How in the world to stay under Sodium goal?

Options
I am trying to focus more on staying under all of my macros including sodium (I've never had success with this before). I was wondering if anyone has a diary open that I could get some ideas from or maybe someone can list some low sodium meal or food ideas.

Things I have already done...

-switched from canned goods to frozen veggies (canned tastes soooo much better)
-cooking meat and not using salt but Mrs. Dash seasonings
-trying to eat more fruits/veggies for snacks that are fresh rather than pre packaged snacks (but it's costing a lot more money)

i'm still going about 1000 over each day even with these new changes. Any of your ideas would be awesome. How do you keep your sodium low?

Replies

• Goldie2u2
    Goldie2u2 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I struggle with the same problem..I can see a lot of my sodium comes from prepackaged items or sliced meats or soups..really only low sodium stuff is not processed. I am eager as well for any tips...I did see a post a while back from a 100+ lb loser who said they never worried about it (providing there was no underlying health problem!) that they consistently were over and never had an issue losing. Of course-they stressed drinking lots of water as well.

As a side note..it's funny you prefer canned...I think they are mushy and all taste the same! I guess it's what you got used to growing up! LOL!
  • EllenKay63
    EllenKay63 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problem and made the same changes. I was surprise how drinking a couple of glasses of skim milk with my meal raised my sugar intake.

No advise, but you're not the only one.:smile:
  • Vain_Witch
    Vain_Witch Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Are you eating out a lot? This always affects my sodium levels DRASTICALLY.
  • Goldie2u2
    Goldie2u2 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Opps...forgot to state..the 100+ lb loser focused on staying at or slightly under their calorie goal only...calories in vs calories out is where it is at!
  • jmcreynolds91
    jmcreynolds91 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I eat mostly fresh veggies and fruits with only a couple things prepackaged and am mostly under sodium goal. I also don't add any salty seasoning when cooking either. Its hard but you will get it down. And also drink a ton of water will help counteract that salt.
  • amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's a huge deal unless you have health conditions. Diabetes runs in my family, so I always try to watch my sodium, but even still.. if I go over by 500-1000mg / day I just make sure that I drink enough water.
  • cjhex
    cjhex Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've ever exceeded my sodium intake (though I often exceed the sugar). I didn't realise this was unusual as I have nobody elses diary to compare to.
    I would suggest trying to identify specific foods that register a high sodium content (weightwatchers - chicken noodle soup hits 700 straight away) and seeing if there is an alternative.

All in all though, I don't worry to much about watching my breakdowns. Maybe as I get close to my target weight I'll worry more then but for now, I know I'm eating healthier than I have for years and that's good news ;-)
  • FitFabStar
    FitFabStar Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I don't have a health problem with sodium or high blood pressure but it runs in my family. I did see a dietician/nutritionalist who swears a lot of my weight is probably water weight and i can get rid of it by limiting my sodium which she's probably right.

is it true if we drink more water then sodium does not really matter as much? anyone heard that?

I don't eat out a lot. I steer clear from fast foods b/c they are so good and addicting buttttt I do eat lots of lunch meat on my salads and salad dressings, etc. which kills my sodium. ugh
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Most of the high sodium food we eat are packaged. And that is why you think canned veggies taste better than frozen! They added a bunch of salt! Believe me that you adapt. If you are adding your own salt, at least you can start adjusting downwards - and slowly if you need to. I also am a pretty avid label reader of the packaged foods I do buy and you would a) be shocked how much sodium is in items that you would not guess it was in - canned beans and canned tomato? Chicken broth? b) how much it varies from brand to brand. And, yes restaurant food is the worse. I almost always notice the difference when I eat out because I rarely add salt to anything at home.

Unless you have a health condition, a low sodium diet isn't necessary. I don't track mine personally, but am aware of it as it is part of my overall health goals. Hate that bloat...

Edit: Drinking water helps to not retain water. Supposedly.
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    well, i can't see what you ARE eating, but i can tell you that if you eat foods as close to their natural state as possible (e.g., fresh not canned, home made not take out, 'clean' spices not soup mixes etc), then you will be ok on the sodium levels. Also try to stay away from sodas, and stick to water as much as you can.

Just look at the food data base and compare the sodium amounts in fresh items (eg., chicken, spices, fresh vegetables) and in a finished dish (eg., some kind of mexican dish from TB or Chipotle)
  • elsyoommen
    elsyoommen Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    sodium is not a huge issue for me, but I do monitor it. I can't see your diary, but the items that usually have high sodium in mine are anything processed, including luncheon meats, smoked salmon and most cheeses. So I take that into account when choosing my food.

If you eat cottage cheese try switching to greek yogurt. If you eat luncheon meat, try roasting your own meat such as chicken and using that meat for your sandwich. This should be cheaper in the long run compared to buying processed meet. Buy unsalted nuts, low sodium or no sodium broth for cooking - even if you end up adding a little salt to your meal it will almost certainly be less than whatever would be in there if you used processed food. I'm not sure why you say eating fresh fruits and veg is more expensive than pre-packaged. I find that I save money when I avoid processed foods and cook instead. I can buy a week's worth of celery and carrots for under $5

also you might be getting sodium in your condiments or in your sodas. You can get sodium free sodas (at least in Canada the president's choice label has come out with a good selection which I use if I need something fizzy)
  • casmithis
    casmithis Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I had to cut out salt because of severe high blood pressure. I went on the DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension). I started reading labels on everything I bought (or ended up not buying because of sodium level). It shocked me to see how much sodium was in some food. I basically went to clean eating, all raw food and if I cooked anything no sauces or spices added. Boring but my blood pressure has come down to a level that's manageable by medication. when I have to go to restaurants I get salad with chicken breast. No dressing. prepared dressings are a killer for salt. I make my own.

Good luck.
  • baiye1
    baiye1 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    My diary is open to friends, so you could add me. I actually have my sodium macro set to 2000. I don't have issues (yet) but like you, I have family history. I generally manage to stay within my sodium macro, or at least under 2500, but I don't eat a lot of processed foods, deli meat, prepackaged meals, canned anything unless it's low sodium on the label, pastas, breads. I eat a LOT of veggies (fresh and frozen), some fruit, and lean meats. When I go over sodium, it's because I've ate out usually. And, surprisingly, one of the best fast food restaurants to eat at, if you have to, is McDonald's! Subway, as well, can help you stay within most of your macros as long as you choose the lower sodium options.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I go over most days, but it doesn't seem to affect me that much (except that time I had 5200mg of sodium and went over my calories, lol). It's tough. You pretty much have to cook everything from scratch to stay under, and for me sometimes the convenience is just hard to give up (like soups. Filling and low calorie but I'm clueless on how to make my own, and frankly don't really want to bother and we don't have a good blender anyway).
  • elisabeisme
    elisabeisme Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I would identify the largest sodium drivers in your diet and try to find alternatives for those.

For salad dressing, try cutting it half and half with other stuff like olive oil, balsamic, juice, lemon, or milk (depending on the flavor). I also add green onion, celery, parsley or other herbs to my salad because those help "spice" up the taste of the greens so that I can use less dressing.

For the lunch meats, you probably need to swap some out for home cooked meats. I poach/sauté a family pack of chicken and then keep it in the fridge using it in sandwich wraps for a couple days instead of lunch meat.

To reduce the salt in your cooking without feeling like your food is bland, double the other spices in any recipe.

Good salt substitutes for cooking:
    Lemon
    Pepper
    Onion
    Garlic
    cayenne
    balsamic
    mustard
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    The biggest thing you can do to reduce sodium is cook most of your food from scratch. Restaurants, fast food, prepackaged meals or foods, are often loaded with sodium.

Meals made from whole natural ingredients have all the sodium your body needs. There really is no need to add salt. Mrs. Dash and similar salt free seasonings are great. Fresh herbs can add lots of flavor and nutrients so that you don't miss the salt in food.

You are probably getting lots of replies saying you don't need to worry about sodium, and that may be true for some, especially the young or those that sweat a lot through heavy exercise. But for many people, sodium is very important.

Here is are a couple of good articles on sodium, if you are interested:
    http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/salt-and-sodium/
    http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/salt-and-sodium/take-action-on-salt/
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I don't track sodium because I have no medical reason to be concerned with it. I don't even like salty foods that much. When I look at my reports, my sodium intake fluctuates a lot. For packaged goods, always look for "no salt added" if available and look at the nutrition facts label to compare sodium amounts. I always try and buy what has less sodium. If you need your food to be salty, a fresh dash of sea salt goes a long way! Also avoid eating frozen meals because they're loaded with sodium, especially if they don't have preservatives. I also notice that my sodium intake gets out of control when I eat out. Focus on whole foods and cook your own food.
  • ThriceBlessed
    ThriceBlessed Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I am usually over as well. I like to have cottage cheese and fruit for breakfast. Its great in that it starts me off with 30 grams of protein for 1 cup of cottage cheese... but its frustrating that it also 925 grams of sodium. Then, if the hubby and kids are eating something doesn't fit my plans, I eat a "Healthy Choice" frozen meal... again, super high in sodium.

Other than those things I eat mostly homemade food, I don't add salt while cooking or to my own dish before eating. I usually eat chicken breast and frozen veggies...

Yet I am still usually over.

Now I don't worry about it too much, as long as its not ridiculously over, and I watch more carefully the day before my weigh in. On that day I'll have eggs instead of cottage cheese, and really try to avoid the frozen dinner.
  • FitFabStar
    Options
    I am usually over as well. I like to have cottage cheese and fruit for breakfast. Its great in that it starts me off with 30 grams of protein for 1 cup of cottage cheese... but its frustrating that it also 925 grams of sodium. Then, if the hubby and kids are eating something doesn't fit my plans, I eat a "Healthy Choice" frozen meal... again, super high in sodium.

Other than those things I eat mostly homemade food, I don't add salt while cooking or to my own dish before eating. I usually eat chicken breast and frozen veggies...

Yet I am still usually over.

Now I don't worry about it too much, as long as its not ridiculously over, and I watch more carefully the day before my weigh in. On that day I'll have eggs instead of cottage cheese, and really try to avoid the frozen dinner.

I eat cottage cheese daily b/c it fills me up and that is one of the reasons my sodium goes crazy LOL
  • FitFabStar
    Options
    I would identify the largest sodium drivers in your diet and try to find alternatives for those.

For salad dressing, try cutting it half and half with other stuff like olive oil, balsamic, juice, lemon, or milk (depending on the flavor). I also add green onion, celery, parsley or other herbs to my salad because those help "spice" up the taste of the greens so that I can use less dressing.

For the lunch meats, you probably need to swap some out for home cooked meats. I poach/sauté a family pack of chicken and then keep it in the fridge using it in sandwich wraps for a couple days instead of lunch meat.

To reduce the salt in your cooking without feeling like your food is bland, double the other spices in any recipe.

Good salt substitutes for cooking:
    Lemon
    Pepper
    Onion
    Garlic
    cayenne
    balsamic
    mustard

Thank you!!!!