Cardios for obese.

Options
Hello all i'd like to know if anyone knows any good cardio workout for obese. i'm not completly out of shape but my stamina is really low I've been a smoker for many years and my lounges are running out preety fast. I'd like to know from some of you guys who lost a lot of weight and you were obese what workout trains you followed.

Regards and thanks to all...

My blog: http://nonstopeffort.blogspot.com/

Replies

• FrauHaas2013
    FrauHaas2013 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    You can always start with walking. If you can't make it very far, that's OK - you'll probably get your heartrate up pretty quickly! Then work on building your stamina - walk longer and longer each time. Once you get to a certain point, you can start jogging or running if you like (I hate it). I do jump roping - I used to only be able to do it for like 10 seconds when I first started!!! Now I'm up to 5 minutes. Doesn't sound like much, but it DEFINITELY gets my heart racing quickly.

Now I'm incorporating resistance training to tone as I lose. I use a Bowflex, but free weights are the best. I just can't use them due to some wrist and elbow issues that I have.
  • Qski
    Qski Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I haven't lost a lot (yet) but I am doing a Couch to 5Km learn how to run program. The one I am doing is called Zombies, Run 5k Training (it has a zombie story line to go with your workouts) - but there are a few others. You can start out just walking. When you start out big like us, little bits can actually burn a staggering amount of calories because of the effort we have to put in to moving around the extra weight.

I also have a workout dvd program called Les Mills Pump that combines strength and cardio (I had to buy weights to go with it though - but they do sell a version with some weights) and am going to buy another one when I finish a round (90 days) of the PUMP plan. I have friends who have Jillian Michaels DVDs and people rave about it on this site - so much so that there is a site they created with success pictures I don't have the URL sorry, will come back to add it when I find it. But if you google 30Day Shred Results, and look at the images, major awesome!

just walking is totally awesome too, especially for starting out. Good Luck with your journey!
  • MarvelouslyMe
    MarvelouslyMe Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try the C25k app from Zen labs.. it trains you to run a 5k in 8 weeks by walking and jogging. And its only 3 days a week, that way you get in some intervals and its not to difficult to accomplish. Good luck!
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Walking is probably the best place to start.
  • barb1241
    barb1241 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I started out trying to walk around ONE block and worked my way up from there. I smoked for many many years, then quis smoking and goined over 80 lbs. The first month trying to walk around a single block, I stopped every few steps and cried. When I made it around one-I bumped it up to two. And so on. Now I can hike all day with a backpack. I rode the bicycle for 50 miles once this summer-all at the same time. You can do it if you just start slowly. Eat the elephant one bite at a time!

Best of luck!
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I haven't lost a lot (yet) but I am doing a Couch to 5Km learn how to run program. The one I am doing is called Zombies, Run 5k Training (it has a zombie story line to go with your workouts) - but there are a few others. You can start out just walking. When you start out big like us, little bits can actually burn a staggering amount of calories because of the effort we have to put in to moving around the extra weight.

I also have a workout dvd program called Les Mills Pump that combines strength and cardio (I had to buy weights to go with it though - but they do sell a version with some weights) and am going to buy another one when I finish a round (90 days) of the PUMP plan. I have friends who have Jillian Michaels DVDs and people rave about it on this site - so much so that there is a site they created with success pictures I don't have the URL sorry, will come back to add it when I find it. But if you google 30Day Shred Results, and look at the images, major awesome!

just walking is totally awesome too, especially for starting out. Good Luck with your journey!

This zombies run is so fun <3
  • loserlee123
    loserlee123 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I walk and use a cellphone app called runkeeper to track my time, calories burned and distance
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    I started out taking 15-20 minute walks with my daughter. I built up from there. Also Leslie Sansone walk at home DVD's are great!
  • brraanndi
    brraanndi Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sansone Walking dvds would be the way to start. Super easy and gets you moving.
  • greekfatty
    Options
    Thank you all for your replys. Walking and cycling were two of my options. I HATE RUNNING when I run i feel my belly doing things that will cause a new Big Bang :laugh: :laugh: .

I didn't said it right, I'm searching a cardio workout that I can perfom it indoors, in my house. I don't really got money right now for equipment so I'll be glad if you can give me something without weights. .

Guys and girls thanks again this community is really nice to new members :D
  • AshatanViz
    AshatanViz Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Why are you writing your blog in English if you're more comfortable with Greek? You'll probably get more Greek followers than English-speakers that way. Your writing is a bit hard to read.
  • Avarindria
    Avarindria Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I love Leslie Sansone... Her older workouts are so much easier to do than her newer videos. Mainly because I'm not very coordinated! LOL http://amzn.com/B0000A59W5 Walking outside is also an awesome idea!
  • Linda09189
    Options
    you simply have to start doing "something", it doesn't matter for how long or for how fast
    all that comes with time.....just move a little and do it every single day
  • greekfatty
    Options
    Ashatan you're propably right, but I really want to practice my english skills, and I feel better to have worldwide support :D

Leslie Sansone has so many fans, I'll have to look up to her!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    a good fast pace walk or repeated stair climbing can really do wonders
  • BarbaraLee15
    BarbaraLee15 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    At 65 I have become an avid pool goer. It was tough at first to be in public in a swimsuit but... no one sees much when you are in the water! Now I am up to two aquatic fitness classes a morning as well as a good period doing plain old running on the spot in the water with water weights as "dumbells". In two months I have gone down over 2 sizes and lost about 30 pounds. Most pools have a free pass system for those who cannot afford the full price, here anyhow. Where once before I hated exercise, now I wake up eager to put on my suit and get to the pool! You are weightless in the water...
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your replys. Walking and cycling were two of my options. I HATE RUNNING when I run i feel my belly doing things that will cause a new Big Bang :laugh: :laugh: .

I didn't said it right, I'm searching a cardio workout that I can perfom it indoors, in my house. I don't really got money right now for equipment so I'll be glad if you can give me something without weights. .

oh if youre doing it indoors get an exercise step you can do it in a little space and it can really help bring up your heart rate
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Walk til' you drop. lol. Really, it's so awesome. Find a nice park or trail and do as much as you can!

I started at 211 lbs and I'm 5'2. I'm obese. I began in June and started with walking to the 1 mile marker at my local park, and then back to entrance. Over the summer I slowly upped it to the full 3.5 miles it yields. When my daughter started pre-k in September I began hiking at a nature trail a mile from her school. I walk 1 mile to the trail, hike, and walk all the way back. Roughly it's 6.5 miles. These feet were made for walking, and that's just what they'll do.
    With following my MFP goals and Exercise, I'm now down to 180 lbs. WIN!!!!!!!!!

Don't discount the awesomeness of walking.
  • dessyjo
    dessyjo Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I had an MFP friend who used Leslie Sansone's workouts religiously and lost over 100 pounds.

I just started using them on youtube. Haven't lost any weight yet, but fingers crossed!

I lost my first 20-30 pounds using the shaun Ts rockin body dvds.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options

Hah, just read this after I wrote my first reply.

I like 30 Day Shred. It's tough, but it gets the job done, and you'll feel the difference in your endurance in just a few days.