Fitbit and other gadgets

Options
What's your favorite and why??? Thinking of getting one of these...just not sure which one...

thanks!
Tammy

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    FitBit - it's so easy to use (just wear it - nothing else required), it's discrete (not like the giant ugly arm bad that BodyMedia uses), it seems to be accurate.

Edited to add - I have the FitBit One.
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    I love the bodymedia one. After a ton of research I decided to go with the bodymedia as I used it before with a ton of success. Anyone can take this as they wish but the fitbit seems to be more of a glorified pedometer. The bodymedia band, while ugly, works off of tons of different sensors to get body temp, movement etc to calculate caloric burn. It *should* be far more accurate as it takes the readings and it doesn't just clip on.

I do know people that love the fitbit, I just can't see it being as accurate. Like, it can't track when you are lifting I've been told.

I'm in Wisconsin so basically from October through March or April I will probably be wearing long sleeves. The only time I won't be wearing it is if I go out somewhere for a date with shortsleeves/sleevelss OR when I'm on vacation in Mexico as I won't be able to see my stats anyways.

I swear by the BodyMedia... I'd rather look funny with an armband now than look chubby forever and it's what works for me :)
  • captmiddy
    captmiddy Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    First: FitBit Ultra - It is small, easy to use, syncs wirelessly to my PC (and eventually to my phone), has an easy to use app for my phone to track progress.

Second: Food Scale - wouldn't be where I am now without really tracking my food consumption.

Third: LifeSpan Fitness Treadmill Desk - 90% of my weekly activity is now done during work hours rather than that being me sitting in a chair for 40 hours straight every week.

Finally: FitBit Aria Scale - Easily tracks my weight for me every day and I don't have to even think about it. Step on in the morning and then go off and do my day. Nice graphs to track progress.
  • iRun_Butterfly
    iRun_Butterfly Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Love my fitbit flex, it has really motivated me to move more, well worth the $ in my opinion. I also have the fitbit Aria scale. I'm a total gadget junkie. If you are into that kind of thing, they are worth the investment.
  • xapril77x
    xapril77x Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I have the "giant ugly armband" by BodyMediaFit & I really like it. From everything I've researched it's the most accurate of all the devices. I don't mind wearing it. I guess it just comes down to personal preference. I like the reports I can print or save to my pc also. but yes, it would be even better if it were a wristband instead of an armband but I don't feel like it would be as accurate. Just my opinion.
  • AJOjr
    AJOjr Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit One and love it. The only down side (in my opinion) is and activity that has a stepping motion is tracked and calories accounted for /transferred to MFP and you don't get the post in the feed about calories burned. You could look at that as an upside too because you don't have to log anything with a stepping motion.
  • jmcreynolds91
    jmcreynolds91 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I have the "ugly" bodymedia too. I dont mind the armband at all and seems to be very accurate. It has helped me loose these last few stubborn pounds too.
  • ironmonkeystyle
    ironmonkeystyle Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    super thorough fitness toy reviews:
    http://www.dcrainmaker.com/
  • FlamencoGal
    FlamencoGal Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Fitbit Zip and I ADORE it!!!!!!!!
  • HeatherRM14
    HeatherRM14 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I had a BodyMedia Fit and then my husband's work gave out FitBits to everyone including spouses. I wore my FitBit and BodyMedia Fit simultaneously for a couple weeks and compared data. They were pretty close on all counts..steps, calories burned daily so I switched to just the FitBit and didn't have to pay the $6.95/month fee for the BodyMedia site.

That said, I will be asking for a Polar Loop for Christmas!
  • cbattles516
    cbattles516 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Jawbone UP. Love that it tracks sleep as well as activity and I can wear it on my wrist all the time. No need to switch it to a wrist band like the FitBit. However I look at it as more of a novelty.

I researched all the other options, but the UP seemed best for me. While the BodyMedia one is probably the best scientifically. The FitBit seemed to give the same thing as the UP and the Pulse wasn't released yet. Today I would probably have bought the Pulse because it tracks elevation as well. In other words it knows when you are walking up stairs vs. walking downhill.

Withings scale: Automatic upload of weight & body fat data to withings website and MFP. I can step on the scale as much as I want and it logs it. It lets me see how my weight changes on a daily basis and throughout the day. It also reads and logs CO2 levels and temperature in my bedroom. Best purchase ever.

Of course I'm a geek at heart being an engineer.

Ofc if I'm exercising I'm wearing a HRM connected to either my Garmin 410CX watch for regular activities like hiking, walking, etc. or my Garmin 510 if I'm riding my bike.

Edit to add the Garmin stuff.
  • dacspace
    dacspace Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I have both the Fitbit Flex and the Bodymedia "ugly" armband.

I haven't used the armband in quite a while. When I did use it, I loved all the stats and info it gave me. I stopped using it after the price kept going up for the monthly tracking website/account. I just thought it was a bit crazy that I paid X amount for the device then I have to pay X amount each month to see my stats?!?! Seriously?!?!

I'm currently using the Flex (have it on right now). I wear it daily but don't have it set up to adjust with MFP. I started out that way and while it was cool it became very confusing. I just track my exercise like always. The flex is worn on the wrist so it doesn't clip onto anything. It's fairly bland so it's mos people don't notice it (if you are worried about that aspect). It tells you steps, distance, calories burned (based on personal info given), active minutes, sleep patterns (awesome by the way), and syncs with MFP. When you have it synced and use the Fitbit app it gives you details about calories in vs. calories out, number of calories consumed, and water consumed based on your entries in MFP.

Either one is a great motivator. It just depends on personal preference. Fitbit has a new tracker out that includes a wrist display... looks pretty cool!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    What exactly are you considering? What's the "other gadgets" consist of?

Personally, my garmin is my favorite gadget. Time, distance, speed, elevation and cals... doesn't get much better than that.
  • mwitt07
    mwitt07 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I am a total gadget junkie. I purchased a fitbit ultra about a year ago and I wore it every single day with the goal of getting in 10,000 steps and 5 miles per day. I didn't this successfully 99% of the time. I was disappointed when I noticed it beginning to crack down the middle and a few chips on the side so I replaced it with the fitbit flex. It is awesome because you don't have to worry about it falling off like I did sometimes with the ultra. I also have a polar HRM which I use when I go to zumba to get an accurate calorie burn total.
  • bugaha1
    bugaha1 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I used the Fitbit Ultra for a few months and it really did work great for motivation. Now I use Polar FT7 Heart Rate Monitor Watch/Strap and I use Runkeeper app. for running, walking and cycling. I use my HRM more for caloies burned the app works great for time and distance since it will pause when I stop at lights and such.
  • ladymm40
    Options
    I love my $21 dollar Omron pedometer....its pretty accurate and the price was great.
  • cjohn2278
    cjohn2278 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I also have a boddy bugg and I love it! I rarely wear sleeveless shirts so I am able to hide it under my clothes and nobody knows! I think that it is really accurate as I have been able to lose every week that I have worn it...which has been off and on for over a year!
  • jweisshoff
    jweisshoff Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Fitbit One here.....and love it! :smile:
  • jrbb03092
    jrbb03092 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit one and I love it. I move way more than I did before owning it. You have to manually add anything that is not step-related (walking, running, etc are fine) like biking or rowing but since the majority of my exercise is walking and jogging, I'm thrilled with it and when I was doing Jillian Michaels DVDs, I would simply log an activity record for it and get my extra calories and activity intensity added.
  • twooliver
    twooliver Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!! This is very helpful!! Now I want one of everything!!! Haha!