Okay, ranbdom question. I don't understand ...

Options
13»

Replies

• tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    How much weight are we talking, honestly the answer has to be the scale.

how long have you done and recorded this for? 1 day, 1 week, 1 month, a year? chances are if you do this long enough you should get an average that is the same between the 3 hours.

your mass didn't change

Two days ago, the difference between the 2 times was +0.8
    Yesterday the difference was +1.0
    My friend's difference was +0.3 (different person, different house, different scale.)
    Today, I only waited 1 hr. I always eat breakfast with my daughter when she wakes up, I usually get up 2-3 hrs before her, today I only got up an hour before. Anyways, I did it again today and in 1 hr I am down. -1.0lbs
  • tiggerhammon
    Options
    did you move the scale? is it in the EXACT same place you first weighed yourself? If not then that is the reason why, I make sure to weight myself 3 times in a row right after the other and if they are 100% the same then I know I really did lose weight or gained it :).

Also body fluctuates 3-5lbs. So yes it indeed can do that even after 2-3 hours. have to also figure you would have waste in your intestine and or you are growing a baby so could be increase like someone said in your hormones.

Same place.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other poster …

Scales are out to get us by playing mind games and making us nuts! :devil: :laugh:

I think this is an interesting question, though. My thought is probably that the scale isn't especially reliable (which is different than not being accurate, lol)
  • tiggerhammon
    Options
    O.o Why are you going 2 to 3 hours after waking up without drinking any water? I'd seriously pass out...

True! Drink water lady :-) there's a baby to take care of. We pregnant women are building blood.

Like I just stated a moment ago, I have to wake up by a certain time every day to call in and report for work. I have to be awake but don't necessarily have to do be doing anything. Because for some days, like just the first 6hrs of today, my job is to answer all phone calls and emails. I wake up very early, call and check in and they transfer calls to my phone. I wait until my daughter wakes up to eat, which is generally 2-3 hours. It's not like I am up, running around, going for a run or even getting dressed necessarily. I lounge in my bed, sit on the couch, play a game or fiddle on here unless the phone rings, then I am talking. Most exhaustive thing is having to get up and move across the room to the computer to access something, if necessary. I usually do drink water but for this test, I didn't.
    Now, once my daughter is awake, I am eating nonstop the rest of the day. Shortly after she leaves for school, I leave for my next job, then next, and next, etc... The day gets busier. But, in the first few hrs of the morning I am doing basically nothing.
    I have plenty of time to be 'curious' about random things like this early in the morning. It's my time wasting part of the day. The rest of the day I am too busy to think about extra jobs or hobbies.
  • mrsz917
    mrsz917 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Gravity. Google search it, pretty interesting. That's why they say to weigh yoursself first thing in the morning
  • flywithgeorge
    flywithgeorge Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    bump
  • rosemary98
    Options
    I am also weird, but I am a knitting maniac. If knitting made one lose weight I wouldn't be seen with the naked eye.

Here is my weirdness- everybody says weigh first thing in the morning, after bathroom business, on the same scale. That's what I do. Then I get going, get dressed, have a drink, maybe eat, and wait an hour or two. Step on the scale again- I've dropped almost a pound.

My theory is that the scale likes screwing with one's head. Every.chance.it.gets.

agreed. i can weigh myself with a tank top and undies...strip down and weigh a pound less. i don't think so. my tank top and undies don't weigh a pound.

To OP: i know that isn't an answer to your question. it seems like the reading would be consistent if you didn't eat or drink anything. it is an interesting question.
  • LiminalAscendance
    LiminalAscendance Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I don't normally get the fascination with topical gifs, but this thread is the PERFECT place for them (I am providing none, however).
  • seabee78
    seabee78 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I have a medical scale (the one like in your doctor's office). It's accurate.

If I weigh first thing in the morning, I am 1-1.5kg lighter than I was before I went to bed. No wonder everybody says to weigh in first thing in morning...you're lightest then.
  • Swiftdogs
    Swiftdogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Scales vary, and tend to have a memory. Try this trick: step on the scale and let it settle. Step off and let it zero. Pick up a small weight and repeat. THEN step back on and take that weight.
  • tiggerhammon
    Options
    I think that we have concluded for sure that it is just a scale inaccuracy.
    I see absolutely no way for it to be possible to gain without eating or drinking unless you took a shower in between.
  • BajaDreamin333
    BajaDreamin333 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    You totally made my day by showing me there are other people out there who obsess over random factoids. I really admire your need to know! It's weirdos like you and me that make this world interesting. Who cares, some may say. I think it's a good question.

Here's my theory. I know when my muscles are active, my body temp goes up and I get cold easier (for instance, the whole day after a weight training session, I'm freezing). Therefore, perhaps as your muscles warm up and are used for things other than laying in bed (like stepping on and off the scale for instance) the blood flow heads to your muscles, filling them up, causing you to weigh more. Just a theory. But muscle weighs more than fat, and muscles full of blood weigh more than not, so in a strange way it makes sense.
  • tiggerhammon
    Options
    You totally made my day by showing me there are other people out there who obsess over random factoids. I really admire your need to know! It's weirdos like you and me that make this world interesting. Who cares, some may say. I think it's a good question.

Here's my theory. I know when my muscles are active, my body temp goes up and I get cold easier (for instance, the whole day after a weight training session, I'm freezing). Therefore, perhaps as your muscles warm up and are used for things other than laying in bed (like stepping on and off the scale for instance) the blood flow heads to your muscles, filling them up, causing you to weigh more. Just a theory. But muscle weighs more than fat, and muscles full of blood weigh more than not, so in a strange way it makes sense.

Thanks. I like myself just the way I am and certainly do not care if people think I am weird.
    My best friend is ADHD, and I think she is the best person on earth for me because she highly fascinates me and I am always thoroughly entertained around her. I usually laugh at her but she loves me :) Also, every time I get one of my weird curious moments and have to understand how something works she plays along very nicely. Like, getting on the scale a couple times in one morning for me. I am happy being me and with the people that love me for me :)