Running and Diet ?

Options
2»

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking that since you are training for a marathon you need to eat more than 1200 calories per day.

True.....I eat that for breakfast on my long run days.:happy:
  • boooie1
    boooie1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    You have all been great thank you, I am reading through the posts and taking on board the advice..I will follow mfp or I might end up confused on what im doing, ,so i will eat back alot of my calories burned and change my settings to lose a lb a week then as suggested drop it to 1/2...... :)
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    I wear a garmin but no hrm on it ,just my own settings etc entered into it...

Side note- I just want to point out most garmins that have the HRMs don't actually use those for the "calories" they report. Running is pretty straight forward, based on distance/pace and your weight. As long as you've correctly entered your weight into your Garmin settings, it should pop out a fairly accurate calorie burn for your run. There's a lot of online calculators you can check out too, and they should all be ballpark. Garmin almost exactly matches MFP on the weird days when I actually run one of the mph settings MFP has, but since I'm usually slower or somewhere inbetween, I just manually put in what my garmin says. An HRM is great for other reasons, but you don't need it for calorie burn. Good luck!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Here are the Garmin models and how they compute calorie burn.

This hasn't been updated with models past these, which all use HRM based, sometimes mixed with running pace/weight based, calculations.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2010/11/how-calorie-measurement-works-on-garmin.html

Running
    how-calorie-measurement-works-on-garmin-fitness-devices-3-thumb.png

Cycling
    how-calorie-measurement-works-on-garmin-fitness-devices-5.png