Does myfitnesspal really work?

Options

Replies

• calliekitten9
    calliekitten9 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    It does work....and what I like best is that I can use the app on my phone when I'm at a restaurant to get an "estimate" of calories.
  • cl_green
    Options
    Welcome to the club, and congrats on deciding to make a life style change!

MFP is a great tool to assist and help keep you motivated. It works as much as you utilize it :)
  • LiamWS
    LiamWS Posts: 4
    Options
    Works for me, not the site, but helping to keep track.
  • tanashai
    tanashai Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Done good so far! I've dropped 48 pounds and am on the way to dropping 50 to be the lowest weight I've been in roughly eight years :) But the key is definitely to hold yourself accountable-log everything you eat, exercise regularly (mo calories!), be forgiving when things hit the fan and be flexible-your calorie needs will change for example!

PS: I'm doing it without a food scale ;) Dirty little secret, ha ha!
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    Yes. If you do it right.
    Get a food scale to ensure that you're accurately logging and make sure you don't over estimate your calorie burns so you don't give yourself too many extra calories.
  • markpmc
    markpmc Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard. MFP really doesn't do any work, you/we do the work.

Find a few supportive friends, open up your food diary and get to work :)

On the numbers/calorie goals the MFP sets, they're not bad for a start. But there are better methods you can use once you're on your way.
  • aklove907
    aklove907 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    It only works if you put in the effort and follow the plan. Calories in- calories out= deficit= weight loss. Healthy food and exercise. There is no secret to make it work. Just you. Good Luck!! There are tons of friendly and motivation people on here, you came to the right place. :)

^^ This says it all! I have found it is an amazing way to document and to track. I LOVE the "reports", and having the community boards for support is great also! Good luck on your loss! Document EVERYTHING and stay MOVING!
  • tonynguyen75
    tonynguyen75 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    This ****s a cult.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    No. It is all a lie.
  • xRiverX
    xRiverX Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Love MFP its so easy after a couple of weeks it help you to stop being greedy (in my case).

I started MFP 2 months ago the last month Ive been Intermittent fasting with this tool and its soooooo easy and getting results.
  • IbiH
    IbiH Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I should think so.... check out my ticker below .........
  • Sovictorrious
    Sovictorrious Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    No I lost all my weight from not eating sugar.
  • CWill50000
    Options
    Absolutely! I lost 62 lbs and have kept it off for nearly a year. My BMI is ideal for longest life expectancy now. I have logged in for 535 days in a row and still counting. Just like a bank account - you get a deposit every morning and bonus with exercise. Calories are withdrawals. Don't lie on the setup though, be sure to accurately note your normal activity level. If you lie about what and how much you eat, you only cheat yourself. Buy a good food scale, set of measuring cups and spoons and use them. You will eventually learn how much you are eating and eventually can get away from measuring everything.
  • ElyseL1
    ElyseL1 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    yep, i lost 50 lbs. you cant hold myfitness pal responsible you can just become more aware of what your eating.
  • TheEffort
    TheEffort Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    No, it's all smoke and mirrors.

Seriously tho - it works as long as you put in the effort and stick with it.
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I was successful with weight watchers because I am frugal and spending $17/month was motivation for me to log faithfully. I am successful with MFP because I know that logging works for weight loss, and MFP is the easiest way that I've found to log food and exercise.
  • nmiller0813
    Options
    it works if you make it work for you. Like any other program, you have to make a committment and be disciplined, to it, and to yourself. And, you have to be completely honest with your logging, even on the days that you dont' do so well. Actually, those are the best days for me as it makes me want to get back on track quickly, because I can't stand seeing that I have gone over my allotment for the day. But, I digress.. this is a fantastic tool to use, if you are serious about using a tool to help you succeed.

There are a ton of groups and forums and a bazillion friends for you to choose from to give you the support and advice that you may need and/or want.
  • SwitzEngine
    SwitzEngine Posts: 3,418 Member
    Options
    It's up to you. MFP is just a tool. The tool is as good as you handle it.

Correct use of MFP can give u a boost to invest more. But u need to have time and a strong will to be able to see the desired goal.

good luck
  • eazy_
    eazy_ Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    No, it's all smoke and mirrors.

Seriously tho - it works as long as you put in the effort and stick with it.

I see what you did there.
  • TIMv4
    TIMv4 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Even when the logging was ugly, it was useful. I've had a few runs of being over the calorie goals for a month or two but logging the good and bad helps bring better choices back around.

I usually cross check the cardio exercises with other sources when logging in the extra calories since some categories seem too optimistic with the burn.

The first couple of weeks of logging can be an eye opener and help break those cravings for certain snacks. They take up too much of the daily calories and don't fill you anyways.