Logging Weight while in maintenance

Options
Do you actually log your weights while in maintenance?
I have just started maintaining. I have been the same weight for the last four weeks. Now I've dipped under by a couple of pounds. While losing, I always recorded a loss but not sure that I want to now. Yet it may help me be more accountable as I continue maintenance. I see so many posts, "I gained it all back.." I don't want to be there!
Just wondering what others are doing...

Replies

• aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I'm not in maintenance yet, but would love to hear what others do. So far I've logged my weight almost every single day since starting MFP whether it's up or down
  • atthebeach08
    atthebeach08 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Just keep recording your food and weight up and down results. It will keep you on track and you can go back and look and see why you went up or what you did to go down.:smile:
  • ladylemoncurd
    Options
    I write my weight down every morning - been maintaining about 9 months now and writing it down has shown me that my weight naturally fluctuates by about 5 lbs each month. I log it on here every month or so. For me, doing it this way has identified the fluctuations meaning that if I go up a couple of pounds I don't get disheartened and stuff my face as I have done before, as i know it will naturally come off in a week or so.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I haven't been logging as often while in maintenance. I check the scale at home daily, but don't record it. I only record weights on the nurse's digital scale, and have been going less frequently. My graph looks funny, because the weight fluctuates a little each time, so it kind of makes a zig-zagging graph. The average though is basically the same. If it fluctuates by 3 or more pounds, either way, I might need to log my calories for a bit to even it out.
  • sklebar
    sklebar Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I log and weigh myself every morning at the same time. I think this is a good thing if you're not a neurotic person about it. I found my weight fluctuates about 2 pounds. I just don't hold off doing it because I don't want to get on there in a month and think, crap! I need to panic. I just take it in stride that it's a natural part of taking care of yourself. So few people in the world really take good care of themselves, so I see maintaining as a way of keeping healthy.
  • kimmymayhall
    kimmymayhall Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I've been maintaining for several months and just checked in my weekly weight. I do it every week. sometimes it goes up a few pounds and sometimes it goes down. Those are normal fluctuations but I want to check on them so that I don't gain ten pounds without realizing somethings wrong.
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I weigh each morning, if I remember, realizing I might be up or down by 1-2 lbs. I just want to keep a handle on it this time so I don't regain a lot and give up again. I don't log it in, but I do write it down in a notebook just to see the pattern and be "aware". It also helps me be ok with going out for a nice meal, or indulging a bit when needed, because I know I'm keeping an eye on it this time.
  • potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I only log when I get concerned that I am not coping with the fluctuations as well as I should be. It's a constant battle to maintain and seeing that I need to lose a couple of pounds again on my ticker is another weapon in the battle.

It's all about accountability. You can't hide from your weight gain, best to confront it and deal.
  • allbarrett
    allbarrett Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I'm really close to maintenance (if I can lose another 1.5 pounds, great, but my body seems happy where it is...whatever) and have already gone down to logging roughly once a week. I feel better about it and don't worry quite so much about every little fluctuation. I plan on continuing logging like this pretty much permanently...gaining weight is slow and insidious and, frankly, with the way clothing sizes keep changing (and are inconsistent between brands), "how my clothes fit" simply isn't a good indicator of my weight/fitness. I have a Withings scale that does body fat % too, and while I don't believe the number absolutely, I do believe the trendline is probably accurate...so as long as that stays steady too, I figure I'm doing OK.
  • Amy_Andrews
    Options
    While in weight loss mode, I weighed and logged the weight weekly. Now in maintenance I weigh weekly but only record it once a month or so. I do see fluctuations of 1-3 pounds each week but have maintained a consistent weight. I still weigh regularly in part to keep myself in check, but also because I have friends & family of the "don't lose anymore weight" variety and by keeping track of my weight I can tell them that I'm not losing anymore. I also still do measurements once a month.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    I have been in maintenance 2 years. I still log my weight periodically and when it starts to creep up I start logging food again until I get back to where I should be
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I don't log any pounds gained or loss during maintenance because when I have a cheat day I gain a little but then I turn around and lose it back so I don't bother logging it. If you however keep losing I would log it because the less you weight the less your calorie burn will be.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I've been maintaining for almost two years. I only log my weight if it changes by more than a couple pounds. Also, I only weigh-in once a month.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    Every day, with a wifi scale and trendweight.com.
  • delong99
    delong99 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I don't on MFP - but I do enter my weight daily on my Happy Scale app.
  • JulieAnn72
    JulieAnn72 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I still log my weight on MFP every week, but I changed my settings so my friends don't see messages saying I lost weight, since I go up and down a bit most weeks.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I record new lows and also new inches lost (which is more important).

Most people regain. You need to know you will bounce within a zone, but be conscientious about staying in that zone.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    When I first hit maintenance, I logged daily to get a range for myself and figure out my TDEE. After that, maybe once every month. I'm currently doing a bulk cycle, so I'm weight weekly now.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I log every Friday. I'm allowing a 5 pound swing above or below my goal weight of 125.
  • TomZot
    TomZot Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Went to maintenance a while back. I still track everything, but weigh myself once per week.

My plan is to hold a 5 pound range around where I am now...155.