How long will losing 30lbs take?

Options

Replies

• katorihanzo
    katorihanzo Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    It depends a lot on how much you weigh, and, obviously, how hard you work.

It took me 4 months to lose the first 13lbs. But I've lost that much again in the last two months, because I've learned to do it properly - weighing my food, being accurate and honest. And I've learned how much easier it is to eat well and feel great rather than eat crap and feel bad later.

30lbs before Christmas? Only if you weigh in the 300s. And then, only maybe. Try for 10. I have another 8 before Christmas I'd love to lose and that means 1lb a week which is my average, and I am very, very happy losing a pound every week. I hope you can be too!
  • pugsleyjean
    pugsleyjean Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    It took me 6 months to loose 30lbs. Im only 5'2 and really just changed my eating habits, cut out drinking every Thursday and Saturday night. Not saying I don't have a crazy night/day every now and then but Im loving the new me and am not going back to my old ways. Best of luck to you in your journey!
  • beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Good luck with that. There's no real quick fix, but hard work and determination. Christmas is like 2 months away, and thats 15 pounds a month. If you figure out a way to do it safely and keep it off, lemme know.
  • RonW956
    RonW956 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry but if you're only interested to know how long you have to keep dieting and exercising until you reach your goal, you probably will gain it back.

This isn't a quick fix- it's not a magical thing that once you stop you're done forever. It's a lifestyle change. You need to stick with these healthy habits for life. I don't want to be rude or discouraging, just want you to know. Good luck with it!

+1
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry but if you're only interested to know how long you have to keep dieting and exercising until you reach your goal, you probably will gain it back.

This isn't a quick fix- it's not a magical thing that once you stop you're done forever. It's a lifestyle change. You need to stick with these healthy habits for life. I don't want to be rude or discouraging, just want you to know. Good luck with it!

+1

+2
  • cathyg321
    cathyg321 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    :huh:
  • cathyg321
    cathyg321 Posts: 155 Member
    Options

+1

+2

+3
    [/quote]
  • rb16fitness
    rb16fitness Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    If you're prepared to camp out in a sauna for the next 10 weeks you can prob lose 30 lbs of fluids but alas not fat :p
    Joking aside - preserve your muscle and stick to losing at 1lb a week. Good luck :)
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Maybe 4 months if you do 2lbs/week
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    When you try to lose weight too quickly you lose fat+muscle. If you want to lower your body fat % ...then stick with moderate weight loss.

This will give you a time frame

http://www.fitwatch.com/qkcalc/weight-loss-calculator.php
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    So, when you get to some arbitrary "finish line" at your goal weight you're just going to stop getting your nutrition and fitness on? Sounds legit...good luck with that.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I want to lose 30lbs by christmas. I've done it before without excersize but I was 20 years old then. Sadly gained it back when I was drinking alcohol all the time with friends. I was 160lbs plus or who knows how much I was. Then I saw myself in pictures and decided to go at it again. So the answer to the one saying it's for a better lifestyle, yes. Everybody on here wants to lose weight, it's just an estimation of what will come. Learning won't hurt. Some people lose 5lbs every week. So I'm trying to research on what will be if I keep trying. Maintaining weight is fine, as long as you don't overeat. Losing weight at a higher age, is the problem. My eyes are finally awakened from the reality of it, and it sucks. lol

Wow, I'd love to meet those people. That is, if they're doing it in a healthy manner.
  • determined_erin
    determined_erin Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I lose around 10 lbs per month. So, I would say it would take 3 months to lose 30 lbs.
  • bamaboy1965
    bamaboy1965 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I started in mid June. Good luck!
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    It depends, realistically 30 weeks should be really doable (1 lb a week) but in my experience, it takes me much longer than that! Others will lose it in 3 months though, there really is no one answer.

I've lost an average of 30/35 a year, seems slow but it's stayed off and I'm pretty sure I'll have no trouble maintaining! I've had some thyroid issues that might have been a factor in my weight loss being slower, but I'm not really complaining! 30 pounds is a lot, so no matter how long it takes you it's something to be proud of!
  • missomgitsica
    missomgitsica Posts: 496 Member
    Options

Yep. This.
  • eazy_
    eazy_ Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    at 1 lb/week.....around 30 weeks.
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 20 pounds in 3 months and that is with doing crossfit and following a Paleo lifestyle, yet again I started at 188 pounds. Heavier person may lose more, but I get the sense you are around 160, I saw you mentioned 160 somewhere, not sure if it was when you were in your 20's or now. I have 29 more pounds to go, would love to lose that by Christmas, but I am quite doubtful that will happen!!!!!

Two months till Christmas, I mean you would have to go really really hardcore to make that possible.

Good luck :)
  • dessyjo
    dessyjo Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    It took me about 2 months to lose 30 pounds. I started on 3-12-13 at 238lbs and on 5-12-13 I weighed in at 208.

I had lost 20 pounds the first month, 10 the second, and 8 on the third.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    Depends on your cut numbers. I expect 30lbs to take me the better part of a year at my intake levels and I don't want to cut much more than I already am.