Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Bullying? Really?

Replies

• Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    The B word strikes again!

It's football - the objective is to physically dominate your opponent.
  • kristen2713
    kristen2713 Posts: 253 Member
    I just saw this on my news thread...really?? These parents can't dedicate their time to something a little more important, or some REAL bullying that is certainly out there in their school? Yes, something maybe should have been done to help have a more even score, but this "every kid gets a trophy" type of thing and mentality is getting out of hand and making kids these days total wimps.
  • FitCanuckChick
    FitCanuckChick Posts: 240 Member
    Bubble wrap helicopter parenting run amuck. I bet she will call the boss after her sons first interview if he doesn't get the job.
  • apexgtp
    apexgtp Posts: 64 Member
    *EDIT* nm
  • FitCanuckChick
    I just saw this on my news thread...really?? These parents can't dedicate their time to something a little more important, or some REAL bullying that is certainly out there in their school? Yes, something maybe should have been done to help have a more even score, but this "every kid gets a trophy" type of thing and mentality is getting out of hand and making kids these days total wimps.

This

And, kids know - even at a young age if they have outplayed or been outplayed. My 5 year old mentally keeps score in her head in soccor and always knows if they win or loose (unless it is super close).
  • Bxrlvr73
    Bxrlvr73 Posts: 82 Member
    This is crazy! People need to understand that Good Sportsmanship also includes NOT being a sore loser! Ugh
  • kristen2713
    kristen2713 Posts: 253 Member
    This is crazy! People need to understand that Good Sportsmanship also includes NOT being a sore loser! Ugh

Yes! There's nothing wrong with teaching kids that it's not all about winning. I get that part of it...but they also need to teach them how to both WIN gracefully and LOSE gracefully!!
  • BigDaddyRonnie
    BigDaddyRonnie Posts: 506 Member
    This bullying label is going way too far.

As a coach, and parent, I sympathize with both the losing team AND the winning team.

The great late Joe Paterno was very much against this type of play, and scoring. I have read several news postings and not one mentions the use of subs, or under-classmen by the winning team.

Also, football is a two-way street where there is an offense AND a defense. It is possible the defense lay-down and permitted the scoring. A game lasts the entirety until the final buzzer sounds. All football players should be expected to play until the end. No matter what the score is. My guess is this is exactly what happened.

So their pride is hurt. A life lesson. Makes stronger people...

The only reason this story made the news this long is because someone used the word "BULLY"

Hey, maybe, just MAYBE, the team that lost is really that bad. Maybe they need to practice a little more.
    Heck, look at the Grambling players. They walked out because of program issues, not because they have lost 12 in a row, or something like that.

Football is about being a team. A true family, no matter what your record is. Once this happens and you divert your inadequacies to the other team, or refs, and the reason for losses is not on yourself, then you lose all purpose of the game.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    When I run a race, and I know I'm going slow, I wouldn't feel any better about myself if a fast runner stopped to let me catch up. That would be even MORE demoralizing.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,412 Member
    Continued wussification of American kids
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    I saw this on Good Morning America today. The winning team did put in second string players. And they still kept scoring.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    As long as the high-scoring team were gracious winners, there is no bullying in this. Sports is all about learning to win with grace and lose with you rhead held high because you tried your best.

I say lesson learned, not bullying. Life is not fair.
  • dswolverine
    dswolverine Posts: 246 Member
    I bet she will call the boss after her sons first interview if he doesn't get the job.

LOVE this hahahahaha
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Ridiculous. Perhaps the parents should be complaining about the obviously sub-standard football training in the region that has allowed one team to so thoroughly dominate.

But no. Why get better yourself when you can just penalize someone else for working harder? Much easier.
  • gabbygirl78
    gabbygirl78 Posts: 936 Member
    OMG :noway: How the freak is that bullying???? That's just good football son!!!! :drinker: :laugh:
  • BigDaddyRonnie
    BigDaddyRonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Oh all the comments I have read here, on yahoo, etc. no one supports the bullying charge and yet it continues to make news and puts the winning team in a bad light.

Yep, because of the liberal word use and definition of "BULLY"

It's bad...we are never going to get away from it. Just wait until the Olympics.
    "He/she bullied me, that's why I played bad and didn't win a medal." Yep, that comment while cynical now is not too far from the truth of what is out there.
  • FitCanuckChick
    Oh all the comments I have read here, on yahoo, etc. no one supports the bullying charge and yet it continues to make news and puts the winning team in a bad light.

Really - from all the news clips I saw this morning ( Im a channel flipper at the gym :) it seems the losing team and not the winning team is in the bad light.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    OMG :noway: How the freak is that bullying???? That's just good football son!!!! :drinker: :laugh:
    Not really. Sounds like a pretty boring game!

When I was a reporter, I had to cover a football game once for our vacationing sports guy. Our local team dominated the other team in much the same way and it was like watching paint dry. Ugh.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member

Really - from all the news clips I saw this morning ( Im a channel flipper at the gym :) it seems the losing team and not the winning team is in the bad light.

Which is just as bad, really. The parent has denied the team the opportunity to be graceful and dignified in defeat.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Continued wussification of American kids
    I, for one,will welcome our conquering overlords in the future...........cause you know this generation won't fight them off, they will expect our generation to do all the fighting while they practice fighting in video games:ohwell: