Replies

• nyboer
    nyboer Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Bump for soup recipes
  • penguinlally
    penguinlally Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I have some soup recipes on my hobby (not selling) cooking blog at http://heidicookssupper.com/blog/category/soup/

The first one on the list is an easy "creamed soup basic formula" which you can turn into almost anything.

I second what everybody says about butternut squash soup. To easily prepare the squash, I poke a couple holes in it with a fork, wrap it in foil, set it in a dish to catch any drippings, and bake it for an hour or so at anywhere from 300F to 400F. When a fork pokes through it easily, it's done. Then cool in the foil. Refrigerated, it will keep in this state for a day or two. Cut in half lengthwise and scope out the seeds and stringy stuff. The meat will scoop out of the skin almost as easily as an avocado.

The cooked squash can then be used in a variety of ways or tossed in the freezer for later use. If you really think your family will balk at the squash but they like pumpkin pie, make a squash pie and slowly convert them to thinking butternut squash is a real treat.

yup yup yup ^^^ Plus I puree the squash and use 15-16 oz of the puree in a box of cake mix ( that's it - just 2 ingredients ) and make slammi tasty muffin/cupcakes - all my nieces & grand nieces n nephews love them! Also give delicata squash a try.

one of our favorite fall/winter soups is a Quick Chicken Corn Chowder ( asian style)
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/easy-chinese-corn-soup/
  • tjsoccermom
    tjsoccermom Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • pboveejo
    Options
    Thanks for sharing.
  • MsPudding
    MsPudding Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Roast Parsnip Soup - serves 5
    300g Parsnips
    2 tablespoons Olive Oil
    25g Unsalted Butter
    1 large onion diced
    1 vegetable stock cube
    375 ml semi-skimmed milk
    1 tablespoon dried rosemary

1. Peel and half the parsnips, toss in 1 tablespoon of the oil and roast in a hot oven until golden (about 15 minutes)
    2. Fry the diced onion until soft in the butter and rest of the oil.
    3. Chop up the roasted parsnips and add to the onions, along with the rosemary
    4. Fry for 5 minutes until veg is soft
    5. Add the stock cube, milk and about half a pint of water. Bring to the boil and leave to simmer for 10 minutes, then blend until smooth and season with salt & pepper to taste.
    ** If you want to get clever, get an extra parsnip, peel and slice thinly on a mandolin, spray with oil and put on a baking tray in the hot oven until the thin slices go crisp. Then decorate the top of each bowl of soup with a 'parsnip crisp'

Roasted Red Pepper & Tomato Soup - serves 4
    - 6 Medium Red Peppers (sweet bell peppers)
    - 6 large tomatoes
    - 1 large onion, diced
    - 3 gloves of garlic, minced
    - 1 tablespoon tomato puree
    - 1 vegetable stock cube
    - 1 tablespoon oil

1. Spray the peppers with oil and either put under a hot grill or get a blowtorch on them until the skin is blackened and cracking. Leave to cool and then peel the skin off them, deseed and stalk
    2. Fry the diced onion and garlic in the oil until the onion is soft.
    3. Chop up the cooled peppers and add in
    4. Blanche the tomatoes but slitting each in a cross and steeping in boiling water for 5 minutes. Then skin them, chop them and add them to the mixture.
    5. Add the tomato puree, stock cube and about 1-1.5 pints of water. Simmer for 10 minutes and then blend until smooth
    *** If you want to get clever, serve the soup with a crumble of goat's cheese on top, or some herby croutons

Celeriac & Roast Garlic Soup - serves 5
    - 1 large celeriac (about 1kg), peeled and diced
    - 1 large onion diced
    - 1 whole head of garlic
    - 1 vegetable stock cube
    - 1 tablespoon of oil

1. Cut the head of garlic in half horizontally across the cloves, spray with oil, wrap each half in tin foil and bake in a hot oven for about 15 minutes or until the garlic looks caramelised. Cool, then squeeze all the garlic flesh out into a bowl
    2. In a pan, fry the chopped celeriac and onion until soft. Then add the roast garlic.
    3. Add in the stock and about 1-1.5 pints of water. Simmer the whole thing until soft and then blend until smooth and season with salt/pepper to your taste.
    *** if you want to get clever, drizzle with a little garlic infused extra virgin olive oil

Thai Butternut Squash Soup - serves 8
    - half a large butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and diced
    - 2 red chillis, deseeded and chopped
    - 1 large onion diced
    - 2 stalks of fresh lemongrass, or 1 tablespoon or 'ready to use' stuff
    - 30 ml fish sauce
    - 3 garlic cloves, minced
    - 1 inch knob of fresh ginger root, peeled and grated
    - 1 400g tin of reduced fat coconut milk
    - 1 veg stock cube
    - 1 tablespoon oil

1. Fry the butternut squash, onion, garlic and red chilli until soft
    2. Add the lemongrass, ginger, fish sauce, stock cube and coconut milk, along with approx 1 pint of water.
    3. Bring to boil and simmer until all the veg is soft, then blend until smooth
  • musycnlyrics
    musycnlyrics Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    BUMP
    **drool**
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Everything sounds great!
  • zsgirl1218
    zsgirl1218 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    OMG these all sound so yummy!!!!! Ima going to make the butternut squash soup and if they don't like it then they can fix a pb and j!!!
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I have a bunch of soup recipes, most of which are South Beach friendly, on Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/issypal

This week I made a huge pot of 17 bean soup and then divided it into two pots--flavored one with Italian seasonings and added Foster Farms Italian turkey meatballs, and flavored the other one with taco/chili seasonings and added browned ground turkey meat. Most of it went in the freezer.
  • zsgirl1218
    zsgirl1218 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I have a bunch of soup recipes, most of which are South Beach friendly, on Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/issypal

This week I made a huge pot of 17 bean soup and then divided it into two pots--flavored one with Italian seasonings and added Foster Farms Italian turkey meatballs, and flavored the other one with taco/chili seasonings and added browned ground turkey meat. Most of it went in the freezer.

Ohhhhh I never thought about that
  • BexleyGirl
    Options
    Bump
  • Mollysous
    Options
    My favorite is a healthy remake of Olive Garden's zuppa toscano. Cook 1 package of turkey sweet Italian sausage in a skillet by removing the skin and crumbling (like burger). While that cooks, heat 8 cups of broth (of your choice) in a large pot to boiling, add about 5-8 (depends on size) cubed red skin potatoes (I leave the skin on) and boil potatoes in the broth until fork tender. Add the cooked sausage to the soup. Right before serving, add 2-4 cups of ribbed and chopped kale or fresh spinach. This also works with sweet potatoes or any other veggie you want to add.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    This carrot soup is AWESOME. Very low cal, very easy, very fast, and very filling! I still have leftovers in my freezer, and can't wait to finish it off!!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/curried-carrot-soup-recipe/index.html#!
  • gooster5
    gooster5 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Emily bites' roasted poblano corn chowder is amazing!
    Skinnytaste's baked potato soup and chicken pot pie soup are also great!

Those 2 websites have countless great recipes
  • tambam69
    tambam69 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    bump for recipes..
  • carolina822
    carolina822 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Made this yesterday and it was fantastic, and extremely filling. 174 calories per serving according to the recipe builder.

===========================================================================================

Hearty Tuscan Bean Stew from Cooks Illustrated
    serves 8

1 lb. dried cannellini (2 cups), picked over and rinsed
    1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
    6 oz. pancetta, cut into ¼" pieces (you can substitute bacon)
    1 lg. onion, chopped medium (1½ cups)
    2 med. celery ribs, cut into ½" pieces (3/4 cup)
    2 med. carrots, peeled and cut into ½" pieces (1 cup)
    8 med. garlic cloves, minced
    4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
    3 cups water
    2 bay leaves
    1 bunch spinach, kale, or collard greens (1 lb), chopped into 1" pieces
    1 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes, drained and rinsed
    1 sprig fresh rosemary
    freshly ground black pepper

Dissolve 3 Tbsp. salt in 4 quarts of cold water. Add beans and soak at room temperature for at least 8 hours and up to 24. Drain and rinse well.
    Preheat oven to 250 degrees and adjust rack to lower middle position.
    Heat oil and in a Dutch oven over medium heat, then add the pancetta (or bacon) stirring occasionally. Cook until pancetta is light brown and the fat has rendered, about 6-10 minutes.
    Add onions, celery, and carrots. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables have softened and are lightly browned, 10-15 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook until it is fragrant, about a minute. Stir in the broth, water, bay leaves, and beans. Increase heat to high and and when it reaches a simmer, cover the pot and place it in the oven. Cook until the beans are almost tender, 45-60 minutes. The very center of the beans should still be firm.
    Remove from oven. Stir in the greens and tomatoes. Cover and return to oven and cook until the beans and greens are fully tender, 30-40 minutes longer.
    Remove from oven and immerse the rosemary sprig in the stew. Cover and let sit for 15 minutes. Discard rosemary and bay leaves. Adjust seasoning with salt and black pepper.
  • joyce0624
    joyce0624 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    bump for recipes later thanks!:happy:
  • VictoryGarden
    VictoryGarden Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    If you want to add a surprisingly yummy "filler
    ' to your broth based soups that is also cheap - add chopped cabbage.

No really, trust me.

:wink: