Who began to EAT MORE and lost weight ?

Options

Replies

• MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    sorry for the multiple posts...
    But one other thing.

If you are doing weight lifting, and you are starting to develop muscle.
    Your caloric needs go up.....
    LBM requires more calories than does fat.
  • rosemary98
    Options
    if i ate more would i lose weight?

also from the looks of things, you may not have much left to lose...
    except for LBM and you don't want that...

thank you for the explanation. i really don't have much to lose if any. i was thinking about eating more consistently--as in 1500 every day and more if i exercise. I get very hungry--especially in the evenings. I think for me, I would probably gain weight...as my body would be happy to see the increase...but maybe it would level out.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    if i ate more would i lose weight?

also from the looks of things, you may not have much left to lose...
    except for LBM and you don't want that...

thank you for the explanation. i really don't have much to lose if any. i was thinking about eating more consistently--as in 1500 every day and more if i exercise. I get very hungry--especially in the evenings. I think for me, I would probably gain weight...as my body would be happy to see the increase...but maybe it would level out.

Try this then.
    Start exercising ( I recommend weight lifting, but to each their own).....
    Up your caloric intake by about 200 calories......see where you are in 2 - 3 weeks.
    Make sure you are getting:
    0.8 - 1.0 gr/pound of body weight per day in protein
    0.4 - 0.5 gr/pound of body weight per day in fat.
    Then adjust your carbs to make up the rest of the calories.

See where you are at in 2 - 3 weeks.....
    And tweak things accordingly....
    If you need more calories, up the carbs.
    If you need less calories, lower the carbs.
  • loriq41
    loriq41 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I am on like week 5...lol..now THAT is a plateau!...I am gonna up my cals as although they are set to 1420...I rarely get to that and I do full body weights for 35 minutes 3 times per week and cardio for 45-60 min two times a week...I noticed that when I went over one day my weight did not move so I am thinking that is the culprit..but who knows with less than 15 lbs left to lose and the weight training I have been doing!
  • MityMax96
    Options
    I am on like week 5...lol..now THAT is a plateau!...I am gonna up my cals as although they are set to 1420...I rarely get to that and I do full body weights for 35 minutes 3 times per week and cardio for 45-60 min two times a week...I noticed that when I went over one day my weight did not move so I am thinking that is the culprit..but who knows with less than 15 lbs left to lose and the weight training I have been doing!

Try a day or two where you go over your calories......then back to your eating plan.
    See what happens.
    So for a 5 week period on a calorie restricted plan, you may need to do a "refeed" for a couple days.
  • HeyGoRun
    HeyGoRun Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Me after a month of up and stuck!
    Before 1200-1500 now 1400-1800<<working!
  • erulasse
    erulasse Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Trust me, that's not stuck...

I was 'stuck' for 3 MONTHS, even put my calories down further (1,000 calories) hoping for some loss, but nothing happened.

As soon as I went back up to 1,700... It started falling off again almost instantly!
    I know there's a biological reason behind it, but I don't understand, nor do I care... All I know is that 'cheating' will not help you here; eat enough calories, be patient and you'll do just fine :bigsmile:
  • wannabe2229
    Options
    I have read that if you eat more frequently you will lose. Not more food but smaller meals and snacks
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    I did.. I was VLCD for a long time.. started eating more and started losing.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    Trust me, that's not stuck...

I was 'stuck' for 3 MONTHS, even put my calories down further (1,000 calories) hoping for some loss, but nothing happened.

As soon as I went back up to 1,700... It started falling off again almost instantly!
    I know there's a biological reason behind it, but I don't understand, nor do I care... All I know is that 'cheating' will not help you here; eat enough calories, be patient and you'll do just fine :bigsmile:

hormones. :wink:

Do some reading on leptin.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    I have read that if you eat more frequently you will lose. Not more food but smaller meals and snacks

no truth to this.

Eat when you like.
    If that is 5 - 7 times a day, do it.
    If that is 3 meals a day, do that.

eating more frequently will keep your insulin levels up.....
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I was never at 1200 but hovered around 1400 for a bit. Yes I was losing but no energy. Upped myself to 1550 - 1600 and still losing.

And while it doesn't sound like much, it made a difference! Good luck :smile:
  • whitlisd
    Options
    This is a great read. I have been struggling with confusion over this too. I have a really hard time thinking that I should actually eat MORE when my weight is plateauing, but seeing all of these posts is very helpful to know that it works.

Thank you.
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Make sure when you increase your caloric intake, that you do it slowly.... You will gain weight, that is a given, you have been eating at 1200 calories for quite some time, so your body is going to see that as extra, HOWEVER, after 4-6 weeks (sometimes sooner, sometimes longer) it will even out and your body will start to work more efficiently.

Add weight training to your workouts as well, muscle burns energy faster than fat, so weight training is very good not only for losing but for shaping the body as well. Don't fear bulking, (many women stay away from weight training because they are afraid of getting bulky) in order to bulk up/become very muscular, you have to work VERY hard to do that.
  • rosemary98
    Options

Try a day or two where you go over your calories......then back to your eating plan.
    See what happens.
    So for a 5 week period on a calorie restricted plan, you may need to do a "refeed" for a couple days.

I actually had a 10 day period of eating above my plan (vacation)...my weight went up a bit...but not more than a pound. it may even level out as it is my TOM. so maybe i can eat more and not gain.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Now that I am almost at my goal weight I upped my calories a bit and am still losing weight (just not as quickly as at the beginning obviously).
  • MityMax96
    Options

See what happens.

I actually had a 10 day period of eating above my plan (vacation)...my weight went up a bit...but not more than a pound. it may even level out as it is my TOM. so maybe i can eat more and not gain.

most likely. :wink:

never know til you start trying and tracking.....
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    MFP had me at 1380 and I got "stuck" for two weeks a mere 3lbs above my goal, and I decided that wasn't enough calories for me. Bumped it up to 1557 per day and the last 3lbs came off in a couple of days. I know it was water weight and not fat, but the scale did move and that was encouraging.
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    The last two years I ate between 1200 and 1400 and lost 20-30 lbs.. but was always weak and had no energy. And, as soon as I "fell off the wagon" I would would eat a ridiculous amount for days and gain it all back and then some.

This time I started to really read the posts here, find out what TDEE meant. Find out what my BMR was and I eat between those two numbers every day. For the last 30 days I have consumed over 2000 calories per day and netted on average 1700-1800 calories per day.

I was at my lowest weight this year yesterday.