Thinking about trying Tofu

Options
I am 44 year old male 265lbs and should be 190lbs and thinking about trying tofu for the first time in my lift.. I would like to hear the pros and cons of tofu and some of the best ways to make it.. thanks :)

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Why????? LOL I hate the stuff. It's like eating tasteless rubber erasers!
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I am 44 year old male 265lbs and should be 190lbs and thinking about trying tofu for the first time in my lift.. I would like to hear the pros and cons of tofu and some of the best ways to make it.. thanks :)

If you have thyroid problems I would not.
  • MissKitty9
    MissKitty9 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Tofu is great, just buy the pre-cubed "Extra firm" kind & toss it into a frying pan or wok. Then add whatever flavors you want---- soy sauce & spices is a tasty, easy sauce for your first time. If you don't like it on its own, add to noodles or vegetables.
  • Naomi_84
    Naomi_84 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I don't fully know pros and cons, just that it's low in fat and high in protein. I made it for the first time last week and enjoyed it, an odd texture and doen't really taste of much, just slightly creamy. Its all about what you marinate it in. I made a satay sauce out of soy sauce, sweet chilli sauce and cruncy peanut butter and stir fried it with veg. The soft tofu has a tendancy to break up and turn into scrambled egg so I stir fried that on each side first to brown it and make it look more appetising and cooked the veg seperately then put them together. Do marinate it though, otherwise it would have been creamy nothingness.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i once thought about trying tofu.

i decided that that was enough tofu in my diet.
  • wyodawn
    wyodawn Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    It only tastes like what it's cooked with, so if you've had tasteless tofu it wasn't prepared well.

I always drain tofu on a cutting board and press extra water out with paper towels. Cut in cubes and toss with some olive oil and spices you like (steak seasoning actually works really well). Then, I put a flat lid on top of it. It helps it cook faster and gives it a good texture. Cook until slightly crispy on the outside. Sometimes I bake it in the oven with some soy sauce and pepper then put cheese on it for the last few minutes (if you're doing dairy)

There are lots of good tofu recipes on the web, or check out the book I Can't Believe It's Tofu. Hope that helps.
  • TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    This thread is as close as I want to come to trying tofu
  • AprilMae1975
    Options
    I recently started cooking and eating tofu. I like the one that's already cubed and extra firm. You have to make sure to season it very well. I made veggie/tofu lasagna and it was really good.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    I've had tofu with broccoli and garlic sauce in the local Taiwanese restaurant many times and it is amazingly good. Like other people have said, it's all about how you cook it.
  • mapenguinkeeper
    Options
    try mixing tofu with scrambled eggs or as mentioned in stir fry. P.F. Changs has a dish called Mo Fa Tofu - crispy fried tofu cubes in a sweet/sour sauce surrounded by the most delicious, freshly steamed broccoli. After learning that the dish has a stroke level inducing amount of sodium I now make at home myself.

Here is a MEAT LOVER multi-time tested tofu recipe.

1 block silken tofu
    1 package dark chocolate chips
    1 cookie or graham cracker crust

Melt chocolate chips in microwave or double boiler and cool to room temp.
    Put in blender w/silken tofu and blend until smooth.
    Pour into crust and refrigerate until solid about 2-3 hours Alton Brown Recipe. Fools everyone every time.

Almost forgot that my local Vietnamese restaurant offers Tofu Pho and I'm not quite sure how he gets them so light and airy.
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    1. Firmness/Texture - tofu comes in many different textures so you buy whatever texture you need for what you want to make. Firm for strips, chunks, etc. Soft or silken for creamy recipes like pudding or pasta sauce.
    2. Flavour - tofu doesn't really have a flavour so you can give it any flavour you want. Try spicing and marinating it.

Most people start out eating tofu by making crispy pieces for stir-fry. You will want an extra firm tofu. You then need to get as much moisture out as possible - drain the tofu, then press it (I wrap it in a tea towel and put heavy books on it for 30mins-1hr), if you give yourself time and prepare the night before you can freeze the tofu to get the excess moisture out and then thaw before using. Cut it the size you want. Spice or marinate it if you wish. Fry it up. Throw it in your stir fry, pasta, whatever.

The beauty of tofu is that it can be used for anything. Once you get the hang of using tofu you can really make anything.

I love marinating it and breading or battering it. My fav recipe: http://thevedge.org/2013/02/tofu-popcorn-chickn-vegan-gluten-free/

I also like to cut it into patties, marinate it in a herb dressing, bread it and bake it. MMM!
  • battybecks
    battybecks Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Oh my God, tofu is amazing. You guys are cooking it wrong!

Always always get it out of the packet an hour or so before you cook it, and squash and drain it. I put it on a plate, with my wooden chopping board on top, and kettle on top of that. It gets the excess water out and makes it easier to cook.

My fav low-cal version involves lemon juice and seasoned soy sauce (any soy sauce you like though I guess), just lightly coating the tofu and then grilled. It's crispy and salty and sharp and yummy.

If you're not a wimp, try this - http://scoffandquaff.wordpress.com/2013/02/14/crisp-salt-and-chilli-tofu/
    It is literally the best healthy food you will ever taste. I put slightly less cornflour than they do, and waaaay more fresh chillies. If you try making this (or get down to your local proper Chinese, Thai, or Vietnamese restaurant for versions of this) and you still don't like tofu, you are lying or you are mad.

:)
  • battybecks
    Options
    Just seen I was beaten to the squashing/draining tip! Sorry for the repetition :)
  • Flabulousss
    Options
    I like to fry in butter & garlic salt, place in sandwich with veggies, then douse in A1 sauce... mm
  • faradaysdream
    faradaysdream Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I love tofu...I try to limit my intake of it due to it's estrogen magnifying relationship.

Like others have said, cube extra firm and make a stir fry, or buy the soft and puree it with fruit and chocolate to make a mouse.

I used to buy Ives ground "meat"...I feel like it's too processed for me now, but, it's a great alternative if you don't care about that. High protein, low fat, you can sub it in almost anything that uses ground meat.

I also buy tofu sausages (you'll have to go to a hippie store though, Ives are GROSS...field farm is delicious) ...and I love them. Great flavor. My ex (a total carnivore) would even eat them. I break them up and stir them in with pan fried veggies and serve it with a poached egg....great breakfast IMO (I had that this morning).
  • battybecks
    Options
    And, Raelb - I'm trying that popcorn chicken recipe! That looks stunning.

Sorry, I'll stop posting now. Got a bit overexcited.
  • oc1timoco
    oc1timoco Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    If you eat tofu all by itself it will taste like a crap sandwich...But!. Tofu is a great source of protein and will absorb many of the flavors that you cook it with. Just like when people saw alligator or frog legs taste like chicken, its because they season it the same way as chicken. Season your tofu according to food you want it to mimic and it wont taste like the a fore mentioned sandwich. I personally cant get past the texture. Someone mentioned erasers... close.
  • itsnevrenough
    Options
    Any suggestions for soft tofu? I have some sitting in my fridge...
  • battybecks
    Options
    Soft/Silken Tofu

Ma Po Tofu is a wonderful dish (but a bit complicated to make) - http://rasamalaysia.com/recipe-ma-po-tofu/

Melting chocolate and stirring in pureed silken tofu makes a lovely chocolate mousse (although last time I did this I used 'soft' rather than 'silken' as I couldn't find any, and it came out like chocolate truffles! Not intended but pretty glorious!) - http://www.eatcleandiet.com/food_and_recipes/clean_recipe/tofu_chocolate_mousse.aspx#.UmgT3XlwbIU

Any Chinese hotpot dish can be made lower fat by substituting half the meat and putting in silken tofu at the end. This'll give you an idea - http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/spicy_tofu_hotpot.html But I don't do it like that - I make the soup and veggies and put them in a casserole dish in the oven and put the tofu in right at the end. That way the tofu won't break up, and you don't have to use any oil (I'm always looking for ways to avoid using oil!)

Another thing I do with silken tofu is blend it with lemon juice and mustard and use it as a mayonnaise substitute. Sometimes I'll just blend it and use the odd spoonful instead of cream or crème fraiche to make a dish a bit creamy and yummy. Curry or tomato sauce, for example. I've been known to use it as béchamel sauce for lasagnes too - with lots of cheese mixed in, obvs :)

Now I really want to eat some tofu!
  • itsnevrenough
    Options
    Soft/Silken Tofu

Ma Po Tofu is a wonderful dish (but a bit complicated to make) - http://rasamalaysia.com/recipe-ma-po-tofu/

Melting chocolate and stirring in pureed silken tofu makes a lovely chocolate mousse (although last time I did this I used 'soft' rather than 'silken' as I couldn't find any, and it came out like chocolate truffles! Not intended but pretty glorious!) - http://www.eatcleandiet.com/food_and_recipes/clean_recipe/tofu_chocolate_mousse.aspx#.UmgT3XlwbIU

Any Chinese hotpot dish can be made lower fat by substituting half the meat and putting in silken tofu at the end. This'll give you an idea - http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/spicy_tofu_hotpot.html But I don't do it like that - I make the soup and veggies and put them in a casserole dish in the oven and put the tofu in right at the end. That way the tofu won't break up, and you don't have to use any oil (I'm always looking for ways to avoid using oil!)

Another thing I do with silken tofu is blend it with lemon juice and mustard and use it as a mayonnaise substitute. Sometimes I'll just blend it and use the odd spoonful instead of cream or crème fraiche to make a dish a bit creamy and yummy. Curry or tomato sauce, for example. I've been known to use it as béchamel sauce for lasagnes too - with lots of cheese mixed in, obvs :)

Now I really want to eat some tofu!

Chocolate sounds good!