How to get over being over it?

Options
I've been on this journey since January, lost almost 50lbs, 10-15 to go. And I'm burned out.

I want to continue to progress, especially now that I'm paying a trainer to help, but being hungry, all the food planning, feeling restricted and constantly thinking about what I can eat and when- over it. Doing okay with exercise, maybe too good as I can't remember my last real rest day, but I'm getting increasingly depressed with not being able to "really eat." World is my... chicken breast over a salad, no cheese. Blah. No real loss in a couple months, which bums me out too, but doesn't motivate me to buckle down.

Anybody else? How do you build a bridge over it to recommit, and finally hit those goals? Giving up is not an option and don't intend to, but I'm so tired of this course.

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I was never that restrictive in my diet...I've always eaten delicious food and eat pretty much the same now in maintenance as I did while losing, just more calories. What is your deficit like...with only 10 - 15 Lbs to go, your calorie goal should only represent a very small deficit from maintenance...i.e. you probably should be eating more. If you're at a healthy BF%, that last little bit takes a long time and a lot of work...people work for years on their spare tires (still working on mine).
  • TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    It really is trying to embrace a new lifestyle. I really enjoyed eatting..the tastes along with the social aspects of getting together with friends and family to break bread. But...I've come to the understanding that food for me is an addiction. Not unlike booze is for some people. So I have to try and fill in the gaps where I fill empty. For instance, my wife likes to meet for dinner and drinks with friends on Fridays and sometime Saturday nights. Instead of joining her, I meet up with my guy friends for a game of squash. I let her still do her thing and I still get to socialize with my friends. Another example, when I get home from work, instead of hitting the frige looking for a snack. I take the dog out for a walk. Fill up you time with health options instead of sitting there getting hungry. Also, drink lots of water, tricks your body into thinking it's full. It's a hard journey that will never end til you push daisies...but you and your love ones will greatly benefit from it. Keep going!
  • bubaluboo
    bubaluboo Posts: 2,098 Member
    Options
    Your diary is either incomplete or you're not eating your calories. I was eating around 1200 calories a day (1.5lb a week weightloss goal) and after going really well, ground to a halt an pretty much didn't lose for the whole of sept. I felt hungry, tired and demotivated. I had 10lb left to lose by then. I took advice and upped my calories to a more sensible 1600 and slower weightloss of 0.5 lb a week. It's working...ok slower than I'd hoped but better than starving and not losing. My only explanation is that I have more energy and am effortlessly more active when I'm eating enough! Is your goal loss rate maybe a little to severe now you have much less to lose?
  • duckiec
    duckiec Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Sorry- should have mentioned- my diary is definitely spotty the past few weeks! We've (my trainer and I) have been trying different stuff to try to work through this mental and physical level, including not tracking for two weeks, lo/hi days, etc.

All exercise values are correct in the diary. I usually edit out my Fitbit addiitons.

Food- currently doing about 1400/day weekdays, and higher weekends- guestimate 2000-2400, which is pretty much around weekend, more active TDEE (according to FitBit).

When I track, it is with a scale/cups etc- no eyeballing. When I don't, I'm aware of what I'm eating and it's not a free-for-all and while it may go a bit above/below TDEE, those are in no way blow-out days.

Thanks for your support so far and any ideas for slogging through and actually being okay with the balance of the goals with actually living a fulfilling life. I am more than my calorie level, but most days it doesn't seem like it because that's the constant focus. Well that, and what I can't have. :/
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Your calorie target should be increasing as you get closer to goal weight. I recommend that you calculate TDEE - 10% if you are not already eating at that level. You cannot sustain the same amount of loss that you did when you had more weight to lose.

Also, as others have mentioned, you don't have to restrict what you are eating, unless you have some medical reason for cutting certain kinds of foods. As long as you keep to your target goal.
  • rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Your calorie target should be increasing as you get closer to goal weight. I recommend that you calculate TDEE - 10% if you are not already eating at that level. You cannot sustain the same amount of loss that you did when you had more weight to lose.

Also, as others have mentioned, you don't have to restrict what you are eating, unless you have some medical reason for cutting certain kinds of foods. As long as you keep to your target goal.

I agree with this. If your TDEE is 2400, 1400 is an enormous deficit. Its going to make you super crabby and annoyed. It's no wonder you're burnt out!
  • bubaluboo
    bubaluboo Posts: 2,098 Member
    Options
    I don't think I could cope with the difference on weekdays and weekends. I always find that if I have more calories one day I want that higher amount the next day. I know that it works for other people with intermittent fasting but if you're having a difficult time particularly on the first couple of days after the weekend, it may be that you just aren't cut out for swapping around and would be better spreading your calories across the week.
  • duckiec
    Options
    Ha, I wish my TDEE was 2400 EVERY day- that's just on weekends when I can get in a long run, and I'm chasing kids around, doing errands, etc. not sitting at a desk all day. Weekdays are around 2000.

Thanks everyone for your support and ideas for switching some stuff around. And if it's still not working, I can always switch it again! I've told others now I have to remind myself- I've come a long way and I am not doing things anywhere near the way I was before. There will always be room for improvement/change/growth. There's no deadline to meet my goals, and as soon as I do, I'll define others, because I know I will never be "done." That's kind of depressing, but good, too- have something to shoot for. Keep on keeping on (even if some days are harder than others).
  • Elpaw4mbv
    Elpaw4mbv Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about hiring a personal chef for some cooking classes? You might find that you can spice up your diet without trashing your calories. Shop around and find one that caters to the weight loss or food allergy clientele and ask about cooking classes to help you get over the hump by exposing you to new food combinations or spices.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I have been on this journey 3 years. What I have found is that you must make it sustainable. If it is not something you can do for the rest of your life the weight can creep back up on you. I thought I knew what I was doing and stopped. I regretted it. It is now part of my lifestyle.
  • calliekitten9
    calliekitten9 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I have to agree....limiting yourself with what you can eat is not sustainable. I honestly do not "restrict" myself from anything. I just try to be more concious about what I eat and the choices I have..if I have a slip up, I can handle it....because the point for me isn't so much about the end weight goal as the awareness and accountability and lifestyle change.
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Those last pounds are the hardest. Like others have suggested, I recommend using a smaller defiict during the week. The weight loss will probably slow down, but you should be less hungry and it should be easier to maintain.

As far as giving up tracking, I hate to say but you may never be able to do that. I've maintained a pretty consistent weight (within 10 or so lbs of my current weight) my entire adult life and I've always mentally tracked even when I didn't write the calories down. Whenever I haven't, my weight tends to get a little higher than I prefer. One things that works for me as I maintain is to track during the week when it's easiest and then skip it over the weekend. I also keep a deficit during the week but probably go over on the weekends (usually with alcohol :blushing: )
  • deksgrl
    Options
    Ha, I wish my TDEE was 2400 EVERY day- that's just on weekends when I can get in a long run, and I'm chasing kids around, doing errands, etc. not sitting at a desk all day. Weekdays are around 2000.

Okay, so your average TDEE accounting for it being higher on weekend and lower on weekdays is 2114.

A 10% cut would be 211 calories per day. If you ate at 1800 calories every day, you would lose weight. It will be slow, but it will be sustainable. There isn't any reason to be going hungry or deprived, you just need to be a little choosy about portion sizes to keep within the 1800 calorie goal.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Why can't you really eat???
  • mrp56839
    mrp56839 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    It sounds like everyone's got the eat more/TDEE stuff covered.

I've been in exactly the same place (with almost the same stats!). I've been at this (this time) since right after Xmas last year and I've lost about 50lbs - with 15 more to go to my first goal. In April, I started running 3-4x/week. My weight loss stalled. I tried eating more. I tried eating less. In 4 months, I lost 20lbs. The last 2 months, I've struggled to lose 2lbs a month. One week, I gave up and gained 4lbs, wiping out 2 months of work! UGH! I was SO OVER THIS!

I quit. Yep. Forget it. I'm done logging. What's the point?? I would still run, but only because I actually enjoy it. But now my runs sucked because I was feeding myself crap. I had some bloodwork done at work a few weeks ago and the results just came in the mail. All of the tests that were outside of normal range 6 months ago (after already losing 25lbs) are now back in range. My blood pressure is *almost* there. My BMI is *almost* there. I started looking in the mirror. I basically weigh the same as I did in July, but my pants are a size smaller. My wedding rings are being sized down for the 2nd time this year. Man, I have a serious case of flat *kitten* now, but my quads and calves are definitely more defined. I could always go back to beign a fatty...and if I quit trying, that's exactly what's going to happen. Again. It was the motivation that I needed to get back on track.

I'm going to feed myself better foods. Not going all paleo/organic/all natural-like, but just better. And if I can swing some of those things into my meals, I will. Breakfast is easy for me. A crockpot of steel cut oats (hey, I have almond milk in the fridge and that fresh pumpkin puree and some frozen fruit from my garden in the freezer already.) Portioned out for the week, it keeps well in the fridge. Every morning, I grab a handful of frozen fruit and throw it on top before packing it in my lunchbag. Egg sandwiches on english muffins are also easy breezy and freeze well. I often make 6-12 at a time and freeze them for a quick grab and go breakfast. You could do breakfast burritos, homemade pancakes or waffles, etc. Something different from what you already eat.

I'm TIRED of eating a 300 calorie lunch out of a black tray. Fall is great soup weather. Most soups freeze well. I made chicken tortilla soup and a pan of chicken fried rice, portioned them out and into the freezer they go. This weekend, I'll make a big pot of chili (with local meat and I'm going to try dried beans this time) and something else that's new. Today I brought leftovers from last night's dinner (bbq pork sandwich!) My homemade lunches are a little higher in calories than a box meal and I do need to spend some time actually making them, but I feel so much more satisfied even though I'm eating less food. Is it the better ingredients or the higher calories that cause satisfaction? I don't know, but I don't feel stuck in that food rut of chicken salads and lean cuisines.

I'm a coffe-a-holic. I have a real problem (and so do the people around me) if I don't get a jolt of caffiene around 1:30. Starbucks has a low-cal bottled iced coffee on sale at Target that actually tastes pretty good for only 50 cals. I'm sure it's low cal because of an artifical sweetener, but I'm not going for perfect here. I still need my fix! I snagged a few bottles for my desk drawer. I also grabbed a box of luna protein bars for a post work out/3pm snack. I'm burned out on almonds and yogurt. I'm going for different.

Dinners are tough in our house. I have 2 picky children and an even pickier husband. We generally eat a rotation of the same type of foods. Tacos, burgers, chicken breasts, lasagna, meatloaf, blah blah blah. I race home from work and we eat whatever we have and I can throw together 20 mins later. I'm going to start doing theme dinner nights. Mexican Mondays. Pizza Fridays. Take out Thursdays (it's our kids' busy sports night). Sundays we're generally home most of th eday and it'll be the "family dinner night." A baked turkey (which will be awesome for leftover lunches!) or some other wholesome meal with actual side dishes. You get it. I think this will help me plan out our meals better and there will be a whole lot less stressing over food in our house.

I know this got long (and thanks for hanging in there, if you've gotten this far). I've resigned myself to the fact that I am not ever goign to be able to eat quite as freely as someone who's never had to watch their weight. That being said, I can't eat box meals and salads forever. We are going to have to learn how to eat real food in moderation if this is going to stick. I don't want to stress over meals and food and calories. All of this contributes to the burn out. We're getting to the good part. We are ALMOST there. You can choose to sabotage yourself again with burn out or find a way around it. You know what happens if you don't. We've been there before too.

For the record, I saw my lowest scale number yet this morning. I haven't been hungry once since getting back on track. I haven't craved sugar or salt. My run today felt fantastic. I'm officially BACK with 13lbs to go!
  • duckiec
    Options
    Oh I can EAT anything. But I pay for it in trying to figure out how to make my macros work out the rest of the day, so its usually hardly worth it!

Here's an example of the frustration: I got a scone yesterday for breakfast. Plus a latte (sugar free). Latte is fine, decent protein for the 120 cals. But the scone- 550 and little protein. So now I've consumed just about 1/2 my calories in breakfast alone, and while it was delicious and I don't do it very often, I'm hungry the rest of the day and playing catch up on protein.

A muffin instead of a protein shake, an actual sandwhich instead of protein-on-salad, a snack in the afternoon just because I'm hungry... if I choose any of these options, there is a direct and big impact on the rest of the day. I feel very stuck in what my choices have to be to meet these goals, rather than I have actual choices. And while I plan to mess with the calories a bit, 200 extra a day won't change that too much... it's still the mental restriction, if that makes sense? That's where I'm toast (but I can't have toast, doesn't fit in my macros! ;)).
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    there is no "over it"

it's life. This is how I live.

It's easier for me to plan my food... and organize it than to float haphazardly through life.

it is what it is.
  • deksgrl
    Options
    1 - You don't appear to be eating your exercise calories. You are set to 1300 calories and only appear to be eating a small amount of your exercise calories.

2 - Your TDEE - 20% is over 1800 calories. You could eat more and still lose weight, and you shouldn't be hungry.

3 - You need to plan better, then you won't be stuck eating light and being hungry most of the day.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Make sure you eat at TDEE-20%, it makes it less painful.

But otherwise, I totally agree with you. Unfortunately I realize too that there's just no other option... it's that or being obese again.
  • healthismygame2
    Options
    Hi, it sounds like you're going through a rough time. I am sorry to hear that.

I personally began my journey with the Weight Watchers points system in 2011 and LOVE that plan. I only began counting calories earlier this year. I found with Weight Watchers that I can eat anything I want, but in moderation. Now I do both a *free* points app and MyFitnessPal.

Long story short, I found that when I'm not hungry I am not feeling deprived. With that in mind, I eat alot of fresh fruit and raw veggies - both of which really fill me up. The good thing with Weight Watchers is that I can eat all the fruit and veggies I want and they are zero (0) points.

I also found that rice krispy treats curb my sweet tooth (although I do enjoy chocolate when the craving is really there). Also, I like the peperidge farm thin pretzels and Pop Chips. I find that snacks like this are low in calories and points.

My suggestion is that you give it time. Remember weight fluctuates - so this is always a work in progress. Also, remember Rome was not built in a day. You must not give up. You CAN do this. Hang in there :smile: