So basically I can have water

Options
I have been trying to lose weight and getting advice from all sorts of folks. I have come to the conclusion that I can only have water! I am so sick and tired of people saying watch calories, no carbs, cut out sugar, no fruit oh wait you can't have dairy. Oh and blah blah blah! So what diet am I supposed to follow. I have been going along good losing about 7 pounds so far. Then my friend (who btw refuses to make her MFP public so she can help me) tells me oh no you don't wanna eat apples ew gross cottage cheese is horrible for you. So I ask the great and powerful OZ WTF can I eat!!!!????? I enjoy eating the foods I eat. I also work out super hard. Is there really any thing wrong with apples and cottage cheese or an F*ing cheeseburger if I am hitting it like Arnold at the gym?? Please this is a serious ? what is the healthiest plan to follow?

Replies

• qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    LMAO hitting it like arnold at the gym hahahahaha
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    No, eat what you want. My idea of the healthiest plan to follow will be different from the person that posts below me, I guarantee it.
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    No, eat what you want. My idea of the healthiest plan to follow will be different from the person that posts below me, I guarantee it.

I agree with ^ this guy.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    There are no bad foods. Cottage cheese is wonderful! Eat the foods you love and do not deprive yourself of anything! I have lost 122lbs in 15 months and I eat ice cream every day!:drinker: Read these:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    http://impruvism.com/flexible-dieting-basics/
  • helenrosemay
    helenrosemay Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Don't follow anyone else's plan, follow your own. Eat what you like and what you know is healthy. If you're doing so well so far keep on doing what you're doing. Everyone is different and likes different foods so you could spend your life following everyone else's plan when your's is working fine for you.
  • HotSouthernMess
    HotSouthernMess Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation. It it is not something you can maintain, long-term...then I would not suggest doing it. That's how you end up gaining weight back. (Or, that's how I ended up gaining all my weight back). People go on these crazy crash diets and they either give up because it is too hard and unrealistic...or they reach goal, starting eating "normal" foods again and blow back up. To each their own I guess...but I don't think you should limit anything. Want some ice cream??? EAT IT!!!
  • MommaChocoLatte
    MommaChocoLatte Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Eat what you want, stay within your plan, weigh everything, and be happy :)
  • tonybalony01
    tonybalony01 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Keep eating sensibly and exercising. As long as your output (calories burned) it greater than your input (calories consumed), you'll be fine.
    And, yes, apples, fruit, milk, cottage cheese and cheese burgers are fine.
    Just don't hit the all you can eat buffet all day every day.
    Oh, and keep hitting the gym like Arnold (love that line).
  • bettermistakes87
    bettermistakes87 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Diets suck. Diet brings up all these ideas about restrictions and limitations and will inevitably incur an uprising from our inner two year old who can only be satiated with oreos and cheese poofs. You need to just focus on nourishing your body and making some long-lasting changes in the way you eat (think more veggies and fruits and protein--yes even the occasional cheesburgery protein is fine). Basically- stay within your calorie range and eat the things that satiate you and give you joy.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    your friend is - with all due respect - an idiot..

Just eat in a calorie deficit, try to hit your macros each day, and work out some and you will lose...

calories in vs calories out my friend....

Sugar and carbs do not make you fat, overeating makes you fat..

so you can eat pretty much what you want, and as long as you stay in a calorie deficit you will be good to go.
  • cosmonew
    cosmonew Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    bump: for the mulltiple links in the links, for reading.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Well...let me tell you what I have been eating and then you can decide if what you have "heard" from your friend is true or not. I have lost a total of 30 lbs since January 1st. I eat ice cream, pizza, drink sodas, drink coffee with cream and sweeteners (I use stevia), eat pasta, apples and fruit of all sorts, and drink flavored water.

At the end of the day, if you have a calorie deficit you will lose weight. It is just easy math.

And actually, cottage cheese is very good for you. It is a good source of calcium and protein. I stick to the lower fat cottage cheese, only because I prefer whole fat salad dressings and stuff so need to balance somewhere. And apples...why did they say no apples exactly? That little thing made me laugh actually.

As for the water thing, you don't -have- to stick to water. And the whole "64 oz of water" thing has been admitted to have been a misunderstanding by the very people who suggested it in the first place, but people still refuse to listen. Your fluid intake could be more or less, but it doesn't have to be -only- water. Water is 0 calorie so it is the fluid of choice for a lot of people, because really 64 oz of soda and then most people's calorie intake would be shot lol. I personally use the water flavoring like the Mio or the generics from the grocery stores or Walmart. Just listen to your body. If you are feeling tired, pee is super dark, and lacking energy just up your fluids a bit. I run so I drink A LOT of water...but 99% of the time it is flavored with something.
  • JeniferEverx3
    JeniferEverx3 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean. There are too many "experts" "doctors" people who are dieting and are skinny, magazines, tv shows, etc. etc. trying to tell us all what to do and none of them have the same methods. I think it's all BS. When I was a kid, obesity was not an epidemic. I ate cereal and milk, pb&j sammiches, bananas, apple slices with peanut butter, oranges, carrots and/or celery with peanut butter or ranch dressing, chicken and rice and beans and corn for dinner, or pasta with marinara sauce or alfredo sauce, seafood. Every one is different, likes different foods, and processes food differently. I avoid salt, sugar and butter as much as I can but I don't cut it out completeley. I eat fruits, vegetables, fish or lean meats and eat the meats with minimal seasoning, no butter or salt on my veggies, etc. I stick to my calorie goal and if I choose to or have to eat something that is not considered healthy like junk food, fast food, etc. I eat small portions of it. Generally I try to eat as healthy as I can for breakfast and lunch and keep my calories to a minimum, so when I go home to have dinner & dessert with my boyfriend (who is not on a diet and is a meat & potatoes kinda guy) I don't have to stress too much over what I'm eating. Also, you could go to a nutritionist who would help you design a meal plan that fits you as an individual.
  • paulylovesme
    Options
    Thank you all :)
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    1) your friend is on crack. Apples and cottage cheese are healthy and taste amazing.

2) Aim for good balance. Remember that old food pyramid thing? It's a good guideline. It you want fruit instead of ice cream, have fruit. The sugar won't kill you. Your body needs sugar. If you want ice cream, then have a serving of it. It has fat, sugar, calcium, all of which your body needs, and it takes like awesome! Eat well most of the time, don't disallow yourself the occasional treat and when people tell you things that sound hokey, research them. They probably are.
  • paulylovesme
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean. There are too many "experts" "doctors" people who are dieting and are skinny, magazines, tv shows, etc. etc. trying to tell us all what to do and none of them have the same methods. I think it's all BS. When I was a kid, obesity was not an epidemic. I ate cereal and milk, pb&j sammiches, bananas, apple slices with peanut butter, oranges, carrots and/or celery with peanut butter or ranch dressing, chicken and rice and beans and corn for dinner, or pasta with marinara sauce or alfredo sauce, seafood. Every one is different, likes different foods, and processes food differently. I avoid salt, sugar and butter as much as I can but I don't cut it out completeley. I eat fruits, vegetables, fish or lean meats and eat the meats with minimal seasoning, no butter or salt on my veggies, etc. I stick to my calorie goal and if I choose to or have to eat something that is not considered healthy like junk food, fast food, etc. I eat small portions of it. Generally I try to eat as healthy as I can for breakfast and lunch and keep my calories to a minimum, so when I go home to have dinner & dessert with my boyfriend (who is not on a diet and is a meat & potatoes kinda guy) I don't have to stress too much over what I'm eating. Also, you could go to a nutritionist who would help you design a meal plan that fits you as an individual.

Thanks! It is so overwhelming when even the Dr's have differing opinions. I might try the nutritionist thing. :)
  • Andreaviolet89
    Andreaviolet89 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    My friend is a dietician and I had the same conversation with her. Her response was to eat following basically the traditional food pyramid unless you have a health condition that requires you to eat differently. She said any diet that cuts out whole food groups entirely is setting you up for failure. She says that there has to be roon in your diet to have the things you love such as a cheeseburger once a week or some chocolate. I would eat what you want but stay with in your calories and keep working out. It is already working for you. Just because one person doesnt like cottage cheese or dairy doesnt mean we all should deprive oursleves of it.
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    You can eat what you want, just keep it at a deficit, and shoot for 80% healthy, meaning more fruits and veggies, and lean meats. :)))
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    portion control, scale and measuring cup will be your best friend. The only thing I would avoid is caloric drinks (besides alcohol, LOL)

Oh and follow the recommended serving sizes so cooked pasta is 1/3 cup, 1 small apple, 3 oz meat, 1 cup yogurt, ect.