Dinner Ideas - ACG *LOL*

Options
odusgolp
odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
I have surprise dinner guests coming tonight and need to prepare a meal in under 1 hour (prep and cook time).

I have on hand:

Veggies:
purple & orange carrots
parsnips
fingerling potatoes
yukon gold potatoes
every color pepper imaginable
broccoli
garlic/onion/other basics
lettuce
orange and yellow grape tomatoes

Meat:
chicken
pork chops
pork tenderloin

Dairy:
heavy cream
gorgonzola
asiago

and otherwise i have all the basics and a very well stocked pantry. I have no time to go to the grocery store, and little fruit on hand (I think just apples & lemons).

I would like to do something other than a stir fry, a simple baked chicken & veggies....

Stuffed Pork?? Apples, bread crumbs, cranberries???? Can I pull that off fast enough?

Any semi-creative ideas? (And no, my love, I am not carbonating any fruit :)

Replies

• Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    INterested
  • odusgolp
    Options
    put it all in a cauldron in your backyard over an open fire...

you do have eye of newt in your pantry, right?

Yes. It's right next to the Saffron.
  • IPAkiller
    IPAkiller Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    d2c238a8dad7720f2d7c3d43db929ef1

NewGlarusBrewery.jpg

Jdlogo01.jpg

See you in an hour *****cakes!!!
  • seilidhe
    seilidhe Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    put it all in a cauldron in your backyard over an open fire...

you do have eye of newt in your pantry, right?

Yes. It's right next to the Saffron.

Hahaha! Love it!
  • CompressedCarbon
    CompressedCarbon Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Do you have alcohol? You don't need to carbonate fruit, you can inject them with a creative combo of whatever you have. I hear they are a crowd pleaser.

The stuffed pork sounds delicious.
  • jess7386
    jess7386 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Try this: we made it at my house the other night. Roast the fingerlings for 40 mins with some rosemary, salt, & pepper & its a fantastic meal :)

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/pork-chops-roasted-apples-50400000122914/

Ingredients

2 1/2 teaspoons canola oil, divided
    1 cup onions,
    2 cups Gala apple wedges
    1 tablespoon butter, divided
    2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
    1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
    4 (6-ounce) bone-in center-cut pork loin chops (about 1/2 inch thick) $
    1/2 cup fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
    1/2 teaspoon all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon cider vinegar

Preparation

1. Preheat oven to 400°.
    2. Heat a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 teaspoon oil to pan; swirl to coat. Pat onions dry with a paper towel. Add onions to pan; cook 2 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring once. Add apple to pan; place in oven. Bake at 400° for 10 minutes or until onions and apple are tender. Stir in 2 teaspoons butter, thyme, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
    3. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle pork with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add pork to pan; cook 3 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness. Remove pork from pan; keep warm. Combine broth and flour in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add broth mixture to pan; bring to a boil, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Cook 1 minute or until reduced to 1/4 cup. Stir in vinegar and remaining 1 teaspoon butter. Serve sauce with pork and apple mixture.
  • love2lift_85
    love2lift_85 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    If you have a few chicken breasts, I'd just do some baked chicken with some olive oil and seasonings... drizzle the chicken with oil, pepper with seasonings like thyme, rosemary and oregano (my faves), bake at 350 for 30 mins.

Do you have rice? Boil some water, put the rice in a glass baking dish, pour the boiling water over the dry rice, mix well, cover with foil, and just stick it in the oven with the chicken at 350 for 30.

About 10 mins before it's all done baking, put some cut up veggies in with the rice. Mix it up, re-cover, put it back in to finish.
  • odusgolp
    Options
    NewGlarusBrewery.jpg

Jdlogo01.jpg

See you in an hour *****cakes!!!

pfffftttt.... we've got that right next to this...

Item-4f1749d10a082-silenisauvblanc1111lr.jpg

5:45. My house. Bring the baby :flowerforyou:
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    The only ingredient I don't see that you would need to make something delicious and easy is 1 cell phone.
  • odusgolp
    Options
    NewGlarusBrewery.jpg

I HATE YOU!!!!! *kicks rock that I don't have a mainline of Spotted Cow*

Wait wait wait... you don't have Cow there?? What about Fat Squirrel at least?
  • odusgolp
    Options
    Try this: we made it at my house the other night. Roast the fingerlings for 40 mins with some rosemary, salt, & pepper & its a fantastic meal :)

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/pork-chops-roasted-apples-50400000122914/

Ingredients

2 1/2 teaspoons canola oil, divided
    1 cup onions,
    2 cups Gala apple wedges
    1 tablespoon butter, divided
    2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
    1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
    4 (6-ounce) bone-in center-cut pork loin chops (about 1/2 inch thick) $
    1/2 cup fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
    1/2 teaspoon all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon cider vinegar

Preparation

1. Preheat oven to 400°.
    2. Heat a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 teaspoon oil to pan; swirl to coat. Pat onions dry with a paper towel. Add onions to pan; cook 2 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring once. Add apple to pan; place in oven. Bake at 400° for 10 minutes or until onions and apple are tender. Stir in 2 teaspoons butter, thyme, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
    3. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle pork with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add pork to pan; cook 3 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness. Remove pork from pan; keep warm. Combine broth and flour in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add broth mixture to pan; bring to a boil, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Cook 1 minute or until reduced to 1/4 cup. Stir in vinegar and remaining 1 teaspoon butter. Serve sauce with pork and apple mixture.

Lovely! Thanks!
  • carrieo888
    carrieo888 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    My friends are always impressed by what I think is a super easy roasted root vegetable side (parsnips, carrots, potatoes). Wash 'em, cut 'em however you like, put in ziplock baggy; drizzle with ollive oil and sprinkle with favorite seasonings (I like an herb blend, garlic pepper, sea salt and rosemary); close the baggy and smoosh around so veggies are coated; dump all into a roasting pan and bake at 400 for 45-60 min (til veggies are as crispy - or not - as you like).

Make a salad w the lettuce, peppers, onion, brocolli (more carrots?), and a shred of asiago.

Chicken can be simple, I like to roast with some butter and lemon pepper. 350 for 30 min (or if you put in same oven as veggies, start the veggies at 400 then cut back to 375 in the last 25 min; cook chicken for that remaining time).
  • BECav0602
    BECav0602 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    You could always roast the pork tenderloin with carrots and potatoes. Serve as is or with a salad. This marinade is delicious and I have made it without marinating for hours. http://foodie2sisters.blogspot.com/2012/05/delicious-pork-tenderloins.html
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Answer the door naked Odus he won't care about dinner!

or chicken/veg soup.
    Good luck:flowerforyou:
  • IPAkiller
    Options
    I HATE YOU!!!!! *kicks rock that I don't have a mainline of Spotted Cow*

Wait wait wait... you don't have Cow there?? What about Fat Squirrel at least?

http://www.newglarusbrewing.com/index.cfm/beers/Distribution

miKMsGRaFG8eMoQq6o4E8hA.jpg

It's true and it's awesome!
  • odusgolp
    Options

or chicken/veg soup.

Hoffman doesn't like me naked....
  • IPAkiller
    Options

or chicken/veg soup.

Hoffman doesn't like me naked....

Stop calling me that! It creeps me out.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    I wish I was at home. I have a really good recipe for pork chops in cider mustard sauce, with mashed carrots and broccoli. My first thought was roasting those veggies, though. Now I want roasted veggies.