Hunting for Keto dieting friends

Options
I'm looking for friends who are doing a keto diet. This is not a thread about pro's and con's, but for those running this kind of diet looking for either advice or support in it. I'm past the 3 weeks going into it and I now have less than 10g a day of carbs. I have questions for those who have done it and advice for those who may consider it. You can ask me what my experience has been like and I'll reply honestly.

Replies

• penguinlally
    penguinlally Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I'm just now beginning the Carb Nite Solution - 30g or less daily.... Today is day 8 for me and I have loads of questions....giving up the refined carbs was easy I didn't eat much anyway - fruit has been hard to omit - but I'm doing it - Luckily I am a total carnivore and a cheese hound as well - fr\\
  • anybeary
    anybeary Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Just started it Friday. I'm at about 45g of carbs right now, but thinking of going lower. I've been walking about 45 minutes a day since starting, but I just did my first hard gym workout since starting keto today, and expected it to be misery, but I was totally fine and had energy through the whole thing. Aside from some lightheadedness/headache on Saturday, I haven't had any problems. I'm mostly worried about the whole bad breath side effect right now. Any experience with this? I don't know if I have bad breath or not, but I don't want to find out in an embarrassing way!
  • Ralthor125
    Ralthor125 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Bad breath...yeah, I have that. Brush often because of it. I've read that it goes away after awhile as your body gets a little use to it. I don't use gum as I don't want any artificial sweetener kicking me out of ketosis. The headaches and lightheadedness I had at first until I kicked up the fat count and then it faded a lot, but not all the way. My main issue right now is getting less sleep, but I'm not tired...I just sleep less than I did by about 2 hours. You will know when your breath changes...it is hard to miss.

Here is a really cool calculator to see what it takes to get into ketosis and how long it takes:

http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/
  • kimrb0107
    kimrb0107 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I just started yesterday. I've done something similar before...quite a few years ago. I won't say it was keto because I never really kept track of anything but was very strict with my carb intake and lost around 60 lbs. Since then I have gained it all back plus more so here I am again trying to re-train myself and lose it for good. I don't think I'm getting enough fat due to the headaches and light headedness I had yesterday and today. 2:30-3pmish is my toughest part of the day. Any ideas for convenient foods/snack to help me get some more fat in while at work or on the go would be helpful! I have quite a busy schedule and this is always an issue.
  • soniaa777
    soniaa777 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    a coupe years ago I went on a low carb diet, sticking to mainly greens and protein. Trying to get back on track and start eating cleaner. Id like to support, get support and try again. it was a struggle to start but once I got on the ball it was working well for me. my goal is another 70 lbs or so. ill add u. add me if u want :)
  • pinkcutie100
    pinkcutie100 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm starting tomorrow. I have done it before and it's a great way to lose weight.
  • anybeary
    anybeary Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Ha! I'm chewing sugarless gum like crazy right now. I can't tell if I have weird breath or not, but it does feel different when I exhale, like I'm exhaling alcohol or something, so I am assuming that's what you're talking about! Other experiences with this?
  • jen2xtreme
    jen2xtreme Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I just started a keto diet last week. Trying to keep carbs around 20g. The diet was easy for me to transition into as i was following a Paleo diet before so I don't miss a lot of the carbs like grains. I just like vegetables so i have to be careful in how much i consume. I'm also using Ketostix to see if i stay in ketosis. So far, i'm down about 6 lbs, but that's mostly water weight but I definitely don't feel bloated which is a great feeling. I also don't get cranky or lightheaded when I skip a meal. I'm happy so far.
  • Twargo3
    Options
    Also doing keto/LCHF lifestyle... Looking for friends with similar mindsets and lifestyles to stay motivated and on target. I started with Atkins in Mid November and found LCHF in the spring.. met my first goal of 40 pounds in August - but realized I have further to go.... but got SOOO comfortable that the scale hasn't really moved much since...i fluctuate between 147-149 pounds and want to see what 140 or even 135 would do for my body. SO TIRED OF THE STALL but know that CarbCreep has slipped in there and am playing around with percentages. Please add me if interested
    ;o)