Discouraged

Options
I began to change my lifestyle midway through June this year after about four years of yo-yoing with the anticipation of slimming down a little before I left for Disney World on December 3, and my senior prom in June 2014. I was doing Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred and eating around 1200 calories a day, then started C25K. By the time the end of August came I was down about twenty pounds. As soon as September hit and I went back to school I was so hungry and was having trouble staying at 1200 cals a day, so I uped my calories to 1300. I only lost about four pounds during September. I cracked down a bit early October and lost three more pounds. Lately I've been having more and more "cheat days" and my old habits are showing up again. I have been uncontrollably hungry this week and it seems like NOTHING is filling me up. I'm exhausted and have barely any energy. I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on how to fix this/push through? Giving up is NOT an option, and I WILL NOT retreat to my old eating habits. I just wish I could get out of this slump. I came home yesterday and fell asleep for an hour, and got eight hours of sleep last night and I'm still tired.

I thought I might add that I did recently stop taking birth control, so that may have something to do with it. Thanks for taking the time to listen!

Replies

• socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I began to change my lifestyle midway through June this year after about four years of yo-yoing with the anticipation of slimming down a little before I left for Disney World on December 3, and my senior prom in June 2014. I was doing Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred and eating around 1200 calories a day, then started C25K. By the time the end of August came I was down about twenty pounds. As soon as September hit and I went back to school I was so hungry and was having trouble staying at 1200 cals a day, so I uped my calories to 1300. I only lost about four pounds during September. I cracked down a bit early October and lost three more pounds. Lately I've been having more and more "cheat days" and my old habits are showing up again. I have been uncontrollably hungry this week and it seems like NOTHING is filling me up. I'm exhausted and have barely any energy. I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on how to fix this/push through? Giving up is NOT an option, and I WILL NOT retreat to my old eating habits. I just wish I could get out of this slump. I came home yesterday and fell asleep for an hour, and got eight hours of sleep last night and I'm still tired.

I thought I might add that I did recently stop taking birth control, so that may have something to do with it. Thanks for taking the time to listen!

Eat more.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Either you log food inconsistently or you drastically under eat then over eat. If you are starving and lethargic you are most likely not eating enough and your body is rebelling.
  • Fragilebird24
    Fragilebird24 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    So, should I up myself to say, about 1500 calories for a week and see how I feel and if I lose weight or not?
  • vrandal
    vrandal Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I agree Eat More just keep it really healthy. Maybe add some good carbs for energy and fiber to help keep you full longer (ex. whole wheat). If you like beans they are low calorie and very filling. It sounds like when school started back things changed so you need to adjust your eating and exercising with it.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I'd increase the amout of protein you eat - that will make you feel fuller. You can change the %ages of carbs, protein etc under custom goals. And watch your sugary things.

You've done really well so far - what's your goal and how close are you?
  • elsyoommen
    elsyoommen Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    be more consistent to eat at your calorie goal, not over or under. eat more protein. eat more nutrient dense foods within your calorie goals. this helps you to feel full longer and gives your body nutrition it needs. also it appears you are not drinking any water? try drinking 8 glasses per day.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options

Eat more.

Pregnant?
  • kristelpoole
    kristelpoole Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Man, I know how that never-ending hunger feels! I find that really high fiber things fill me up when I'm like that. Try eating a huge apple or something - it's all that works for me when I can't stop feeling hungry. And if I'm still hungry, I'll just eat another one.

Also, 1300 cals is probably low if you're moving a lot throughout the day. What's your BMR and TDEE? Maybe you need to up your calories a little bit.
  • mjizzle1986
    mjizzle1986 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Your metabolism has kicked in which is good. Because your burning more calories you feel more hungry.
  • amaodonnell
    amaodonnell Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    So, should I up myself to say, about 1500 calories for a week and see how I feel and if I lose weight or not?

Yes! I tried eating close to 1200 calories once by doctor recommendation, and it stalled my weight loss. I increased it back up to 1450 and they started dropping off. It is amazing what that little difference will do. Eating less is not always eating better.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    If your senior prom is in June of 2014, you are probably too young to be on this site. You are still developing and need more calories. You should see your doctor to see what is healthy for a girl your age.
  • fatfudgery
    fatfudgery Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    DYEL? If you're not doing any kind of resistance training while calorie-restricted, you're just losing a bunch of lean, calorie-burning muscle along with the fat... Also, I've personally found cardio makes me super hungry, so I've had to put a limit to it (about 75% lifting, 25% cardio) even though I really enjoy running.

No lifting + lots of cardio = less muscle, lower TDEE, more hunger.
  • vrandal
    vrandal Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    If your senior prom is in June of 2014, you are probably too young to be on this site. You are still developing and need more calories. You should see your doctor to see what is healthy for a girl your age.
    While I agree it is always good to consult your Dr. about lifestyle changes... A lot can be learned from this site. More than a 20 minute office visit. Sounds like she is interested in healthy living with her weightloss.
  • Squamation
    Squamation Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Upping your cals is YOUR choice- if you think it's a good idea then go for it. If you think it's not right for you then maybe look into other things that could be causing this:

Are you under more stress? Are you around more people who are eating unhealthy? Have you gone through a major life change (death of a loved one, you moving/friend moved away, new job, new school)?

In my opinion saying that your eating more because you've been "starving" yourself is the easy way out. Yes it could be true that you need more calories, however it's also very likely that your increased eating and lack of energy are due to emotional issues.

Think hard about what's going on in your life and make the decision accordingly. See your Dr., talk to a therapist, and then try the idea that you like best. If that doesn't work then move on to the next idea.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options

glad i'm not the only one who caught the senior prom is NEXT june comment. i also never thought i would think this but (deep breath) i'll say it. the fact that she is just got off birth control and is a junior in high school shocks me. damn i'm getting old.
  • Fragilebird24
    Options
    Nope, definitely not pregnant!
  • Fragilebird24
    Options

glad i'm not the only one who caught the senior prom is NEXT june comment. i also never thought i would think this but (deep breath) i'll say it. the fact that she is just got off birth control and is a junior in high school shocks me. damn i'm getting old.

I took birth control to help regulate my menstrual cycle. I'm not at all sexually active (I have a purity ring!) so it shouldn't worry you. As far as me being a senior (not junior, I graduate next year) goes, several seniors are eighteen, it's not a rarity!
  • Fragilebird24
    Options
    I'd increase the amout of protein you eat - that will make you feel fuller. You can change the %ages of carbs, protein etc under custom goals. And watch your sugary things.

You've done really well so far - what's your goal and how close are you?

I try to eat as much protein as I can get in (cottage cheese, peanut butter, yogurt, the occasional bar) and I'm usually in the red but I'll keep that in mind. I do notice that eating sugary things definitely make me more hungry. It stinks that I love sweets so much!

Starting Weight: 205
    Current Weight:181
    December Goal Weight: Somewhere in the 160s
    Ultimate Goal Weight: 135

So, I'm about 46 pounds away from my ultimate goal.
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options

Don't just pick an arbitrary number. Read this and it will tell you where to go to calculate how many calories you should be eating.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13
  • Fragilebird24
    Options

Don't just pick an arbitrary number. Read this and it will tell you where to go to calculate how many calories you should be eating.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13

Thanks!