I tested out Couch to 5k today...

Options
13»

Replies

• carblover79
    Options
    There are numerous C25K training plans. I know that the one I started with years ago started in much smaller increments. If you can make it through the 1 minute intervals to start with, GREAT JOB! If not, look for another training plan that isn't as intense at the begining.
  • TMLPatrick
    TMLPatrick Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Good for you!!! I am just finishing my C25K challenge (only 2 weeks left)! Just a tip if your interested... don't focus on speed... just jog lightly and focus on your breathing. Also.. the first 4 weeks might seem impossible to you but honestly week 5-8 and easy!!! You can do it!!

^this. Go slow... the constant switching between running and walking is deceptively difficult. Once it switches to long runs with little if/any walking (weeks 5-8), it gets way easier.
  • Booda101
    Booda101 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Can anyone recommend which app they are using? I started on Saturday with an app by Zen Labs. However it has twice force closed while using it.

I am going to try a C25K by RunDouble tomorrow and hope this will be more reliable.
  • TMLPatrick
    TMLPatrick Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I never had any trouble with the Zen Labs one.... although I might have been using the pro version and that might make a difference? I don't remember. I also haven't used it since upgrading to iOS7...
  • happyheart15
    happyheart15 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Some bad news. Endurance-wise, I feel up for the challenge, but my knees are REALLY hurting from the jogging. I know I can get knee braces and get fitted for running shoes. (Getting fitted and getting new shoes won't happen for a while because I don't have the money). I want to continue, but I don't want to blow my knees out.
  • smaka578
    smaka578 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello, all!! My name is jess. I just had a baby boy, on 9/6/13. Prior to that I had started c25k and stopped more times than I care to remember. I am now back to my pre-pregnancy weight, but still have the 54 pounds I was carrying around before my son, to lose. However, I am really feeling inspired and motivated...my son's birth has given me new reason to want to be healthy. I just completed week 3 and started week 4!!! I couldn't believe that I was able to run 5 minute intervals!!!! I am really loving how I feel after doing this...for the first time , in a long time, I feel like I CAN change my life and wellness...and my body too!! I feel like I actually believe it too..which is a big change in and of itself!! Please feel free to friend me, lets keep each other going!!! Good luck and happy jogging!!!!

Oh, and if anyone has any recommendations for sore feet and knees...and possible stretches to help, I would be most grateful!! :)
  • HazenAllen
    HazenAllen Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I completed C25k last year and the way I did it was during my run intervals I did a slower pace jog. I was able to get through all the weeks pretty well. Maybe you can turn it into an 18 week program with the light jog being your fast pace for the first 9 week interval, and have the light pace jog be your slow pace for the second 9 week interval. You don't want to go too gung ho and exhaust yourself by going too hard too fast :)
  • ladybugfrenzy
    ladybugfrenzy Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Like many, I started and never completed the program. I always had an excuse. It is tough! But one day I was walking and an older woman flew by me running. I had NO excuse. (nothing against age) I'm getting up there myself. So I just kept telling myself if she could do it, why can't I. So now I"m on Week 7 day 3! I feel so much more powerful! It is addicting like people say. You see the daily checks on the app and when you review how far you've come, you want to push harder!

Now I want to do the C210k. You can do it!
  • MrsH1987
    MrsH1987 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    My next workout tomorrow will be week 1 day 3. I did day 1 on Monday and I almost gave up on the last 60 seconds of running but as I went to stop it told me to stop running anyway.

Yesterday was day 2 and I managed the 60 second runs just fine, I really surprised myself. Day 3 tomorrow!

Keep up to good work. My first 5k is in March!
  • Wilmingtonbelle
    Wilmingtonbelle Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    WTG!!! :flowerforyou:

I started C25K two weeks ago although I'm still on week 1. Each time I get closer to finishing all of the running parts so I know I will get there.

Sláinte! :drinker:
  • AmyMgetsfit
    AmyMgetsfit Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    It took me 4 months to complete the program because I did some weeks or days over. I am 58 years old and thought my learning to run days were over. I needed a new challenge with my workouts and decided to give it a go. One of my MFP friends did it and gave me the inspiration to try it with her day by day logs. I can now run over 4 miles without stopping. It has also improved my walking speed.
  • stacie915
    stacie915 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Well, I got inspired by everyone that started doing this and succeeded so I thought I'm going to try this myself. I did it today thinking I would NEVER make it through the first day's regime, but I did it and am so happy!! I'm so excited I've downloaded the C25K app on my phone and synced it with My Fitness Pal. I hope my legs and hips can endure it all, but I'm going to take it slow and not push myself...If I have to repeat I will. I'm 48 years YOUNG and know that the exercise will only help. Thanks to all of you who have motivated me in this!!
  • nielsonfam
    nielsonfam Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I'm on Week 2, Day 3 myself...I think I can, I think I can, I think I can...
  • annamc18
    annamc18 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I started the C25K program back in April -- did waaay awesome & didn't miss a day....then when week 4 came along so did the high temps and humidity (here is Georgia)...and I ended up quitting

I have decided to restart it & have done week 1 a bunch of times since last month my sister and I were meeting up to workout. Now that is becoming harder and harder to do since our schedules are all over the place, so I just started doing it again myself this week.

I started on Tuesday with Week 1 again -- and it was waaaaaay too easy. I did Week 2 yesterday -- and that actually seemed pretty easy as well.

I think I might try Week 3 on saturday to see how it goes...it'd be amazing to think I have kinda kept up the endurance I gained back in April -- but I feel like if I not stuggling it's not hard enough! lol.

I think you will love it!!! My best suggestion, though, is to pay the money and go get fitted for running shoes. I had such horrible foot pain by the end of my workout, I wanted to stop. But i got the right running shoes and haven't had a problem since.

Good luck!!! Feel free to add me if you want!
  • shainafay
    shainafay Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    That's so great!! I started c25k at least four times before this one, and now I'm one week 4, day 2! Never have I gotten this far before, and my first day was just like yours :) Keep it up, you've got a lot of people rooting for you!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!