demoralized after gaining 4 lbs in one weekend

Options
2»

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    To calculate calorie burn, I'm using whatever machine I'm on - like the stairmaster or the elliptical or the treadmill (after inputting my weight). If I'm taking a class (like Zumba or Boot-camp), I usually subtract at least 100-150 calories off what MFP tells me it is - because I know that it gives me too high of a calorie burn number - for instance, an hour Zumba class as a 200 lb person - even though I'm moving and bouncing constantly - I'm well aware that I have not burned 650 calories like MFP wants to give me). I'm really trying to be honest and transparent on my exercise as well as diet, since it would not benefit me to pad my numbers.

When I go to the gym and log in 800-1000 calories, I've probably spent close to 2 hours on various machines, or combination of a class and some machines, plus weights.

2 hours = 120 minutes. 120 minutes * 10 cals per minute = 1200 cals.

800-1000 cals per workout sounds fairly reasonable.
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    To calculate calorie burn, I'm using whatever machine I'm on - like the stairmaster or the elliptical or the treadmill (after inputting my weight). If I'm taking a class (like Zumba or Boot-camp), I usually subtract at least 100-150 calories off what MFP tells me it is - because I know that it gives me too high of a calorie burn number - for instance, an hour Zumba class as a 200 lb person - even though I'm moving and bouncing constantly - I'm well aware that I have not burned 650 calories like MFP wants to give me). I'm really trying to be honest and transparent on my exercise as well as diet, since it would not benefit me to pad my numbers.

When I go to the gym and log in 800-1000 calories, I've probably spent close to 2 hours on various machines, or combination of a class and some machines, plus weights.

Like all of the above said, it's completely water weight. It sounds counter-intuitive, but to get rid of it, you need more water. Drink it up :smile: In about 2-4 days it should start going away. It sucks, I know

I'd also recommend eating a little more than you are, especially if you're going to be doing these workouts on a regular basis. You really don't want to under-nourish yourself, as that's a quick route to illness and discouragement from being constantly exhausted all the time. If you search "in place of a road map", you'll find a method to calculate appropriate calories for your workout level.
  • cummingscb
    Options
    I'm not comfortable going much above 100 grams of protein in one day - my maternal side of the family has polycystic kidneys, and I want to be sure that I'm taking good care of them, just in case.

I've never experimented with eating more than the recommended amount of calories, but now that I'm burning so much more, I guess I need to accomodate my body with more fuel. But I'm just afraid I'll shoot myself in the foot and overeat unintentionally. None of my 39 lbs lost has come off easily - no melting away, like some people have experienced - I've had to fight for each lb, so I'm just very nervous that I'll do something with the best intentions that will upset the apple cart. Thanks for the replies - I'll be taking them into consideration. It may just be my body responding to new demands and holding onto that water (which I drink a ton of).
  • BattleTaxi
    BattleTaxi Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Just by going by your post. I didn't look at your diary. This is just setting yourself up for an epic disaster.

if you burn 1000 calories in a day from working out, and eat 1200 cal. That gives you 200 calories for your body to survive. That's starving.

Try eating maybe oh 2600 calories. I'm just ball parking here. Don't forger rest days too!

This
  • KimJohnsonsmile
    KimJohnsonsmile Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    When you start working your muscles harder than they are used to, they get tiny tears (which is why your muscles hurt). When they get tiny tears, your body retains fluid to try and heal them. As you get more used to the intense workouts, your water retention will go down, as will your weight.

This is a great way to explain it! I'm going to copy this!
  • Adrianachiarato
    Adrianachiarato Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    It happens with me all the time... overnight... really frustrating... gladly we know it isn't fat.
  • JewelsinBigD
    JewelsinBigD Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    You're eating far too little for the amount of exercise you are doing - you are on your wary to having a leptin/thyroid problem if you don't already.

90g of protein is not a lot... you should be eating in the 200g/day range with plenty of carbs... and sugar isn't the monster as people make it out to be.

Also - don't let one weekend discourage you... as an experiment i ate 5000 calories in 12h... i gained 10lbs by the next day...2- 3 days later, I lost 11 lbs.
    This happened to me too- I ate about 3000 calories one day - about twice as many as I should and my scale went up 7 pounds, the next day is was down 5 and I imagine today the other 2 will be gone.
    Make sure you are eating enough though- you should not net 200 calories. You need to make sure you feed your body.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I'm not comfortable going much above 100 grams of protein in one day - my maternal side of the family has polycystic kidneys, and I want to be sure that I'm taking good care of them, just in case.

I've never experimented with eating more than the recommended amount of calories, but now that I'm burning so much more, I guess I need to accomodate my body with more fuel. But I'm just afraid I'll shoot myself in the foot and overeat unintentionally. None of my 39 lbs lost has come off easily - no melting away, like some people have experienced - I've had to fight for each lb, so I'm just very nervous that I'll do something with the best intentions that will upset the apple cart. Thanks for the replies - I'll be taking them into consideration. It may just be my body responding to new demands and holding onto that water (which I drink a ton of).

The question I would ask you is what do you plan to do when you reach your goal and transition into maintenance? One of the great advantages to the MFP method of slow and steady weight loss is that it builds healthy habits that you can use when you're trying to maintain your weight after losing. If you can't increase your calories a bit now then how are you going to learn to increase them when you're ready to stop losing?
  • MikeInAZ
    MikeInAZ Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I will throw my hat into the ring too. You probably had too much salt and it's mostly water. Also, I gain and lose up to 2lbs between AM and PM. Weigh yourself first thing in the AM (after you go to the bathroom). Be consistent as to WHEN you weigh yourself too. I bet by the end of the week you're down to 194 or less!

Try a 3-5 day detox diet. There are plenty of natural detox solutions out there. Just research some, find something at your local health food store, or online. You could be stopped up too!

Good Luck!
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    I will throw my hat into the ring too. You probably had too much salt and it's mostly water. Also, I gain and lose up to 2lbs between AM and PM. Weigh yourself first thing in the AM (after you go to the bathroom). Be consistent as to WHEN you weigh yourself too. I bet by the end of the week you're down to 194 or less!

Try a 3-5 day detox diet. There are plenty of natural detox solutions out there. Just research some, find something at your local health food store, or online. You could be stopped up too!

Good Luck!

nope. We poop and pee, so no reason to go purchase a detox solution.