calories burned?

Options
Hi everyone!

So, I was wondering how MFP estimates calories burned based on exercise? I have been riding my stationary bike on a daily basis (typically 2-3 times a day. I have been generally putting my workouts as "moderate." I do the weight loss training setting on the bike with resistance going between level 5 and 7. MFP estimates over 700 calories burned for 30 minutes. Is this at all accurate? There is a heart rate monitor on the bike but it is uncomfortable for me to use consistently. I check my heart rate at different points during the workout and it goes from a start (near the beginning of the workout) of around 100 to a high (at the intense levels) of about 130-135. I have a huge amount of weight to lose (200+ lbs) and I really want to optimize my weight loss, so any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks so much!!

Replies

• lattarulol
    lattarulol Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    There are lots of calculators out that that can give you an average burn. In general MFP tends to overestimate calories burned. But, if you are very heavy (450 lbs? took a peek at your profile) and get your heart rate up to those levels then 700 calories for half an hour is a good rough estimate.

Congratulations on taking the first steps towards weight loss. Keep up the good work!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    MFP estimates over 700 calories burned for 30 minutes. Is this at all accurate?

Unless you're Lance Armstrong after a fresh batch of EPO, not a chance in hell.

Divide by 4. At least.
  • lattarulol
    Options

Divide by 4. At least.

Not at her weight. OP, stats are very important when trying to estimate these things so it could help to have them in your post.
  • Marrowshard
    Options
    I too have found that MFP overestimates but I am inclined to agree that weight is a major player in how much you're burning. At the early stages of the game here it's probably close enough for your purposes.
    Looking forward, it will be worth it to find a HRM that is comfortable and works well for you. Chest-strap HRMs are the most accurate, have you looked at buying one (since the one on the stationary bike is uncomfortable)? They don't have to be expensive to work well, and they take into account your starting weight to help gauge calories burned more accurately.
  • paulizzo
    Options
    MFP projects 275 calories an hour for golf using a power cart. That seems very high.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    Not at her weight. OP, stats are very important when trying to estimate these things so it could help to have them in your post.

Even at 350 pounds, you're looking at the equivalent of a 5 mile walk to burn 700 calories.

The true number is likely 200 or less.
  • horselo285
    horselo285 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the responses.

I am currently 468.4 lbs and have lost 34.6 lbs so far. When I do 30 mins on the exercise bike, I typically ride at around 4 miles per hour and do a total of about 2 miles. The resistance gets pretty intense for me at the level 7 mark. 5 is not easy but not super intense and 6 is somewhere in the middle.

I am really interested in getting a heart monitor, but money is short and I doubt the chest straps will fit me. :( Are there any that work efficiently in watch formation?
  • horselo285
    Options

Divide by 4. At least.

What are OP stats? (Sorry- I'm still new to all this lol)
  • lattarulol
    Options

Divide by 4. At least.

OP stands for Original Poster. Stats are your height, weight, age. I think at your weight the 700 is a good enough estimate.
  • lucan07
    lucan07 Posts: 509
    Options
    At 106kg aged 54 with a VO2max of 36.7 I did a 40k ride in 80mins and burnt 1045 calories so it sounds rather high to me!

But I hadn't looked at your weight so may be possible I always use Heart Rate monitor and MFP results tend to be quite high for me!
  • lucan07
    lucan07 Posts: 509
    Options

I am currently 468.4 lbs and have lost 34.6 lbs so far. When I do 30 mins on the exercise bike, I typically ride at around 4 miles per hour and do a total of about 2 miles. The resistance gets pretty intense for me at the level 7 mark. 5 is not easy but not super intense and 6 is somewhere in the middle.

I am really interested in getting a heart monitor, but money is short and I doubt the chest straps will fit me. :( Are there any that work efficiently in watch formation?

Nothing to stop you cutting the elastic strap and stitching or tying in an extension the wrist only are not accurate and polar start from $30 I use an FT1 and calculate calories here

http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/heart-rate-based-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx

then convert to Nett on same site
  • horselo285
    Options

Divide by 4. At least.

OP stands for Original Poster. Stats are your height, weight, age. I think at your weight the 700 is a good enough estimate.

Lol Now I got it!!

To specify, I am 29-years-old (will be 30 in January), 5'7" and weigh 468.4. I don't know how I let my weight get this high (I have always been heavy, but my weight recently is just really ridiculous) and I just want to really optimize my chances of losing weight. I find that I put it on very easily, but taking it off is quite hard (much harder than it used to be).

I have been watching heart rate monitors. Do you think this one is good? http://www.amazon.com/Omron-HR-100C-Heart-Rate-Monitor/dp/B000A5CEUO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1382373000&sr=8-2&keywords=heart+rate+monitor

It's a bit more affordable.

Thanks for all the advice, help and support! I really appreciate it!
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I don't know what a normal burn would be at your weight at the moment. If you have been logging those cals and eating them back and you are still losing, then you have no problem ;-). Your burn will go down as the weight comes off.

Just for your information - all apps, cardio maschines (even those with an integrated hrm/stats) and MFP overestimate my burn alot in comparison to my heartrate monitor. MFP is always the highest. I go by my hrm and only eat 1/3-2/3 back, depending on the day.
  • horselo285
    Options

Nothing to stop you cutting the elastic strap and stitching or tying in an extension the wrist only are not accurate and polar start from $30 I use an FT1 and calculate calories here

http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/heart-rate-based-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx

then convert to Nett on same site

Thank you so much for the info! I really appreciate it!
  • horselo285
    Options
    I don't know what a normal burn would be at your weight at the moment. If you have been logging those cals and eating them back and you are still losing, then you have no problem ;-). Your burn will go down as the weight comes off.

Just for your information - all apps, cardio maschines (even those with an integrated hrm/stats) and MFP overestimate my burn alot in comparison to my heartrate monitor. MFP is always the highest. I go by my hrm and only eat 1/3-2/3 back, depending on the day.

Thanks for the reply! I am losing, but not as fast as I had thought I would. I've never worked so hard at counting calories and exercising as I am now, so I thought more would come off (in the past it would come off when I restricted calories without exercise). This week I only lost 1.6 lbs and last week was around 2. MFP says my calories should be something like 2400 (before exercise) but my doctor said 1800 was fine. I usually eat between 1800 and 2200 (typically 1800 or 1900) and I don't eat any calories I burn from exercise. Is it just gonna take a while for my body to start to really lose or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks so much!
  • mrsomeara
    mrsomeara Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I just want to give you kudos for your hard work and dedication :-) You are going to succeed! Just take it one pound at a time.

Now instead of a HR monitor, have you thought about using a BodyMedia armband (they use them on the Biggest Loser). I wore one in 2011 and it helped me lose 60+ pounds and I am using it again to lose the baby weight now. You can find them on Ebay for a reasonable price:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Exercise-Fitness-/15273/i.html?_from=R40&LH_BIN=1&_nkw=bodymedia&_sop=15
  • horselo285
    Options
    I just want to give you kudos for your hard work and dedication :-) You are going to succeed! Just take it one pound at a time.

Now instead of a HR monitor, have you thought about using a BodyMedia armband (they use them on the Biggest Loser). I wore one in 2011 and it helped me lose 60+ pounds and I am using it again to lose the baby weight now. You can find them on Ebay for a reasonable price:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Exercise-Fitness-/15273/i.html?_from=R40&LH_BIN=1&_nkw=bodymedia&_sop=15

Thank you so much for the kind words!!!

And wow....I didn't even know those existed! lol How exactly do they work? My arms are quite large so I am really not sure if anything that goes on them will work efficiently but I am definitely interested in finding out more!

Thanks again!
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    I am currently 468.4 lbs and have lost 34.6 lbs so far. When I do 30 mins on the exercise bike, I typically ride at around 4 miles per hour and do a total of about 2 miles.
    Yeah, that confirms the burn numbers are way way too high. Right now, your best bet is to ignore the calories burned in exercise, and not eat them back.

Honestly, don't worry about an HRM at this stage of your progress. It won't give you better numbers, and you're already doing great. Keep putting this kind of effort and thought into it, and it will all work out in the long run.
  • mrsomeara
    mrsomeara Posts: 67 Member
    Options

Thank you so much for the kind words!!!

And wow....I didn't even know those existed! lol How exactly do they work? My arms are quite large so I am really not sure if anything that goes on them will work efficiently but I am definitely interested in finding out more!

Thanks again!

It basically tracks your calories burned and along with logging your food, you are able to see your calorie deficit (what you need in order to lose weight). I log my food in MFP and the two sync up together. It also tracks the steps you take and the amount of sleep you get. I am addicted to mine :-) You can get the scientific explanation of how it works on their website www.bodymedia.com.

And if they fit the Biggest Loser contestants then I am sure it would fit you just fine. http://www.bodymedia.com/site/landing/biggestloser.html?whence=
  • horselo285
    Options
    Very cool! I gave in and ordered a heart monitor before you posted about them yesterday. I might return it when it arrives and go for one of those instead! I like that it counts your steps and sleep too. For counting steps, I have a very basic fitbit (tracks steps and calories not sleep) but I washed it and it doesnt work now. :( lol