Atkins

Options

Replies

• TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I do 100 or less carbs a day and 100 or more protein a day within 1356 calories a day.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    a general reason why people lose significant weight from low carb diets initally is due to glycogen depletion.
    1g of glycogen(carb) holds about 3g of water. it is safe to say that most of the weight that you get from carb based products may have additional sodium to create water weight. however when you do start the diet, your sodium will drop, along with fiber(some times). less residual products will be in your GI tract,

the average person holds about 500g of glyocgen max. so lets say thats 2000g of weight. 2kg=4.4 lbs.
    along with residual, other water weight factors etc. This makes plenty of sense. when you do start eating back your normal meals you will "gain the weight back" but fat loss during the process will be gone.

by going on atkins diet you are forcing yourself to stop drinking regular soda, alot of sugar. etc.
    Any fat loss during a diet is only gained back if you consume more energy than required for normal needs.

When you do something like atkins it is not sustainable for a lifetime and the effects of low carbs/ketosis are unknown for long term. It is not the best diet to go on.

another factor is how much does your brother in law weigh?
    Weight loss should be a % of someones original weight. I can drop 5 lbs 2x faster than someone half my size and that is female can

This guy's been on a ketogenic diet since 2001

http://imgur.com/a/vNj3y

that doesnt show the permanent effects it could have on his body in the long run. physical appearance =/= health.

I am not saying its healthy or unhealthy. we dont know

Almost 13 yrs seems "long term" to me but you're right it's relative. BTW, he's healthy -- http://dd.reddit.com/r/ketogains/comments/1l0dzj/help_with_bloodwork_results/cbui6py
    he has mild thrombocytopenia and he has a bad ldl to hdl ratio? that ldl is extremely high, I know cholesterol isnt as big of a factor but I know the ratio does matter

I have better blood work than that and I dont do keto. Normal blood work is fairly common for those who exercise and this lab result do not mean anything
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    You're going to gain it back.

From what I have seen from people that have tried it .. this is exactly what happens. Just seems like a lot of work for a lot of heartache in the end.

One could say the same about pretty much every plan.

What people seem to lose and gain back so rapidly when starting/stopping Atkins is the water weight. As far as any real energy balance weight, how well Atkins or any other diet works will be determined by the calorie deficit.

For your short term competition, you could use the loss of water to your advantage. But don't let yourself be deceived into thinking that all the weight that came off is from fat.
  • thegilly6
    thegilly6 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    "As far as any real energy balance weight, how well Atkins or any other diet works will be determined by the calorie deficit."

I'm not so sure a deficit is needed on the Atkin's diet. In think it's more about ketosis.
  • Rob_Zamites
    Rob_Zamites Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    That's the spirit - way to inculcate failure into someone's mind.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    I've done Atkins in the past and was pretty successful. I gained a lot back when I got pregnant. No low calorie or low carb diet I think would have stopped that. I wouldn't do Atkins if you want to keep the weight off and love carbs. It is a lifestyle so yes, if you go back to eating like you did before losing weight, you will gain it back...just like if you do a low calorie diet and go back to eating like you were before losing weight.

I really wish people would read about low carb/Atkins before making the comment "once you go back to eating carbs you'll gain it all back". Do you realize the 4th phase is maintenance/lifetime? It's a lifestyle. Educate yourself before making general assumptions. People fail at low carb diets, just like low cal diets when they begin eating like they"used to".

Atkins doesn't work for everybody, but its a long term commitment for the weight loss to be long term.

To add: I lost 90lbs when I did Atkins. Hardly could call that water weight. I lifted and did cardio 4 days a week. God I wish I had that motivation and discipline again.
  • DatMurse
    Options
    "As far as any real energy balance weight, how well Atkins or any other diet works will be determined by the calorie deficit."

I'm not so sure a deficit is needed on the Atkin's diet. In think it's more about ketosis.

are you being sarcastic or serious? I cant tell
  • DatMurse
    Options

Atkins doesn't work for everybody, but its a long term commitment for the weight loss to be long term.
    a diet is not a commitment it's a lifestyle change
  • thegilly6
    Options

Perhaps both. Going back to the origins of the Atkin's experiment. When the Inuit men ate only caribou meat for weeks they did loose fat but also gained muscle. I don't recall if they "lost weight" per sei. Granted, they were working (exercising) at the time. I know when I lost 50 lbs on the diet I paid absolutely no attention to my calories at all and had great success. There may have been a deficit by default but it wasn't due to any effort of mine. I certainly wasn't down to a 1200 calorie (pre-exercise) a day intake like I am now.
  • DatMurse
    Options

Perhaps both. Going back to the origins of the Atkin's experiment. When the Inuit men ate only caribou meat for weeks they did loose fat but also gained muscle. I don't recall if they "lost weight" per sei. Granted, they were working (exercising) at the time. I know when I lost 50 lbs on the diet I paid absolutely no attention to my calories at all and had great success. There may have been a deficit by default but it wasn't due to any effort of mine. I certainly wasn't down to a 1200 calorie (pre-exercise) a day intake like I am now.

I would highly doubt that study. Why? reason is to say someone lost fat they would have to use a proper body scanning mechanism which alot of the diets back then utilized electrode fat scanners which were ineffective.

That "study" was based in the 1920s

Energy oxidation of fat and carbs are at a constant. The rate is dependent upon the availability of the other.
    I guess you have never heard of bodybuilders bulking on a ketogenic diet
  • thegilly6
    Options

Okay. That makes sense.
  • CardiacKev28
    CardiacKev28 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Atkins is great as long as you stay on it. Once you stop the weight is coming back. There are better ways out there!
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    You're going to gain it back.

From what I have seen from people that have tried it .. this is exactly what happens. Just seems like a lot of work for a lot of heartache in the end.

You gain back weight when you stop adhering to any diet. No diet is exempt from this.
  • thmgoodw
    Options

A bodybuilder bulking on a ketogenic diet would be an extremely rare occurrence. Now, a CKD (cyclical ketogenic diet) is another story. I had a copy of Dan Duchaine's BodyOpus back in the day, and that is exactly what that is. Sites like T-nation also often recommend a CKD. Of course, for a typical CKD where you might carb load for 1.5-2 days a week, you would be in ketosis for only 1-2 days every week.
  • DatMurse
    Options

A bodybuilder bulking on a ketogenic diet would be an extremely rare occurrence. Now, a CKD (cyclical ketogenic diet) is another story. I had a copy of Dan Duchaine's BodyOpus back in the day, and that is exactly what that is. Sites like T-nation also often recommend a CKD. Of course, for a typical CKD where you might carb load for 1.5-2 days a week, you would be in ketosis for only 1-2 days every week.

that is beyond the point. the point was you can gain weight on a ketogenic diet.
  • lindustum
    lindustum Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Am I right in hearing you (f) and two men are competing? I hope you measure your loss relative to your bodyweight or the change in difference to the suggested weight- I mean the person who's 50lbs overweight will lose more than someone who's 5lbs overweight, given the same deficit and time period.

Having to cook dinner because someone else is simply fatter and wins easier would surely bother me- but that said I am competitive :p
  • DatMurse
    Options
    Am I right in hearing you (f) and two men are competing? I hope you measure your loss relative to your bodyweight or the change in difference to the suggested weight- I mean the person who's 50lbs overweight will lose more than someone who's 5lbs overweight, given the same deficit and time period.

Having to cook dinner because someone else is simply fatter and wins easier would surely bother me- but that said I am competitive :p

same deficit by percentage or by number?

a man who is 235 lbs can have a daily calorie expenditure of 3000 calories. a woman who is 115 can have one of 1500.
    that man if he goes on a 20% deficit will lose lbs faster than the woman at a 20% deficit.

he can lost a little over a 1 lb a week while still consuming 2400 calories. the woman at a 20% deficit will lose a lb about every 2 weeks.

If they go as high lets say 1750 deficit (which I have done). Can lose a lb every 2 days. the woman even at a near 50% deficit will be about 1.5 lb a week.

Now if you take look at the numbers. a 200 lb man losing 20 lbs does not hold as much of an visual impact as a 120 lb woman losing 20 lbs

one lost 10% of his original weight the other one lost 17%.

On top of other factors women's weight loss is not as linear as men due to estrogen affecting sodium retention. A competition based off of lbs lost is not fair between a male and a female
  • WyrimoB
    WyrimoB Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been on Induction for two weeks. I have done the Atkins 5years ago when I lost 4 stone in a year and stopped, I never regained the same weight I was. I found it helps with curbing the craving for sweet things (my downfall is biscuits) and once I start Atkins the urge just goes away. I am now doing a modified Atkins version with protein and vegetables and I find the weight is coming off though at a slower pace and this is sustainable in the long run.
  • Sharkstamsaw
    Options
    As far as I know, none of the people in my family that have lost weight on Atkins/low-carb paid any attention to calories either...

If you understand the explanation behind it, it does make sense, though I doubt most people would realistically need to eat Atkins/low-carb to loose weight.

As for whether it is or isn't a healthy diet - uhm...how healthy is a low-calorie diet if you only eat s****? It comes down to what you eat, no surprises there. And it's not that hard to get enough fiber and still stay below recommended carb-intake.

I could never eat that way, I'm too much of a carbojunkie.
  • redladywitch
    redladywitch Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I was on Atkins and lost weight. When I stopped, I gained it all back plus another 35 pounds.

It was hard on my kidneys. I had some blood work done that told me this.