To the people who lift - any tips for a beginner?

Options
Hey everyone!

After perusing the threads of MFP I was thinking incorporating strength training more heavily into my workouts, however I don't really know how or where to start having been a cardio addict most of my workout life. Through Insanity I've managed to lose weight and inches and am only one inch away from my waist goal and thought it's about time to ditch the cardio and start lifting to burn the fat off my tummy and waist.

I've heard things about not isolating muscles etc. but does anyone know where I can find a good programme or find a resource that lists guidelines on how to go about setting up a strength training workout... Never done sets/reps etc. before and my only experience in something similar was the one off body pump class haha.

Thanks!

Replies

• salsacatblue
    Options
    This seems really popular.

http://www.amazon.com/The-New-Rules-Lifting-Women/dp/1583333398

I am pretty new to lifting as well. I have been using a proglam from another book called "womens health big book of excercises" for this month but thinking that I want to step it up with former book. Though it is intimidating to go into a weights area of gym at first..
    I have never set my foot in that area before, it was always cardio that I did.
  • ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    It's great to hear. It sounds like with the dedication you've shown thus far, you will find success in incorporating weight training to your fitness lifestyle. If you have access to a gym, consider a personal trainer to help show you some of the basic lifts with free weights (squat, deadlift, bench press, overhead press). If that's not an option, then there are some good online resources as well.

Just to add to what salsabluecat said ... along with "The New Rules of Lifting For Women," there's a group here on MFP that have a lot of good links/threads with information: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/102-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w
    I mention this group, because I think it might be helpful to interact with those who are also lifting, and that can provide advice and information.

Good luck to you! Remember to take progress pictures every few weeks. The changes can be subtle without them, and it can be really self-motivating.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    New Rules of Lifting is pretty popular. There's also Strong Lifts, Starting Strength, and Strong Curves. (If you can borrow them, it might be nice to look through each before purchasing any, and find the one that suits you best).

I also agree that working with a trainer might be helpful. Just make sure you get one who knows you want to lift mostly free weights, and not someone who is going to steer you to the machines (or back to the cardio). If a trainer isn't an option, YouTube can be a pretty good resource to see correct form; you do have to be kind of discerning, because there's junk there just like anywhere else. You can also google specific lifts to get diagrams (and probably get programs online without paying anything, too).

Start with lighter weights. It's always possible to add more weight if it's not heavy enough, but it's really bad to injure yourself by trying to lift something too heavy. For things like squats and deadlifts, get the form down first with no weight, it's really important. Then, start with the bar alone (45 pounds) or even lighter if you want. Add weight until you feel some resistance. It may take a few sessions to find the weight you should be lifting right now, and that's okay.

Have fun with it! And if you like any type of cardio (running, swimming, Zumba, whatever), don't cut it out completely. Cardio and lifting aren't two opposing poles, they can complement each other. You can lift every other day with cardio in between if you want to, making sure to have one full rest day a week. Or, if you hate cardio in every form, then don't force yourself to do it :laugh:
  • sperocras
    sperocras Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I too bought the New Rules of Lifting for Women - I started their Stage 1 program on Friday, so I've done three workouts so far. It's completely awesome so far. The first day totally kicked my butt but I still went back for more. Before starting this, I was doing a mix of cardio for warm up and body weight training. I still do a bit of cardio to warm up, but I spend an equal amount of time in the weight room. I'm really enjoying it and even though I'm only three workouts into it, I would recommend the book.
  • sperocras
    sperocras Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Start with lighter weights. It's always possible to add more weight if it's not heavy enough, but it's really bad to injure yourself by trying to lift something too heavy. For things like squats and deadlifts, get the form down first with no weight, it's really important. Then, start with the bar alone (45 pounds) or even lighter if you want. Add weight until you feel some resistance. It may take a few sessions to find the weight you should be lifting right now, and that's okay.

Yes, this is very important. In fact, I'd suggest starting any strength training routine with just your body weight. There are some online that are available. The two that pop into my head first are from NerdFitness:

Beginner: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/
    Advanced: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/17/advanced-body-weight-workout-warning-this-will-kick-your-*kitten*/
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    I started with and continue to LOVE Stronglifts 5X5. It's simple and easy to understand. You can google it too and see if it's what you're looking for.

Here are a few groups that can help you get started and answer questions too:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women

Best of Luck!
  • thatjulesgirl
    thatjulesgirl Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I started New Rules of Lifting For Women (NROLFW) as a *complete* novice, lard-*kitten* just over a year ago and I cannot recommend it highly enough.

Biggest tips:
    - Form, form, form, form, form. Get it right when you start so you never develop bad habits (and hurt yourself). Watch loads of youtube videos and perhaps even spring for an hour with a PT, focusing on showing you the *proper* way to lift super heavy things.
    - Start light with high reps but increase your weight a *little* faster than you think. The first three times you go the next day you'll feel like your limbs are going to fall off - within three weeks you'll probably have doubled your original weight. Basically, push yourself but NEVER rep past the point where your muscles turn to jelly.
    - Get in the kitchen. If you're on MFP, chances are you're mindful of your food anyway, but you need to be making sure that if you're lifting you're having lots of protein, drinking lots of water and nutritionally supporting your muscle mass.
    - Warm up & stretch. Seriously... this sounds so basic, but you *do not* want to experience what happens when you don't. Ow.
    - Don't be afraid to TRY. There are lots of exercises in NROLFW that when I first started I *literally* laughed out loud reading. At 130+kgs, the idea of me doing a lot of them seemed GENUINELY ludicrous... but you'll be surprised how capable you are (again, form, form, form).
    - Lastly... if you try it a few times and decide you're going to stick with it, I highly recommend investing in lifting gloves (they've saved me from oh-so-many palm calouses).

Good luck! Hope you get as much awesome "I'm so kickass" fun out of it as I do! :happy:
  • peachcats
    Options
    get a PT

Everyone seems to hate on them for some reason, but there's no way you'll learn proper form without one if you're completely green.
    Make sure it's a PT that actually wants to help you learn the exercises instead of putting you on a dumb routine they made though.
  • thatjulesgirl
    thatjulesgirl Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    get a PT

Everyone seems to hate on them for some reason, but there's no way you'll learn proper form without one if you're completely green.
    Make sure it's a PT that actually wants to help you learn the exercises instead of putting you on a dumb routine they made though.

Preach!
    RP4eyHa.gif
  • running_shoe
    running_shoe Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I'm in stage 2 of NROL4W and I think it's a great program. Would definitely recommend getting the book. I don't find that I needed a PT to show me how, as the instructions are so very clear and there are photos. Do your early lifts with totally managable weight and use a mirror and the instructions. DO get your form right. Lifting is totally the way to go. Good luck.
  • velvoid
    velvoid Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Beginner lifters (anyone training consistantly for less than 3 months) should avoid isolation exercises (ie working one muscle) and stick to compound exercises which focus on larger muscle groups. with compound exercises you gain propotionate strength throughout the muscle groups. If you feel any perticular muscle is lacking (ie biceps) later on you can focus on isolation exercises. A fantastic program which I started on involves really simple exercises and can seem too minimal to most but is perfect for beginners and is as follows;

Workout days Monday/Wednesday/Friday

Workout A

Flat Bench press 3 sets 10 reps

Rows (seated/machine/cable any are good) 3 sets 10 reps

Squat 3 sets 10 reps

Workout B

Lat Pull down 3 Sets 10 reps

Shoulder Press 3 Sets 10 reps

Deadlift 3 Sets 10 reps

week one

Monday - workout A

Wednesday - workout B

Friday - workout A

week two

Monday - workout B

Wednesday - workout A

Friday - workout B

Seems simple and it is. The key is to start light and learn perfect form. Once you have got the technique down then start lifting heavier. Make sure the weight is enough so you can just complete the tenth rep on your last set. Rest for 90 seconds between sets.

Do this religiously for 3 months and I guarantee you will see and feel results!
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I started with and continue to LOVE Stronglifts 5X5. It's simple and easy to understand. You can google it too and see if it's what you're looking for.

Here are a few groups that can help you get started and answer questions too:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women

Best of Luck!

Yes, this.

A simple but effective program, you'll be surprised how quickly your strength grows....even more surprised at how your body responds, nothing shapes the body like lifting does
  • fitspo145
    Options
    Wow thanks a lot guys! :smile: I'll look into all those resources and will update on my progress.

What do you guys think of body pump? I do of course want to lift independently but after working out mainly in isolation for the past 2 months with Insanity, I feel like doing at least 1 group class a week.

As for the posters who gave advice on nutrition: I set my goal protein intake to 30% of my diet. Too little or too much? Haha I'm not entirely sure but it was a default given to me by the TDEE calculator I used.

And yay so psyched to start lifting! :happy:
  • Tribesmama
    Options
    Im in the same boat as yourself, my brother has a weight set that he is going to set up for me in the shed lol. Just wish he would get his finger out. Im looking to get new rules for women hopefully help my dumb *kitten* lol
  • esunlin
    esunlin Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Several years ago, I lost over 100 pounds by weight lifting (I'm so NOT a runner!). The NROLFW is the same author I went with. They (the Cosgroves) do an awesome job of breaking everything down.

Currently, I eat about 75-80% Paleo (an easy way of saying I cut a lot of carbs out haha), and train several times a week. I can deadlift 225 pounds, KB swing 70, and working on my push up count. ;)

The biggest thing that women think is that they will get bulky. The ONLY thing that's grown is my booty, and considering I had NONE to start with, I love it!
  • velvoid
    velvoid Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I aim for around 1.5gm to 2 gm of protein per kilo of my IDEAL weight. At the moment my ideal weight is 90kg so I try to get 145gm to 180gm protein. It seems a lot but is easy to achieve with lean meats, lots of chicken and egg whites lol.
  • TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    There are 3 "parts" to successful weightlifting: Exercise, Diet and Recovery

Most people go into it thinking Exercise is the 800lb gorilla. But after decades of doing this, trust me, diet is the key. And getting proper rest is as equal to exercise.
  • fitspo145
    Options
    Several years ago, I lost over 100 pounds by weight lifting (I'm so NOT a runner!). The NROLFW is the same author I went with. They (the Cosgroves) do an awesome job of breaking everything down.

Currently, I eat about 75-80% Paleo (an easy way of saying I cut a lot of carbs out haha), and train several times a week. I can deadlift 225 pounds, KB swing 70, and working on my push up count. ;)

The biggest thing that women think is that they will get bulky. The ONLY thing that's grown is my booty, and considering I had NONE to start with, I love it!

Awesome! Great results! I can't wait to start. I've decided to invest in NROLFW since the majority of the posters have sung its praises and there must be a reason for that right? ;)

I also joined a gym and will get a PT session just to ensure my form is correct etc. And as for diet.. I know abs are made in the kitchen and the middle area is my biggest pet peeve, so would paleo be the way to go? I am a little shaky on cutting out carbs completely mainly because I adore cardio and would still do it on a regular basis alongside lifting.
  • fitspo145
    Options
    Im in the same boat as yourself, my brother has a weight set that he is going to set up for me in the shed lol. Just wish he would get his finger out. Im looking to get new rules for women hopefully help my dumb *kitten* lol

Haha it's great you have someone supporting you and congrats on deciding to start lifting as well. It's an exciting time isn't it? :tongue:
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone!

After perusing the threads of MFP I was thinking incorporating strength training more heavily into my workouts, however I don't really know how or where to start having been a cardio addict most of my workout life. Through Insanity I've managed to lose weight and inches and am only one inch away from my waist goal and thought it's about time to ditch the cardio and start lifting to burn the fat off my tummy and waist.

I've heard things about not isolating muscles etc. but does anyone know where I can find a good programme or find a resource that lists guidelines on how to go about setting up a strength training workout... Never done sets/reps etc. before and my only experience in something similar was the one off body pump class haha.

Thanks!

Buy starting strength.

Even if you choose to do another programme instead of the one outlined in the book you'll want to know the mechanics and form of the major compound lifts.

The only way to actually learn is then to get under a bar and start lifting. That's the step that people find hard to take.

Remember: all the research and reading in the world doesn't actually beat doing.