how fat are you on a global scale?

Options

Replies

• mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    This is for those who are bummed or unhappy by their results. Anyone else can skip :wink:

Keep in mind that these are statistical averages. Just because someone is heavier or lighter than a certain % of the world doesn't mean they are more, or less, healthy. It also doesn't mean they are over weight or need to be skinnier :tongue: If you are between lighter than 84% and heavier than 84% of the population, you are in the range of normal (or sometimes "average" although statistically that has a different meaning).

Also remember that this comparison includes nations, like Ethiopia, where malnourishment is a big health issue. No, not everyone in these countries is underweight (there are overweight people there, too, I'm sure), but the higher number of those who are underweight will bring down the mean. So don't change your goal just because of this app! :laugh:
  • mathjulz
    Options
    Case in point ...

According to that BS the fastest man in the world is overweight. FTW!

Having a higher BMI than 72% of males his age doesn't mean he's overweight. Statistically, he is normal. BMI is borderline normal/overweight. Neither is an indication of his health/fitness level (obviously).
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    Obesity Index
    0bmi

National
    Below average
    You have a lower BMI than 100% of females aged 45-59 in your country

Global
    Below average
    You have a lower BMI than 100% of females aged 45-59 in the world

If everyone in the world had the same BMI as you, it would remove 285,509,774 tonnes from the total weight of the world's population

You're most like someone from Bangladesh*

ETA: according to mfp, my BMI is 18.5
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    33bmi
    You have a higher BMI than 77% of males aged 45-59 in your country
    You have a higher BMI than 97% of males aged 45-59 in the world
  • m16shane
    m16shane Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    It says I need to be taller or move to a different country. I'm fatter than 53% of the people in US
  • smc864
    smc864 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mewe6cc5zy1rw5rky_zpse7b3d3d3.gif
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    Today I learned about Eritrea.

Apparently, Eritrea is a country in the horn of Africa, with extensive coastline along the red sea. Eritrea has a population of around 6 million people, gained it's independence in 1991, and is where my body type is considered "average" according to this asinine global BMI calculator.
  • sunman00
    sunman00 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it would have inspired me at the start of my journey because I didn't know about it, but at my 1st goal weight, reached last week, the results have changed significantly, and that brings great pleasure,
    good luck to everyone on their journey :)

at my SW I had a BMI of 31%, at my CW it's 25%

at my SW my BMI was higher than 74% of males in my age group in the UK, now it's lower than 78%

at my SW my BMI was higher than 91% of global males my age, now it's higher than 55%

and if all males my age had my SW BMI we'd have added 87.25 million tonnes to global weight, that's down to 18.5 million tonnes
  • smc864
    smc864 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Today I learned about Eritrea.

Apparently, Eritrea is a country in the horn of Africa, with extensive coastline along the red sea. Eritrea has a population of around 6 million people, gained it's independence in 1991, and is where my body type is considered "average" according to this asinine global BMI calculator.

LOL!
  • KiltFuPanda
    KiltFuPanda Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    BMI: 48

Heavier than 100% of the world? Yes.

Fatter than 100% of the world? Hardly.

Yet another reason to send BMI to the trash bin.
  • Jessica1173
    Jessica1173 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Wow. this test is really offensive, mean and embarrassing. I know I am really big and I knew the test was going to have bad results, but I also know I am not the only one is who my size. According to the test I am bigger than the whole world by 100%. Even when I was thinner I was still supposedly bigger than 97% of the entire world and most likely from Barbados.
  • Jessica1173
    Jessica1173 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    My sisters are 22 and 18 BMI. The first should be in the Philippines and the second in Vietnam.
  • hungrypotato
    hungrypotato Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    28bmi

You have a higher BMI than 62% of males aged 15-29 in United States

You have a higher BMI than 95% of males aged 15-29 in the world

You're most like someone from Croatia*
  • rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    According to this thing, there are zero obese people in Canada.

I SMELL SOMETHING
  • mathjulz
    Options
    Wow. this test is really offensive, mean and embarrassing. I know I am really big and I knew the test was going to have bad results, but I also know I am not the only one is who my size. According to the test I am bigger than the whole world by 100%. Even when I was thinner I was still supposedly bigger than 97% of the entire world and most likely from Barbados.

It's statistics. Far from perfect in describing single people :tongue: (Much better in describing groups). It's not really telling you that you're the biggest person in the world. Most likely rounds, too, and there's a lot going on between 95%, 97%, 99%, etc. (Statistically, 100 doesn't really exist either).

Also make sure you've got units right. If you have kg or cm instead of lbs and inches, it can really throw things off!
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    according to this:
    17 bmi

i have a lower bmi than 97% females aged 15-29 in the united states
    i have a lower bmi than 85% of females aged 15-29 in the world
    if everyone in the world had the same bmi as me, it would remove 78,614,041 tonnes from the total weight of the world's population

i'm most like someone from vietnam
  • zensugi
    zensugi Posts: 76
    Options
    You have a lower BMI than 80% of males aged 45-59 in your country. You have a higher BMI than 53% of males aged 45-59 in the world. BMI 25

You're most like someone from Maldives. Like that.
  • zensugi
    zensugi Posts: 76
    Options
    BMI is legitimately the worst possible measure of healthiness.
    This, especially for people who lift.

Navy Seals tend to be over weight ... NOT ... only on the Navy's idiotic charts.

this site is fun though

I guess most people in this forum do not have the physique of a Navy Seal and are (BMI or not), how to put it politely, fat.
  • Adrianachiarato
    Adrianachiarato Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    BMI 22.61 - You're most like someone from Rwanda*

You have a lower BMI than 77% of females aged 30-44 in your country
    You have a lower BMI than 60% of females aged 30-44 in the world

If everyone in the world had the same BMI as you, it would remove 13,761,964 tonnes from the total weight of the world's population
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    That's pretty cool!

My BMI is lower than 92% of females aged 15-29 in the US (that's surprising!) and lower than 72% around the world. Quite a discrepancy between the US average and the worldwide average.

"If everyone in the world had the same BMI as you, it would remove 53,633,383 tonnes from the total weight of the world's population."

Most like someone from Eritrea