Fight through the sore or wait?

Options
Monday was my last weight training day and I'm still really sore. Long story short, my routine was interrupted by crying baby and in a rush, I tried rushing 115 lb deadlift (really stupid). I ended up knocking the bar into my knees and probably had some pretty terrible form. Lesson learned, however... My shoulders and wrists are pretty sore and standing and walking I can still feel pretty bad in my lower back. Some sharpish pain but not crippling. I realize sharp is bad. Ugh. I wanted to start up 5/3/1 but with how crazy sore I am I was thinking of waiting until Friday, maybe? I plan on doing 4 days a week of that routine, as I was already lifting 3-4 days a week as is without any real routine other than "Hang out in my garage and lift heavy things". Thank you for any advice!

Replies

• ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    If it was just good old fashioned doms then is say work through and by the time you hit your second set you won't even notice. However if its a sharp pain and pain at a joint such as a wrist then that would be a no go for me because that is something else. Better not to chance it and possibly put yourself out of the game for months due to injury. Find something else to do for a few days.
  • jim9097
    jim9097 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Absolutely, let it go. The movement will help stretch you back out and you will feel better about it after you get started.
  • BEEUK
    BEEUK Posts: 113
    Options
    If it was just good old fashioned doms then is say work through and by the time you hit your second set you won't even notice. However if its a sharp pain and pain at a joint such as a wrist then that would be a no go for me because that is something else. Better not to chance it and possibly put yourself out of the game for months due to injury. Find something else to do for a few days.

Exactly this, DOMS is good pain and actually eases with repetition of tearing the same tissues. Pain around a joint could be muscle or tendon strain and this needs to rest and heal completely before attempting further training.

One way to tell, could you do a full push up on it? If not, then rest. Its not a race, better to do it properly with right form instead of injuring yourself seriously. Some strains can take months to heal up, and very bad ones can cause lifetime issues.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    Thank you for advice. I think I'm going to hold off. Still getting some sharp pains, not just that sore feeling from worked muscles. I intend to start 5/3/1 and stick it out 4 days a week, so I figure I want to be at my best. Next time, no compromising form! D:
  • TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    Options

Couldn't have said it better myself. Exactly right. Nicely done!