Does myfitnesspal really work?

Options

Replies

• amymt10
    amymt10 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    yes!!!!!!!!! You must be honest w/yourself though. Count cals correctly.-- measure & weigh your food. Heart rate monitor helps if you plan on exercising.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. It changed my life. Counting calories is eye opening.

this.
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    It is not the tool that works , but the person who uses it.
  • fedupfatty86
    fedupfatty86 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Absolutely it works, but you have to work the program. Track everything, eat less, and move more
  • loriq41
    loriq41 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    If you are honest...LOG EVERYTHING and follow the rules...if you cheat yourself..well, then you stay the weight you are!
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    Even when the logging was ugly, it was useful. I've had a few runs of being over the calorie goals for a month or two but logging the good and bad helps bring better choices back around.

I usually cross check the cardio exercises with other sources when logging in the extra calories since some categories seem too optimistic with the burn.

The first couple of weeks of logging can be an eye opener and help break those cravings for certain snacks. They take up too much of the daily calories and don't fill you anyways.

This ^^^ Well put!
  • Naener
    Naener Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. It changed my life. Counting calories is eye opening.

this.

Yep. LOG EVERYTHING. Being honest with yourself is the key... if youre really stickign to your deficit and logging everything that goes in.. no matter how small.. a pretzel here, a soda there... LOG IT.
  • kluvit
    kluvit Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I went from a size 8/10 to a 0/2 in six months, and two years later, I've moved on from skinny fat to a very solid 00/0. I'm actually a couple of pounds heavier than my total weight loss, but smaller sizes and better body, and exactly where I want to be. Use it! Stay within your calorie limits by limiting portions and working out without depriving yourself completely of your favorite foods. Stick with the process and enjoy your progress.
  • pawnstarNate
    pawnstarNate Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    does it work?! Have you seen the tickers around this place or do you just ignore them? :laugh:
  • Rebekah718
    Rebekah718 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    It defintaely works i would recoomend adding people to your friends i get so much encouragement and learn so much from them
  • drizzlesugar
    Options
    It works but you need to log in everyday and being honest is the most important aspect. I have lost 15 lbs so far and have had more success with this program than anything else I have tried. Plus it's free!:flowerforyou:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I just started yesterday, I heard this was a lot like weight watchers so I decided to join. I can't afford ww right now. I just wanted some encouraging words.

MFP is just a tool...you're the one putting in the work. MFP gives you a calorie goal with a deficit built in as per statistical averages for someone of your same or similar stats. It's up to you to adhere to said goal and manage your nutrients and be as accurate as possible. Calorie counting whether you are using MFP or any other calculator requires precision and consistency.
  • RicaFit
    RicaFit Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have been on weight watchers for about three months. I had limited success (about .25lbs a week AVERAGE - some weeks none, some weeks a pound), but was not really doing as well my efforts should produce. I have switched back to myfitnesspal completely. I figured I would keep using both to compare. Within four days, I knew the superiority of this plan. In the past I never explored the friends support, the nutritional tools, and the custom features. The nutrition tools helped me see where my issues were with WW. They also aided me in directing my daily eating. I was able to evaluate my foods in a way that works and realized that my point system allowed a very imbalanced way of eating that was not beneficial for health or my weight loss. I also see that my husband was loosing weight, but he was eating a lot of sugars and still hungry. A moody, skinny husband is not fun either. By supplementing his lunches with veggies and fruits, he was still grumpy, but by adding more at dinner instead of leaving out substantial veggies (kale, collards, asparagus), he is full and not grumpy. By using myfitnesspal, I am able to eat not only a healthy balance, but i am able to evaluate and track my eating and exercise habits as I go. I never can blow a diet. I might decided to eat something like a BLT for lunch, but I just alter my following meals accordingly with little effort. I have cancelled both our weight watchers accounts. I am glad I did it because I was able to see I was eating a very small amount and still struggling to loose. Now I am watching nutritional values on the phone app as I eat through the day. I knew I would have collard greens for my snack today based on my breakfast and lunch lacking any substantial veggies. It is the best tool I have found. Last year I started with this plan and lost, but after surgery stop tracking. Now I am back to exercising and tracking & making sure my meals are filling and satisfactory. I saw more weight loss this morning. I wish you the best.
  • Wrangler1949
    Wrangler1949 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Iv'e tried a couple of tracking systems and so fat My Fitness Pal is my favorite. I started following along when my wife joined Weight Watchers this past spring. It helped me learn what foods to eat but I found the points system was a little confusing and cumbersome. Later I bought a FitBit One. Their website helped a lot. It helped establish goals for diet and exercise and it tracks calories which I found much better than the points system. My weight loss is much more consistant now. My wife still goes to Weight Watchers but has also given up the points in favor of tracking calories. I am now walking 3 1/2 to 5 miles a day for exercise and this week started jogging. I heard about My Fitness Pal in the chats on the FitBit site and switched to it a few days ago. I think it will work fine for you.

I am now using My Fitmess Pal to track my diet and Garmin's Forerunner 210 to track my exercise and I am well pleased with both.
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    I've done weight watchers in the past. One thing I like about MFP, besides it being free, is that I've learned a lot on here from other members. Make sure that when you plug your info into the calorie goal calculator, that it is accurate. MFP doesn't do a good job of describing activity levels, so be cautious, or you will find yourself hungry all the time, from lack of calories. Lol. Also, try to find a good way to measure your activity, such as a heart rate monitor, because you should eat back your exercise calories. Some folks just eat back half of them. I eat them when I'm hungry, which happens to be pretty often. Lol. Feel free to add me.
  • skiersteve12345
    skiersteve12345 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    sure does and it makes losing weight extremely easy since you dont cut anything out (at least most people dont) so you eat like you normally would you just eat less of it :)
  • gmiranda91
    Options
    It does, but you have to be honest and accurate tracking everything you eat and do down. Only then can it help you stay mindful of what you're doing so you can develop better habits.
  • WVNTX
    WVNTX Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks to MFP, I have seen weight loss results for the first time in my life. If you are honest with yourself about what you are eating, logging everything you put into your mouth, and eating the right things, it does aid in successful weight loss. Throw in exercise, and you're on your way. I exercise 1-2 hours per day, 6 days per week, and I don't eat back any of my exercise calories unless I feel hungry. You CAN do this. Even when you don't feel like it, put on those workout clothes and tie up those sneakers and get moving!!
  • Ywecker
    Options
    Yes, it works and is truly enlighteneing. Have lost over 12 lbs in 6 weeks through diet and excercise. The other comments are spot on. You need to track everything you eat; measure and/or weigh your food and try to get in some excercise. The other benefit is knowing what is in the food you eat (vitamins, minerals, sugar, sodium, potassium etc.) besides just the carbs, protein and fat.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    YES

I ACCIDENTALLY MADE A CRAP-TON (that's imperial measurement system before all you metric nazis jump my case) OF FITNESS OBSESSED FRIENDS!

That's what this place is for right? Finding Fitness Pals? Like online dating, but to make friends instead?

Good, I thought so.