PALEO: pros, cons and whatever else you may think?

Options

Replies

• PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    It's a very healthy way of eating. I'm not sure why the people who want to eat McDonald's and Taco Bell all day keep arguing in this thread. Maybe it's to make themselves feel better, who knows, just eat the way that makes you feel good, and ignore the others.

Really?

This is what bothers me about fad diet worshipers.

Just because I don't eat Paleo doesn't mean I eat McDonald's and Taco Bell. Get over yourself.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    It's a very healthy way of eating. I'm not sure why the people who want to eat McDonald's and Taco Bell all day keep arguing in this thread. Maybe it's to make themselves feel better, who knows, just eat the way that makes you feel good, and ignore the others.
    As evidenced by "it's dumb" for paleo. And yet, they think they are super supportive of others. And that "clean" eaters are the primary folks into shaming others. Go figure.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

What about us whole grain and legume eaters? I've made it to a healthy 52 yo by eating these things daily. Never had hypertension, high cholesterol, insulin resistance, bloating, hormone problems, or any other chronic medical problem. When you stick to a Paleo Diet for 30 years or so and can say that, then come back and argue how much healthier your diet is than mine. Come tell me how these beans and peanuts are killing me.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    As evidenced by "it's dumb" for paleo. And yet, they think they are super supportive of others. And that "clean" eaters are the primary folks into shaming others. Go figure.

Paleo is dumb because it prohibits (shames) certain foods.

There is nothing wrong with any of the foods the paleo diet recommends. The problem is the foods it prohibits.

You and Barbellgirl are shaming certain foods. I'm putting down a diet that prohibits certain foods.

Food shaming is bad.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

What about us whole grain and legume eaters? I've made it to a healthy 52 yo by eating these things daily. Never had hypertension, high cholesterol, insulin resistance, bloating, hormone problems, or any other chronic medical problem. When you stick to a Paleo Diet for 30 years or so and can say that, then come back and argue how much healthier your diet is than mine. Come tell me how these beans and peanuts are killing me.
    I eat beans and grains as well. I DO get bloating etc, but know which grains work for me. I don't think they are bad for most people. ymmv, right? I don't feel a lot of preaching from the paleo folks, but perhaps I've been lucky.
    I am quite fine with whatever folks choose as long as it's healthy and they don't shame me or shove theirs down my throat. Someone else mentioned religion. It IS a lot like religion. At least on here.:smile:
  • jonnythan
    Options
    I am quite fine with whatever folks choose as long as it's healthy and they don't shame me or shove theirs down my throat. Someone else mentioned religion. It IS a lot like religion. At least on here.:smile:

And the bolded part is what makes you feel just fine about shaming certain foods, which is too bad. Because otherwise it's a good attitude.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

There is nothing wrong with any of the foods the paleo diet recommends. The problem is the foods it prohibits.

You and Barbellgirl are shaming certain foods. I'm putting down a diet that prohibits certain foods.

Food shaming is bad.
    My comment was more toward your next comment which seems very accepting. Except you're not live and let live. You highlighted that. You said that. Right on the heels of saying it's dumb.

What foods have I shamed, by the way? Other than saying that pizza cone looked awful (personal taste). What foods have I shamed. What foods do I publicly state shouldn't be eaten? What approaches to eating have I publicly shamed here?
    Do you even KNOW how I eat?
    You say I shame foods. You shame eaters.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

I eat beans and grains as well. I DO get bloating etc, but know which grains work for me. I don't think they are bad for most people. ymmv, right? I don't feel a lot of preaching from the paleo folks, but perhaps I've been lucky.

Yes, agree with this 100%. Everyone must find what works for them.

I don't know why, but people suggesting my beans are unhealthy make me pull out my soapbox. Maybe I'm just hungry. Might be time for the black bean and cheese quesadilla I brought for lunch. :tongue:
  • darkangel45422
    darkangel45422 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I already stated above that processed foods has a certain meaning in the common vernacular that does not include any kind of food preparation. If you prefer to argue based on other meanings instead of actually discussing the merits or drawbacks of Paleo then I'm not going to bother indulging you.

I wonder if you asked someone on the street whether soaking a food in preservatives for weeks should be considered "processing" what they would say.

And by the way, the "drawbacks" of Paleo are that it prohibits a whole bunch of delicious, perfectly healthy foods for no reason whatsoever other than "durr caveman wouldn't have eaten that."

Paleo approved bacon wouldn't be cured, preserved, smoked, etc. in anything but Paleo-approved ingredients, so yes, I'd say that most people would say that Paleo approved bacon ISN'T processed.

I've stated MANY times that "durr caveman wouldn't have eaten that" is NOT the reason behind our food choices; again, you're getting bogged down in the caveman thing rather than looking at the science we base our choices on. I doubt you could find a single person who follows Paleo who says that the only reason they do it is because cavemen did; most would point to the fact that there IS some science to show these foods could be unhealthy. You CAN'T say they're perfectly healthy foods because there's science that shows they're bad, some that shows it could be bad, and yes, some that shows they're fine. That doesn't make them fine - that makes them undecided. We chose not to eat them; you choose (presumably) to eat them. That doesn't make your lifestyle any better than mine because you decide if it's not proven bad then it's healthy. What about the reverse - if it's not proven healthy then it's bad? Both are wrong in my opinion, but that's exactly the kind of logic you're arguing here.
  • jonnythan
    Options

Food shaming is bad.
    My comment was more toward your next comment which seems very accepting. Except you're not live and let live. You highlighted that. You said that. Right on the heels of saying it's dumb.

What foods have I shamed, by the way? Other than saying that pizza cone looked awful (personal taste). What foods have I shamed. What foods do I publicly state shouldn't be eaten? What approaches to eating have I publicly shamed here?

I don't care how YOU eat. I only care when you tell other people no to eat certain kinds of foods for bogus reasons.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Food shaming is bad.

I don't care how YOU eat. I only care when you tell other people no to eat certain kinds of foods for bogus reasons.
    When have I done that? Seriously. I think you've conflated me with another user. I've never prescribed, except when women with PCOS ask for suggested lifestyle suggestions. I know a bit about that, via a family member, so I make suggestions.
    When have I EVER told people not to eat certain kinds of foods on these boards for any reason, bogus or not?

so yes, on the heels of live and let live you're shaming their choice. Nice.
  • Barbellgirl
    Barbellgirl Posts: 544 Member
    Options

Food shaming is bad.

Actually read my post again. I'm not shaming any food, I'm shaming the people (you might be one of them) that are constantly trying to make people feel bad for their choices. You have your way of eating and if someone wants to follow a paleo eating lifestyle what's it to you? The fast food and processed food manufacturers will still be in business and you'll still have lots of choices that fit your eating style. You shouldn't feel threatened at all. Cheers. :flowerforyou:
  • paleojoe
    paleojoe Posts: 442 Member
    Options

And the bolded part is what makes you feel just fine about shaming certain foods, which is too bad. Because otherwise it's a good attitude.

I think it would have been better worded as...
    I am quite fine with whatever folks choose, as long as they don't shame me or shove theirs down my throat.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Paleo approved bacon wouldn't be cured, preserved, smoked, etc. in anything but Paleo-approved ingredients, so yes, I'd say that most people would say that Paleo approved bacon ISN'T processed.

You're literally wrong. This statement is factualy wrong, logically wrong, pragmatically wrong, and vernacularly (is that a word?) wrong.

Bacon is pork belly that has been soaked for an extended period of time in a preservative solution. There is no definition of the word processing for which this is not processing.

And I guarantee you that Paleolithic people didn't soak their pork belly in preservatives and then smoke it.
    I've stated MANY times that "durr caveman wouldn't have eaten that" is NOT the reason behind our food choices; again, you're getting bogged down in the caveman thing rather than looking at the science we base our choices on. I doubt you could find a single person who follows Paleo who says that the only reason they do it is because cavemen did; most would point to the fact that there IS some science to show these foods could be unhealthy. You CAN'T say they're perfectly healthy foods because there's science that shows they're bad, some that shows it could be bad, and yes, some that shows they're fine. That doesn't make them fine - that makes them undecided. We chose not to eat them; you choose (presumably) to eat them. That doesn't make your lifestyle any better than mine because you decide if it's not proven bad then it's healthy. What about the reverse - if it's not proven healthy then it's bad? Both are wrong in my opinion, but that's exactly the kind of logic you're arguing here.

The appeal to science is specious. This didn't start with someone excluding a bunch of foods from their diet because science said they're bad, followed by that person noticing "hey this stuff we're left with is how Paleolithic people ate!" It was the other way: it was someone deciding that a "Paleolithic" diet is good, forming a list of good and bad foods, and then trying to find science to support it. Problem is that it's not even how Paleolithic people ate.
  • kkerri
    kkerri Posts: 276 Member
    Options

[/quote]

I did a vegan diet for the better part of the last 20 years. Tons of whole grains and legumes. It didn't end up being the healthiest thing for me.
  • darkangel45422
    darkangel45422 Posts: 234 Member
    Options

Food shaming is bad.

So any way of eating, or nutritional recommendation that says certain foods are less healthy than others and should be chosen less often is bad? You've just now prohibited pretty much every body of nutritional science as well as every way of eating - good job!
  • jonnythan
    Options

Food shaming is bad.

Actually read my post again. I'm not shaming any food, I'm shaming the people (you might be one of them) that are constantly trying to make people feel bad for their choices. You have your way of eating and if someone wants to follow a paleo eating lifestyle what's it to you? The fast food and processed food manufacturers will still be in business and you'll still have lots of choices that fit your eating style. You shouldn't feel threatened at all. Cheers. :flowerforyou:

I don't feel threatened. I don't care if anyone follows a paleo eating style, either.

I care about intellectual honesty and misinformation.
  • rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    Options

If it's not cured and smoked and preserved, it's not bacon. If it is cured, smoked and preserved, its processed, hence, not paleo.

I honestly don't care what people do, but hypocrisy is really depressing.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

I don't feel threatened. I don't care if anyone follows a paleo eating style, either.

I care about intellectual honesty and misinformation.
    You care quite a bit. Zealots often do. The recently converted are often zealots.
  • jonnythan
    Options

Food shaming is bad.

So any way of eating, or nutritional recommendation that says certain foods are less healthy than others and should be chosen less often is bad? You've just now prohibited pretty much every body of nutritional science as well as every way of eating - good job!

Any diet that says any food is inherently bad without solid scientific evidence is itself bad, yes... especially if it tries to attach a silly name and bogus "philosophy" to it.

Paleo falls into those categories.