Okay, ranbdom question. I don't understand ...

Options

Replies

• I weigh once a week in the morning after bathroom business and before eating or drinking anything.
    That way I can see real trends and not get caught up in these fluctuations that people tend to obsess over.
    I used to do that and broke myself of that bad habit..
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    I am also weird, but I am a knitting maniac. If knitting made one lose weight I wouldn't be seen with the naked eye.

Here is my weirdness- everybody says weigh first thing in the morning, after bathroom business, on the same scale. That's what I do. Then I get going, get dressed, have a drink, maybe eat, and wait an hour or two. Step on the scale again- I've dropped almost a pound.

My theory is that the scale likes screwing with one's head. Every.chance.it.gets.

I apologize. I did not mean to sound as if I thought knitting was truly awful or anything. Just not interested in that at all either, :p
    Your "scenario" is what most people see and what I would expect to see.
    I don't think my scale has a mind of it's own, but if it does and it's messing with me, it's working.
  • AnabolicKyle
    AnabolicKyle Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    possible scenarios

the air is @ 100% humidity and in ever breath you gain a little more weight than you exhale

wearing different clothes heavier/lighter

the scale has 1-2% error

the laws of physics somehow changed for you and only you
  • pinkiemarie252
    pinkiemarie252 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    O.o Why are you going 2 to 3 hours after waking up without drinking any water? I'd seriously pass out...
  • tiggerhammon
    Options
    I weigh once a week in the morning after bathroom business and before eating or drinking anything.
    That way I can see real trends and not get caught up in these fluctuations that people tend to obsess over.
    I used to do that and broke myself of that bad habit..

I am not obsessed. Has nobody here ever experienced genuine curiosity before?
  • tiggerhammon
    Options
    possible scenarios

the air is @ 100% humidity and in ever breath you gain a little more weight than you exhale

wearing different clothes heavier/lighter

the scale has 1-2% error

the laws of physics somehow changed for you and only you

Interesting as I had just googled this again and came up with a website where someone's response was similar to yours. Saying that, humidity may be to blame the body is actually retaining water from the air. I can see how it is possible but I live in a dry desert and it hasn't rained.
    Also, not just me. It did the same for my friend and apparently many other people as I have discovered while googling it.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m2p64vfrbW1ru6lvjo3_400.gif

:)
  • laurynwithawhy
    laurynwithawhy Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Your first mistake is that you're assuming your $20 scale is perfectly accurate. I can step on a scale 3 times in a row and it won't necessarily give me the exact same reading every time. Your second mistake was not finding a better use of your spare time. Might I suggest weightlifting, world of warcraft or knitting?

Can't start weightlifting now. Doctor says not to start anything new at this point and, frankly, weight lifting does not interest me. I hate WoW with such an angry passion! Knitting? Seriously? No.

I have actually tested this on my scale as well. In the past though, when reading a thread where someone else had said their scale would read differently every time.
    I weighed myself 5 times in a row on my scale and got the exact same number, down to the fraction.

That "exact" number on your scale is part of a memory system in digital scales. My friend is an electronics programmer and he used to program the parts in scales (among other things). He told me that most people don't like seeing those 1 or 2 pound differences, so there is like a 5 minute memory time, where if someone about the same weight steps on, it is programmed to read the exact same number. If you have a friend who weighs the exact same as you try it out. Even if you are a few ounces apart, it would read the same if she or you stepped on a 2nd time. I think there needs to be a 2 or 3 pound difference to eliminate that memory function.

Also, any affordable digital scale is horribly inaccurate, and any variation, from humidity, temperature, location of the weight, can cause a huge fluctuation in the reading. Gotta love spending money on something that only half works half the time.
  • lavender_fairie
    lavender_fairie Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    No need for apologies! :) your op made me smile, and then your disinterest in knitting made me smile again so I thought I'd chime in.

Of COURSE the scale has a mind of its own- a twisted, devious, maniacal mind. I'm trying to come up with a suitable name for it so I can personalize the insults and mutterings I have for it each day.
  • tiggerhammon
    Options
    Maybe a hobby or job would be a fun idea.

:laugh:

an increased level of the hormones estrogen and progesterone may do it...........otherwise, does it really matter? :frown:

Interesting, but my thoughts on this are quite opposite, thinking more along the lines of hormones being responsible for the increase in metabolism.
    I went looking, and read an article written by the MayoClinic saying as such. The reason they created the hcg diet was to imitate a pregnant woman's high metabolism. This new hormone combination would provide new ground rules of weight gain/loss for me but would make more sense if trying to explain a strange amount of weight loss, not gain.

eta: change to typos again. Stupid autocorrect.
  • AnabolicKyle
    AnabolicKyle Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    How much weight are we talking, honestly the answer has to be the scale.

how long have you done and recorded this for? 1 day, 1 week, 1 month, a year? chances are if you do this long enough you should get an average that is the same between the 3 hours.

your mass didn't change
  • tiggerhammon
    Options
    My tablet is about to die on me and (yes, I do have a job) I have work in the morning.
    I am headed to bed now but will be back on in the morning :)
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    huh.gif
  • gypsyrose64
    gypsyrose64 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Not that this will answer your question - BUT it's very informative about accurately tracking your weight. You have to watch both videos to get the full gist of his message.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/how-to-weigh-yourself-accurately/
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options
    inconceivable
  • 1pettis2
    Options
    Being naked vs clothed?
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    What kind of scale do you use? It would stand to reason that you would weigh less several hours after waking if you did not eat or drink anything in that time. Your body will lose some water (from breathing), and I can also assume that you were more active than you were than while sleeping.

If you have a standard floor scale, then it could be that it is not very accurate and will not reflect the same weight if you were to step on it even minutes apart.
  • OMGeeeHorses
    OMGeeeHorses Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    did you move the scale? is it in the EXACT same place you first weighed yourself? If not then that is the reason why, I make sure to weight myself 3 times in a row right after the other and if they are 100% the same then I know I really did lose weight or gained it :).

Also body fluctuates 3-5lbs. So yes it indeed can do that even after 2-3 hours. have to also figure you would have waste in your intestine and or you are growing a baby so could be increase like someone said in your hormones.
  • Davy_RockHit214
    Davy_RockHit214 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    O.o Why are you going 2 to 3 hours after waking up without drinking any water? I'd seriously pass out...

True! Drink water lady :-) there's a baby to take care of. We pregnant women are building blood.