Anyone have success from eliminating wheat?

Options
A few people have told me recently that they have stopped eating wheat and it has really given them a lot of success with weight loss and improved mood, energy, etc...does anyone on here have any experience from eliminating (or cutting back on) wheat? Not looking for a fad or quick fix, just always looking to improve upon what I'm already doing.

Replies

• nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical condition, there is no need to eliminate anything.

Calorie deficit=weight loss.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    I was miserable when I "accidentally" cut out grains in an otherwise mostly whole food diet. I say "accidentally" because i went like 2 months eating essentially paleo but not thinking about it that way.

It did unthinkable things with my poop that was cured by adding back oatmeal and PB&J's.

I was probably getting 40-60 grams of fiber from fruit and veggies at the time, so it wasn't just a lack of fiber (most grains are not as great of fiber sources in the foods typically consumed as made out anyway).
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    I eliminate it from my system every time I drop a deuce.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    You can cut it out and see how you feel it wont hurt you, but you've come so far and worked so hard. Why do you think you need to incorporate a food restriction into your diet?

My only experience with removing wheat is my clients who have celiac's or my little sister who has celiac's. This is of course a terrible disease with them and they have no choice.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options

I was probably getting 40-60 grams of fiber from fruit and veggies at the time, so it wasn't just a lack of fiber (most grains are not as great of fiber sources in the foods typically consumed as made out anyway).

I have a doctor who argues this with me all the time. He is convinced broccoli is the best source of fiber despite showing him that it would take 2 cups to meet the same amount in 1 slice of whole grain bread. We just go round and round.
  • LindaStL64
    LindaStL64 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've eliminated all flour from my diet. Not just wheat. I think it has helped with bloating. For a while I had more energy but that seems to be going away. Not sure why.
  • courtneywiens
    courtneywiens Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I'm not talking about eliminating all carbohydrates or all grains. Just wheat. Not asking for opinions if you think it's a bad idea. Just asking if anyone has had success with it. If you haven't, then feel free to not comment on this thread.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    And Jesus broke the bread and gave it to each of his disciples and said...Don't ever eat this it will kill you and make you fat...or something like that.

Seriously though, When I first lost my weight I did low carb and did not eat bread products for a long time....Since i have resolved to be less crazy I will never not have bread/buns/bagels/croissants as a normal part of my diet. I have a 3 fold increase in energy as I have increased my carb intake.

I would say, only remove it if you have some sort of genuine intolerance. Otherwise learn to coexist with the bread.
  • courtneywiens
    Options
    Thanks for your insight, that is interesting!
  • courtneywiens
    Options
    And Jesus broke the bread and gave it to each of his disciples and said...Don't ever eat this it will kill you and make you fat...or something like that.

Seriously though, When I first lost my weight I did low carb and did not eat bread products for a long time....Since i have resolved to be less crazy I will never not have bread/buns/bagels/croissants as a normal part of my diet. I have a 3 fold increase in energy as I have increased my carb intake.

I would say, only remove it if you have some sort of genuine intolerance. Otherwise learn to coexist with the bread.

Hahaha thanks! I do feel sluggish and lethargic when I eat more bread, and I feel more energetic when I eat mainly veggies, lean protein, healthy fats, and fruit. I don't want to cut anything out 100% but I've noticed that as I've been eating more wheat I do feel kind of icky sometimes. Anyway this is funny and helpful so thanks!!
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical condition, there is no need to eliminate anything.

Calorie deficit=weight loss.

Agreed
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    A friend brought up another good point regarding the weight loss effect of reducing a carbohydrate source like wheat. So you reduce your total carb intake by reducing wheat but your body still needs fuel (carbs) so it takes it from your glycogen stores. Glycogen binds to water so you get a nice diuretic effect which leads to big weight loss initially. It is not extra fat, its water weight but it tends to provide that immediate feedback and think its a magical thing but it is a mirage.
  • darkangel45422
    darkangel45422 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I follow a Primal lifestyle but as a result rarely if ever eat wheat anymore (the occasional situation arises where I do, usually lunches at work/school that provide sandwiches and nothing else, etc.). I've had no negative side effects whatsoever (won't comment on positives as other aspects of my diet are still abysmal so it'd skew any results anyway). I do find however that I eat more healthy foods as a result.

Personally, I'd say try it. It's not like eliminating wheat from your diet is irreversible; you can feel free to indulge whenever you want, but it's incredibly rare that I hear of anyone who's had issues as a result, and very common that people do well eliminating wheat. Try it and see how it goes for you.
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I had to remove all gluten (wheat & barley products) from my diet due to intollerance issues. It helped with my joint pain, bloating, bowel issues, and sleeplessness. It was not a miracle weight loss though. I still have to work just as hard to lose weight as I did before, it is just now I have to be very careful and read labels.

If you do not have celiacs or an allergy I do not think this is the way you want to go to lose weight.
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I do feel sluggish and lethargic when I eat more bread, and I feel more energetic when I eat mainly veggies, lean protein, healthy fats, and fruit. I don't want to cut anything out 100% but I've noticed that as I've been eating more wheat I do feel kind of icky sometimes.

Some people can be intolerant of wheat, or sensitive to it, without having full-blown celiac disease. There's no nutrient in wheat that you can't get from other foods; it isn't essential at all. If you feel better when you don't eat wheat, then it's fine not to eat it.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I do feel sluggish and lethargic when I eat more bread, and I feel more energetic when I eat mainly veggies, lean protein, healthy fats, and fruit. I don't want to cut anything out 100% but I've noticed that as I've been eating more wheat I do feel kind of icky sometimes.

Some people can be intolerant of wheat, or sensitive to it, without having full-blown celiac disease. There's no nutrient in wheat that you can't get from other foods; it isn't essential at all. If you feel better when you don't eat wheat, then it's fine not to eat it.

Exactly! No one needs to eat wheat. If you think that you might have a gluten intolerance, there are tests for it. It's good to know, because if you have celiac disease, then you need to cut out 100% of gluten from your diet. People with gluten intolerance often need to be that strict too. It's not a matter of eating less wheat.
  • CardiacKev28
    CardiacKev28 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I chose to go gluten free because I have asthma and I have found that I breathe a lot easier. I thought I was going to miss it but I really don't. When I want a sandwich I will use Rudi's bread which I have found to be fantastic. There are a lot of GF products out there but I choose just to stay away from them but when I want some thing there are great substitues like the Rudi's or DeBoles pasta out there. I feel fantastic now. I hope this helps and good luck!
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    I tried to eliminate wheat from my diet once.

It was the worst, most hellish experience of my adult life.

For thirty days I had the bread shakes. I would wake up in the middle of the night in cold grain sweats. About twenty days in I woke up in the middle of a wheat field in Oklahoma. My feet were bloody and my pajamas in tatters. Did I mention that I'm from Louisiana?

Got so bad around day 25 that I thought I could hear amber waves of grain talking to me. Literally, telling me to put them inside me.

I'm not hungry anymore, and I am no longer going through that pain. Join me. Eat the wheat. Let it rule you like the benevolent king it is. You shan't regret it. We promise.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    I tried to eliminate wheat from my diet once.

It was the worst, most hellish experience of my adult life.

For thirty days I had the bread shakes. I would wake up in the middle of the night in cold grain sweats. About twenty days in I woke up in the middle of a wheat field in Oklahoma. My feet were bloody and my pajamas in tatters. Did I mention that I'm from Louisiana?

Got so bad around day 25 that I thought I could hear amber waves of grain talking to me. Literally, telling me to put them inside me.

I'm not hungry anymore, and I am no longer going through that pain. Join me. Eat the wheat. Let it rule you like the benevolent king it is. You shan't regret it. We promise.
    sing it!
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    sing it!

Wheat is mighty neat!
    Controlled both of my feet!
    Though I once tried to delete
    It now makes us complete.

EAT EAT EAT WHEAT
    EAT EAT EAT WHEAT