Need Help

Ok, I've never posted on here but I have encountered a problem alright so When i first started MFP I weighed 242 and i ate at 1600 calorie a day which was I think 1k defecit and within the first like 3 and a half weeks i weighed 230. I re weighed myself 3 weeks later and now i weigh 240 again, I've been eating 1600 calorie defecit I dont know what im doing wrong. Only drinking water and no cheat days. Can someone help?

Replies

• Weight loss is only one part of the process. When you create a calorie deficit which is what MFP does for you, you will lose weight if you stick to it long term. However don't expect to lose a pound a week every week. The scale will go up and down. In the end it may very well average out to a pound of weight lost each week but the scale will not always reflect that.

If you are working out you will gain muscle which weighs more then fat so you may actually gain some weeks.

I would encourage you to take measurements as well because even in weeks when you gain lbs on the scale you could be losing inches.

Also remember that weight can fluctuate up to 5lbs in a single day due to fluid retention. So when you do weight yourself weigh at the same time every week and wear the same clothing. I usually weight myself in the mornings right after I empty my bladder.

Hang in there and remember weight loss is a long journey and not a fast trip!
  • lizmarkham
    lizmarkham Posts: 4 Member
    What are you doing for exercise? Diet alone just isn't enough to cut those lbs. Also, as with workouts and hitting plateaus, our nutritional needs change through out our journeys. I strongly suggest looking at the amount of protein, fat, and sugar your taking in each day. Don't be scared to mix things up. When I hit my plateaus I "shocked" my system with a change to my diet for a couple of days. An example would be instead of cereal or oatmeal I would have a slice of toast and for mid day snack a cup of fruit, lunch might be a salad with 3 oz of meat and a veggie snack in the afternoon, then a well balanced dinner but again watching the fat and sugar intake and boosting the fresh fruits and veggies and lean protein. I lost 65 lbs, 119 inches, have kept all but 15 lbs off for 5 years. It took me over a year to lose it all but once I got my workout routine going I took in as much as 70-80 grams of protein, 80-100 oz of water, and 23-26 grams of fat in a day. I also spoke regularly with a dietician to make sure I was meeting all of my weight loss needs as well as my nutritional needs. Another little tidbit, to boost the calorie burn of a workout, eat a small amount of protein before and after a workout as this can extend the calorie burn for up to a couple of hours. Hope this helps!!! Keep at it!!
  • maybe you are underestimating your caloric intake. make sure you weigh, measure and most importantly, LOG everything you eat. You also may be over estimating your calorie burn, a heart rate monitor can help with that
  • tinamariecleg
    tinamariecleg Posts: 99 Member
    I'm with you! I get frustrated when I don't see a loss every week. It definitely can be water. I try and watch my sodium and eat less processed foods. You can do it!
  • allisonrinkel
    allisonrinkel Posts: 224 Member
    maybe you are underestimating your caloric intake. make sure you weigh, measure and most importantly, LOG everything you eat. You also may be over estimating your calorie burn, a heart rate monitor can help with that

This is usually* the case. I know I probably have been in the same position, thinking Im doing it all right but gaining instead of losing. When I was really honest with myself and started measuring more often, I realized I was over/underestimating my food and exercises sometimes.

Good luck, you can do it!
  • SuzyLy
    SuzyLy Posts: 133 Member
    Seems that your sodium intake is high (on average) -- retaining water? Also, another thing I noticed was you don't seem to make meals at home, i.e. breakfast -- maybe you can have cereal or eggs & sausage at home. There are alot of calories and sodium in prepared meals and restaurant (like McD's).