Calories

Mangoaddict
Mangoaddict Posts: 1,236 Member
edited September 19 in Fitness and Exercise
I might be sounding stupid here but I am new to this site and was wondering...in the calorie evaluation should the end result be = to 0. Is that the goal to lose weight?

Help me out here pls.. here is my calculation for today..

Daily net calorie goal: 1,200
+ calories burned: 225
- calories consumed: 1,792
Calories remaining: -367 (SHOULD THIS VALUE EQUAL to ZERO?)

Replies

• Mangoaddict
    I might be sounding stupid here but I am new to this site and was wondering...in the calorie evaluation should the end result be = to 0. Is that the goal to lose weight?

• hep632
    hep632 Posts: 7
    Yes that is the goal. To lose weight you would need to eat 1,200 calories per day if you were not doing any exercise at all. If you add exercise, then you get to (actually must) eat more calories. So if you did 225 calories worth of exercise, then your daily total goes from 1,200 to 1,425. If you eat 1,700 calories, you are over the goal for maximum weight loss, but you are still under the recommended 2,000 calories per day for women so you will still lose weight.

Of course all these numbers are based on average metabolisms and are guidelines, not strict rules. Find what works for you!

Good luck,
    Holly
  • Mangoaddict
    Thank you for explaining!
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Yes that is the goal. To lose weight you would need to eat 1,200 calories per day if you were not doing any exercise at all. If you add exercise, then you get to (actually must) eat more calories. So if you did 225 calories worth of exercise, then your daily total goes from 1,200 to 1,425. If you eat 1,700 calories, you are over the goal for maximum weight loss, but you are still under the recommended 2,000 calories per day for women so you will still lose weight.

Of course all these numbers are based on average metabolisms and are guidelines, not strict rules. Find what works for you!

Good luck,
    Holly

2,000 calories a day doesn't mean you will lose weight. For some of us, that is very high in fact!

I can't eat over about 1700 calories or so a day, as that is my maintenance amount of calories--meaning if I ate 1700 calories a day, I would neither gain nor loss.

Mangoaddict--

Given the amount of weight that you wish to loss, you probably don't need to be aiming for 1200 a day though--that is too small an amount. That amount of calories is usually best for those with alot to lose, as it is the recommended (here in the States) minimum for women.

You probably want to aim for 1400 or 1500 calories a day and keep your weight loss a slower weight. Otherwise, you're not going to be giving your body enough to eat.
  • ladywalkalot
    ladywalkalot Posts: 230 Member

If the numbers above are correct....you ate over your calories. Yes, you want to have a zero balance at the end of the day.....
  • Mangoaddict
    So, I take it about 1200 plus 225 = 1425...that should be what I aim for?

I am 174lbs and want to be close to 134 or 130lbs by end of this year. Thats how I based my calculations.
  • destiny_206
    destiny_206 Posts: 430 Member

I am 174lbs and want to be close to 134 or 130lbs by end of this year. Thats how I based my calculations.

if you want a higher chance of keeping the weight off in the future have your goal per week be between 1 and 2 lbs a week, so it should take you atleast 20 weeks to lose the 40 lbs, also you dont want nasty saggy skin. there are 23. 5 weeks left in the year so that is reasonable I would make sure to exersize with the calorie counting and make sure the things you are eating are healthy things not just staying under the number. make sure you are staying under carbs and fat and getting some protine to help build muscle. Good luck. If your 174 now 1200 is probubly a little low as a starting point, maybe up it to 1300 or 13500 to make sure you can get the healthy foods in there. I was 194 when I started and the trainer put me at 1500-1600 calories a day. On my own I have been shooting for closer to 1250, but if you are having a hard time with that your body may need the extras.
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I don't think you can and/or should be aiming to lose 140-145 pounds in 5 months. Not only will you probably find it difficult to do but it will be unhealthy.

Again, you should rethink your goals and aim for a 1 pound to 1.5 pound max loss per week.

Please read this post--

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/20035-just-because-you-can-have-a-2-pound-per-week-goal
  • Mangoaddict

I am 174lbs and want to be close to 30 to 40lbs by end of this year. Thats how I based my calculations.

Sorry...I made a typo! Shoot! I meant to say lose 30-40lbs before the end of this year!!!
This discussion has been closed.