Does myfitnesspal really work?

Options

Replies

• mfpseven
    mfpseven Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    70lbs I could not have lost without counting calories, eating better and working out. I say yes!
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    No, it does nothing by itself. But with some dedication from you it can become one of the greatest tools in your mission to burn.

When I started my MFP account in 2012, I wasn't serious about losing weight. I liked scanning food with my phone, but that was about it. I had just quit smoking and was eating like a horse. Nine months later, my butt could have shared a stable with one. When I got serious on June 3rd of this year was when MFP became indispensable.

That was 145 days and over fifty lbs ago. It would not have happened without MFP.
  • cookiealbright
    cookiealbright Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    It works, if you eat less and move more than you did before you joined. Welcome! :flowerforyou:
  • MommaChocoLatte
    MommaChocoLatte Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    It absolutely works as long as YOU work it. Be honest with yourself, weigh and log everything you put into your mouth and you will succeed. :bigsmile:
  • 58Rock
    58Rock Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    It is a tool. And like any other tool, if you use it the way it was meant to be used it will help you get done what you need to get done. It will not stop you from stuffing that Big Mac down your throat. It will not make you get up off the couch and go for a walk. Use it right and it will open your eyes to what and how much you have been eating.
  • Brandon_Wood
    Options
    Honesty and consistency

This, and forgiveness. Do the best you can. If you make a mistake, fail to log, etc. Forgive yourself and commit to making better choices next time. It's what has worked for me.

MFP and the people on it have been great.
  • kobiemom
    kobiemom Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I was on ww until they changed their plan. It doesn't work for me now. MFP tracking and online support groups are like ww. You can post questions and get lots of answers. Most of them are helpful. The difference for me was that I had to find what worked for me instead of blindly doing what I was told to do. I made mistakes and lost some time, but now I know for myself. I have many friends who are chronic ww members. They join/lose/fall off the program/gain and join again every three or four years. I don't want to do that to my body or my wallet. Like Eminem says: "The program works if you work the program." He wasn't talking about this, but it still works! Good luck!
  • apedeb09
    apedeb09 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Absolutely, but you need to put in the effort to make it work. Try to eat healthier foods, find your calorie goal that MFP sets for you depending on how many pounds per week you want to lose, and follow it. Log everything you eat so you know how many calories you are consuming. Exercising isn't mandatory, you could still lose weight by following the calorie goal but it's definitely recommended that you do some sort of exercise at least a few days a week. You can do it! This site is awesome in helping you achieve your weight loss goals.
  • niricava
    niricava Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    This definitely works. I have found it so much easier. Now I feel like I'm in control because I'm more aware of the calories/value of the food I'm eating. I'm so proud to say that I've lost 31 pounds and am fast approaching my pre-pregnancy weight. I only wish it didn't take me 8 years to figure it out!
  • cathyg321
    cathyg321 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    ABSOLUTELY!!
    I tried WW a year or so ago, and though many have had success, I found it very difficult. I didn't join the program, just counted the points every day - for EVERY meal.

I stumbled on this back in May,and have never looked back. It is SO easy! I have been here over 145 days straight, and I can tell you, this is so motivating! It shows you what you have to eat on a daily basis. If you are doing exercise and have that set up, it will show you how much you have to work out to reach your goals.

YES! It absolutely works!!! MFP people are absolutely wonderful and encouraging!!

*This truly is a WAY OF LIFE that you can live with. It is a LIVE it, not a die it !
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    just a lil' :)
  • Cherilgrl
    Options
    It works better than WW for me. I like getting 1320 calories vs 30 pts.
    1320 is a bigger number and my brain adapted quickly.

I agree! Plus it's easier to log calories than to calculate points for everything!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    The only thing that really works on MFP is the logging as far as results. That is what will give you the most benefit. It keeps you aware and conscience about the food that goes into your mouth. The most successful people are those who consistently find a way to log and track.

The other great thing about MfP is the apps, the friends option, and the progress graphs.

Otherwise, MFP isnt anything special it's just a tool. There is no diet. It's simply knowing what you are eating.
  • Cherilgrl
    Options

:laugh: Love it!! I can see by your profile pic that it works....GREAT!!
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    It's only a calculator. It calculates figures for the numbers and functions you tell it to do.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options

hehehe it works like a charm if you use it right! lost 95 pounds in 11 months, but thats with 100% honesty on what i ate, how much, and accurately loging it! dishonest logging will only cheat yourself, so theres no use doing it just to have your diary "LOOK" perfect...
  • BajaDreamin333
    BajaDreamin333 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    From my perspective, it is a big fat YES. Obviously the most important ingredient is your own personal commitment. But I've had success on this site where I've failed everywhere else - including Weight Watchers. I was at my heaviest 240 lbs. I lost about 40 pounds with just basic dieting (ie, stopped eating burgers and fries every day) and then I got stuck. Then a year later I lost 10, over the next few years I went between 190 and 175 and leveled out at 175. I tried everything, low carb, gym workouts with a trainer, quitting alcohol - nothing. The scale would not move past 175. Sometimes I would go up 10 lbs, and take that off again, but I was convinced 175 was my weight forever. Then I found MFP (last March) and have lost 24 pounds. Most of that came off within the first couple of months.

Here's why I think it works. One, if you choose to find a community, you can get great support. Everyone on this site is either where you are, has been there, or will be there, so there is tons of emphathy and knowledge. I think the actual counting of calories is key though. WW gives you tools with points, but that never worked with me. I need the real-read-the-lable-and-know information. I was eating WAY too much, and once I was aware of that, the weight came off. I make better choices to make the most of my calorie budget. I have accountability with my MFP community, and I have a place to gripe when the scale makes me mad, or I eat an entire cheesecake, or I hit a goal and want to cheer.

So if you're committed, and ready to be honest in logging, it is an amazing program. It doesn't hurt if you can add some physical activitity too, since that means you can eat more, and your body will change faster. But I'm a big fan - it's amazing, just read some of the success stories!
  • sonree
    sonree Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks that was very helpful
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    MFP is what you make of it, it is a tool not a plan, you make the plan therefore it is up to you if it works or not
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

hehehe it works like a charm if you use it right! lost 95 pounds in 11 months, but thats with 100% honesty on what i ate, how much, and accurately loging it! dishonest logging will only cheat yourself, so theres no use doing it just to have your diary "LOOK" perfect...

The body keeps a perfect record, regardless of what you write down.....