Clothes Shopping

Options
At what point will you buy new clothes? I have lost a little under 30 pounds but refuse to buy clothes until I reach my first big goal. I told myself when I was gaining the weight that I wouldn't buy anything else in my size and I want to keep up with it. I dont care if at times I look a little crazy. :)

Replies

• JADEPH0EN1X
    JADEPH0EN1X Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I have lost 36 + lbs since June & 3-4 dress sizes so I've had to get some new clothes , but only a few as I still want to lose another 30 ish lbs - otherwise I'd be wearing bin bags !
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I had to buy pants at around 25-30 lbs lost. Honestly, I went to a lot of thrift stores and founds some really good stuff. There was no point in spending a fortune on clothes that would just be too big on me in a few more months.
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I bought a few items to get me through different weight loss stages - some from thrift stores, lots from the sales racks. There comes a point where it stops looking a bit silly/goofy and starts to look just plain sloppy when clothes don't fit well.
  • waltcote
    waltcote Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    i had to buy work pants. Only one size down otherwise I would be showing my tighty whitys. But I only bought at ARC. Spent $16 on 4 pairs. No thip enough to be a sagger. :bigsmile:
  • iechick
    iechick Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    At what point will you buy new clothes? I have lost a little under 30 pounds but refuse to buy clothes until I reach my first big goal. I told myself when I was gaining the weight that I wouldn't buy anything else in my size and I want to keep up with it. I dont care if at times I look a little crazy. :)

I bought new clothes all the time-my body shape changed a lot over the course of several months-from a size 14 jean to a size 2; size large shirts to xs/smalls. My feet also shrunk and I had to buy all new shoes. New bras, undies, dresses, skirts etc. I got the majority at goodwill and thrift shops and then hit sales for the things I couldn't find there. As I changed sizes I just donated the stuff back that didn't fit anymore.

Plus I hit every season while my weight was going down, so I had to buy weather appropriate clothing as it changed. Now my weight has stabilized in my maintenance window, but last year at this time I had just started losing weight. Right now I'm looking for a new coat because my fall jacket from last year was an extra large and I need a small now :)
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    I bought new ones at the thrift store.
  • Regan45
    Regan45 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    In between starting and reaching my goal I bought a couple of new things. When I met my goal, I went crazy!
  • 1two3four
    1two3four Posts: 413 Member
    Options

I bought clothes when...

My tops hung funny on my shoulders
    My crotch/seat of my bottoms was too low (this was past the falling-down-when-I-walked stage)
    My underwear hung out of the top of my pants OR fell down when I walked
    My boobs fell out of my bra when I bent over

The first thing I bought when I started losing weight? A belt, and I thought long an hard about the style. It has grommets from one end to the other, I technically can't out shrink it.

In the last two years I've received more clothes as gifts than I can ever remember. I try to buy mostly second hand, I've occasionally shopped clearance racks in retail stores and I did buy two pairs of jeans and blouse with a gift card that was full price but the blouse only lasted 3 months!

I'm sure most people think I'm nuts but clothes are expensive and I'm cheap!
  • MommaChocoLatte
    MommaChocoLatte Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I had smaller pants waiting in my closet but I had to buy new tops so I was able to stretch buying new clothes out a little longer but I bought a little here and there when things got too baggy and no longer looked flattering.. or literally fell off my body when I walked. Now, I need more pants cuz I only have one pair and those are getting baggy now too.
  • cenafan
    cenafan Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    All the time. I have gone from a 26W to 16 (almost 14 now). So nothing old fits anymore. But I don't feel good if I don't like my clothes...so I buy for each new size. I have bought a lot of new workout gear in the last while. That I buy Lululemon and pretty much everything else is from the thrifts (save a few desired pieces).
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I decided to have a big clothing throw out at 60lbs. Got rid of a ton of clothing. Then I ended up pregnant...doh!
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    I had to buy pants at around 25-30 lbs lost. Honestly, I went to a lot of thrift stores and founds some really good stuff. There was no point in spending a fortune on clothes that would just be too big on me in a few more months.

This. Goodwill all the way.
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    I think you should buy clothes every time you drop two dress sizes, at the very least. At least a couple of things. Nothing too expensive, there are lots of discount clothing stores out there. It's a good idea to go clothes shopping and try on lots of things, even if you know you're not going to purchase them—you'll want to learn how to dress your goal body, and it's a good idea to do that in stages. Don't wear tents until the big reveal, enjoy the intermediate successes and the compliments that come with them. :drinker:
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    ive started buying new shirts that i should be able to fit in soon. and damn is it fun!!!
  • bethanytowell
    bethanytowell Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    When my pants absolutley dont fit anymore, i will buy 1 or 2 pairs to get me through. I wont buy my favorite expensive jeans until im at goal though....Shirts.....i buy all the time.
  • UsaJewels05
    UsaJewels05 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your. I buy a few new items as I go! I was feeling discouraged because I still looked bad in clothes as I was losing the weight, and it was not me, it was because I was not wearing items that fit. So when I get a little extra money I buy a new item to reward myself and to make me see I have made achievements and this does look good.

I had a few items in my closet that were too small when I started so I did not actually have to start purchasing items until I was about at 30 lbs.
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    Shop clearance like crazy!!

BUT I would only buy key pieces that will help you look and feel good still. For example, if you need to look nice at work, buy a well fitted blazer that you can wear over other pieces that may be a bit too big.

Buy things that can be cinched at the waist with a belt if you need to.

I would just replace a few staple pieces for your own sanity!
  • MaryRegs
    MaryRegs Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I just went shopping. I had nothing leftover from last year that fit even remotely well. Not only was it enjoyable to be able to "pick" from different styles of tops-it was a lesson in getting used to my new body. Am only halfway to my goal-but the new clothes will carry me through to the end. I bought from top to bottom-even had to replace shoes...my feet had stretched my old ones out.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I've been buying a few things here and there -- mostly work stuff so I don't look like a hobo in the office. I keep buying the wrong sizes because I hate trying things on and I don't feel like my body has changed drastically. I started as a 22W and I keep wanting to buy 20Ws but I've found I'm actually a misses' 18... and those are starting to bag a bit.
  • sunsetzen
    sunsetzen Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I only buy new clothes when mine arent fitting anymore. By that I mean falling down (pants), baggy waist (shirts) or not holding mah boobz up (bras).