Is 1 cup coffee = 1 cup water?

Hello, subject is 1 cup of coffee = 1 cup water? Dave

Replies

• Pelly57
    Pelly57 Posts: 169 Member
    No. Water is water and coffee is coffee. Although minimal, coffee has a diuretic effect, which negates some of the advantages of drinking water. Having said that, I believe coffee is the most important fluid I drink all day, I would be a sleepy grouchy b*tch without it. So, drink your coffee, but try to pack in as much water as you can. I often follow an old drinking rule. For each drink, have one glass of water, you don't get another drink until you drink your glass of water. I've given up alcohol, so now I use this rule for coffee.
  • Only water is water to me. The caffeine in it is a slight diuretic but shouldn't hurt you.
    I see no problem with coffee if you're not pouring a bunch of sugar in it. Still need to drink water though.
  • Salty_Sauce
    Salty_Sauce Posts: 1,329 Member
    In terms of volume ? Yes

In terms of how you drink it ? No Ie.....sips vs gulps

In terms of health benefits? No water > coffee
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    In terms of volume ? Yes

In terms of how you drink it ? No Ie.....sips vs gulps

In terms of health benefits? No water > coffee

I disagree with the last point. Yes, water keeps you hydrated, which is important. However, coffee has been shown to aid in the prevention of type 2 diabetes, some cancers, heart disease, and some neurological disorders. It contains tons of antioxidants. Health-wise, coffee is at LEAST as beneficial as water, if not more so.

To the OP's question - it really doesn't matter all that much. Yes, coffee has caffeine, which has a slight diuretic effect, but it absolutely does not negate the entirety of the water consumption as part of the cup of coffee - not even close. Drink your coffee. Drink enough water to stay hydrated (more or less to thirst). As long as you *feel* appropriately hydrated, don't stress about the exact number of ounces of liquids you consume per day unless you either have a medical condition that requires you to do so (in which case you should be speaking with your doctor about the appropriateness of including coffee in your diet anyway).
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    1 cup of coffee is just that. 1 cup of coffee. They are not interchangeable, synonymous, etc.

Coffee = coffee
    Water = water
    Coffee =/= water.
  • AmyMgetsfit
    AmyMgetsfit Posts: 636 Member
    I drink coffee pre workout and water during and after workout. Even though coffee is 98% water, it's just not the same drinking it while working out. I need plain old water. Coffee does give me energy pre workout though. Years ago they used to count coffee and tea as water.