Goal Weight: Right on Target or Under?

Options
As I cast my eyes toward the final few months of the fat-loss portion of my journey, I'm thinking a lot about goal weight.

At my thinnest I was within 15 lbs of my ultimate goal weight. But now I'm thinking about lowering that by about 5-10 lbs. It strikes me as a bit freeing to get under my goal, so that I have a good cushion to lose/gain. I don't like the idea of stopping weight loss right at goal, so that any natural fluctuations can so easily tip me over. Seems easier to me to maintain a range versus a specific number, with my goal weight being the highest end of that spectrum.

For those who reached their goal, did you set a weight that was right on the dot for what you wanted, or did you go a little under to give yourself a buffer?

Anybody else thinking of maintenance in terms of a range vs one set number?

Replies

• nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    When I was losing, I set a weight range as my goal - 150-155. That was the range where I was when I graduated from college and where I came back to after my kids were born. It's also my 'ideal' weight according to the NIH.

I upped my calories when I hit 150 and have stayed pretty stable - I'm sometimes a bit lower than that right now, but it's been six months and I often lose a tad over the summer.

Many people gain a bit of weight from water and glycogen when they up their calories coming off of a deficit, then stabilize. Going for the low side of a weight range gets around that problem and allows for natural day-to-day weight fluctuations.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,983 Member
    Options
    Yes, have been wondering this myself .

I think a range of 1.5 kg or around 2.5 - 3 lb either side of 'perfect number'
  • PippiNe
    PippiNe Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I am just entering maintenance. My original goal was 125 until I read about how your body will put on the "water weight" you lost so easily at first when coming off my calorie deficit. So I dieted down to 120 and now expect to see a 3-4 lb increase this week due to my body replenishing those glycogen supplies. I do not want to go over the 125 mark so I hope I've padded my loss enough to stay around 123. I would aim for a weight just a few pounds lower than where you want to be when you maintain.
  • FrauMama
    FrauMama Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    My original goal was around 145 (which was only about a 5 lbs loss...I'd just gotten heavier than I'd ever been and--at 40 years old--didn't want to start down that slippery slope of slowly getting fat with age. I ended up around 138-140, sort of unintentionally, but am happy with that and agree with your feeling that being UNDER is good; otherwise, as you also said, normal fluctuations put you over your goal weight, which is no fun. Now I start stressing when I get closer (from the lower side) to what was originally my goal, or at least where I thought I'd end up looking how I want to and feeling good.

Also, as you get lower and closer (or beyond) your goal weight, the goal might change. That's sort of what happened with me. I never thought I'd be lighter than I was 10 years ago (142 lbs) as a fitness model, but I am now, and it's a different look (after 2 kids and so many years)....just mentioning that as something to keep in mind. Not sure how long ago it was that you were at your thinnest, but it sounds like you'll surpass that now, if you haven't already, and maybe your ultimate goal weight will change as well. Definitely aim for slightly under, though; if nothing else it helps get out of the mentality of freaking when the numbers go up, which they of course do naturally (and then back down) all the time.

Good luck, and nice work!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I suggest using the mirror instead. Stop losing when you are happy with the results, then step on the scale, and bam, there is your goal weight.

During my cut, I actually lost 4-5 lbs more than I thought I would have to to get the look I was going for.
  • gibbsedward
    gibbsedward Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My original goal was 160, but I blew right through that,. Then I said I'll make it 155 so I have some room, but after an unrelated stay in the hospital I was suddenly 145, which was scary. I gained 5 lbs back with Ensure and ice cream, then decided to try to hold at 150. I've been within +/- 2-3 lbs for several months now, and it's a good feeling to know that I have some headroom. But I still freak out if the scale says 153 one morning, even though I know it's normal variation.
  • jen4relient22
    Options
    i tried sooo hard to get a few pounds below my goal weight of 130, since i know i'll gain a few back from water weight/glycogen rebound.... but my body just wouldn't lose any more. :( i think my body's happy weight is 135 (i'm 5'7"), so i'm finally accepting that i just might not be able to maintain 130 without really struggling. so instead of worrying so much over a few vanity pounds, i'm just going to be happy with my loss so far and switch over to maintenance.

so, i think it's a great plan to get a few pounds under your goal. but if you're stuck for months like i was, maybe focus on accepting your work and not focusing on the number anymore.
  • candyauletto
    Options
    I reached my goal weight today actually. I thought about the holidays coming up and decided to lose 5 more lbs. so I don't stress during them and get to enjoy tastes of the yummy treats I have deprived myself of. I did however change my goal of 2 lbs to 1-1/2 and plan on changing it every week by a 1/2 pound in order to slowly increase my calories. Not sure if this will help, but I am hoping so.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I've been on maintenance for a couple of years now. My weight ended up a little lower than my goal, because after I switched to maintenance I just kept losing. So I kept adding cals back until it evened out and that became my maintenance. I'm just a few pounds under goal but it ended up being a happy place for my body so I'm not messing with it. My goal was 135, but it ended up 130-132 (that's where it hovers year-round).

Everybody's talking about going lower than goal because they are afraid of gaining back water weight. This was not an issue for me. I was set to such a slow, gradual loss and then I eased into maintenance, so there was no shock to the system when I stopped. I haven't gained any back, but that's probably because I still log - it's easy and it's a habit so why not? :drinker:
  • pauljsaunders
    Options
    Every thing that I’ve seen and heard from MFP friends and others indicates that by going under your goal by 2 to 3 lbs gives you that buffer or safety net for fluctuation in weight… and then go to maintenance… I’m yet to get there and have no reason to think it’s not doable… I think you do need to look at yourself in the mirror ( are you happy with what you see, but dont be too critical) and listen to what your body is telling you (illness, health issues, fatigue etc) before going full out on any unrealistic goal setting, too much unseen damage can be caused if you get it wrong….
  • yaseyuku
    yaseyuku Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I just hit my goal and am wondering that myself. I'm still eating at a deficit as I want to lower my body fat percentage a bit, so I assume I'll lose a bit more and then perhaps try a small bulk to gain muscle. It depends on what your goal weight is and the healthy range for your height though
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I picked a number but I understand that it's just a range that will fluctuate. I am happy with how my clothes fit right now. So seeing the last 3 pounds come off doesn't really matter.
  • summer8it
    summer8it Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I wound up under my original goal weight. 108 was my goal, but it took me a while to find the right maintenance calorie level, so I wound up losing all the way down to 100... and I liked it! I've been maintaining around 102 for over a year now. (My weight fluctuates between 100-104 based on hydration, etc., but I don't want to see numbers above 104 or below 100.)
  • KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    My goal weight is about 120-125 pounds, and I'm planning on initially getting down to 115-120 then building muscle.
  • asaunders0923
    Options
    I wound up under my original goal weight. 108 was my goal, but it took me a while to find the right maintenance calorie level, so I wound up losing all the way down to 100... and I liked it! I've been maintaining around 102 for over a year now. (My weight fluctuates between 100-104 based on hydration, etc., but I don't want to see numbers above 104 or below 100.)

How tall are you? I'm 5'1" and my goal weight has always been 108, but I CANNOT get below 113! I eat basically low carb and gluten free, so my eating is on point and I workout 6 days a week. I just wonder if my goal weight is too low, but if you can maintain 102 why can't I!!?? lol... share your diet and exercise if you don't mind!?
  • MUALaurenClark
    MUALaurenClark Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    IMO...pay less attention to the numbers on the scale at this point, and more attention to how strong you are and how well you can do things. I used to care so much about the number on my scale...now all I care about is being stronger. Which means I gain weight (in muscle)...and I'm totally ok with that because it means I'm super bad *kitten*
  • summer8it
    summer8it Posts: 433 Member
    Options

How tall are you? I'm 5'1" and my goal weight has always been 108, but I CANNOT get below 113! I eat basically low carb and gluten free, so my eating is on point and I workout 6 days a week. I just wonder if my goal weight is too low, but if you can maintain 102 why can't I!!?? lol... share your diet and exercise if you don't mind!?

I'm 5'2.5" - that half-inch really matters, as I'm sure you understand! - but I have a very small frame. It also took me AGES to lose weight, which is pretty common for small women. Getting from 115 to 100 took more than a year of eating at a deficit.

I'm using a TDEE method of calorie counting for maintenance, with a daily goal of 1750 calories, but I don't subtract out/eat back exercise calories. I lift weights three times a week (currently following New Rules of Lifting for Life) and do hoop dance, but no other cardio. My diary is open to friends, so please feel free to send me a request!
  • asaunders0923
    Options

I'm 5'2.5" - that half-inch really matters, as I'm sure you understand! - but I have a very small frame. It also took me AGES to lose weight, which is pretty common for small women. Getting from 115 to 100 took more than a year of eating at a deficit.

I'm using a TDEE method of calorie counting for maintenance, with a daily goal of 1750 calories, but I don't subtract out/eat back exercise calories. I lift weights three times a week (currently following New Rules of Lifting for Life) and do hoop dance, but no other cardio. My diary is open to friends, so please feel free to send me a request!

Great! Thanks for the info! I do cardio about 4 days a week (used to be 6) and started weight training, which has helped me go down in inches and weight actually. I do not count my exercise into my calories either... but I think I eat about 1500 a day.
  • ekaustin7
    ekaustin7 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Your body tends to store about 5 lbs of glycogen (the storage form of glucose) in your liver. When you are eating at a calorie deficit, your body uses this glycogen to make up for that deficit until it is depleted (this is why you lose a few pounds very quickly when beginning a calorie restricted diet). Once depleted, your body will dig into its fat stores to make up for this deficit (i.e. fat/weight loss). When you go back to maintenance, your body will immediately try to replenish glycogen stores in your liver (about 5 pounds worth) - you want this to happen slowly so that you do not immediately "gain" 5 pounds when your glycogen stores are replenished and then some additional in water weight. That being said, you should set your weight loss goal to be about 5 pounds below your goal weight, so that when you increase to maintenance calories, the additional 5 pounds in glycogen will put you at your goal weight.

When I hit my goal weight, I slowly increased my calories (about 100 a month until I hit the maintenance number). This was probably a bit too slow as I continued to lose weight and lost an additional 4 pounds. Once you get to 5 lbs below your goal weight, increase your calories by about 100 a week until you hit your magic number. That way your body will have time to adapt to the change, and you won't go into a tizzy thinking you overate enough to gain 5 pounds in a matter of days.
  • ladylemoncurd
    Options
    My goal is 10.4 and that's what I stay at. If I go up a pound or so I cut down again until it's off. But the 2 weeks before I go on holiday, I cut down a bit more and drop a couple of llbs so I can have a bit of a blow out !