Pre & Post Workout Foods

Options
KGiehll
KGiehll Posts: 17 Member
Hello, still new at this and trying to figure out what to eat and how much before and after my workouts.

Any help would be appreciated!!! Thank you

Replies

• c7eat2live
    c7eat2live Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I eat carbs before (like 10-30 mins before) half an apple, or half a banana. Always fruit, and a small amount. After I usually finish the fruit I started and drink a scoop of protein powder mixed with cinnamon and 1/4 cup milk. Alternatively I have trail mix after, or my morning meal. The protein is most critical after I lift, sometimes I skip it after only cardio.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Hello, still new at this and trying to figure out what to eat and how much before and after my workouts.

Any help would be appreciated!!! Thank you

I go to the gym sometime between 4:30 and 5:00 a.m. weekdays, so I eat nothing before my workout. Also, if I eat prior to running I will sometimes get nauseated. I do drink water prior to working out.

After, I eat my bowl of Red Mill REAL oatmeal with a tbsp peanut butter and some fruit and coconut miilk and an espresso with lactose free fat free milk (fat free milk because it foams so beautifully).

If my workout is later in the day or a weekend, I just eat what I want--in other words, no special foods.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Nothing pre workout. I do it fasted, save for some BCAAs

Post workout, I do chicken, rice or sweet potato and veggies....usually.
  • KGiehll
    KGiehll Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I eat carbs before (like 10-30 mins before) half an apple, or half a banana. Always fruit, and a small amount. After I usually finish the fruit I started and drink a scoop of protein powder mixed with cinnamon and 1/4 cup milk. Alternatively I have trail mix after, or my morning meal. The protein is most critical after I lift, sometimes I skip it after only cardio.

I haven't started lifting yet. (I am only 5 days in.) Thank you for the advice though. I haven't been eating anything before working out, and then I have a smoothie afterwards. Today I worked out right before lunch so I had half of my 6 inch sub from the other day about 30 after, but I think that was a bit to much because now I just don't feel right!!!
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options

I haven't started lifting yet. (I am only 5 days in.) Thank you for the advice though. I haven't been eating anything before working out, and then I have a smoothie afterwards. Today I worked out right before lunch so I had half of my 6 inch sub from the other day about 30 after, but I think that was a bit to much because now I just don't feel right!!!

I would say avoid a smoothie post workout if you can.
    And eat some food. :wink:
  • Nikoruo
    Nikoruo Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    ummmm I couldn't help you much. Just google it myself. Have some fruits before i think.. like a banana. Afterwards um.... i don't know what really haha
  • paxbfl
    paxbfl Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    First of all, congratulations on your weight-loss. Tremendous job!

If you lost all that weight without a solid exercise program, you're going to be loving life once you've got your exercise regimen all set up and going strong.

I work out first thing in the morning. If it's a cardio day, I generally don't eat anything before I workout unless I get up late (on a weekend) or if it's a long run day. I was once told this helps encourage your body to use its fat stores for energy. Not sure if that's true but it seemed to work for me. Plus I just prefer not having a full stomach when I'm running hard.

If it's a lifting day, I prefer to eat a little something - give my muscles something to work with! On those days I like to have 1/2 a bagel thin (55 calories) with a tablespoon of peanut butter. This gives you carbs for energy along with some fat and protein.

Post workout I usually eat either a protein shake (heavy lifting day) or a breakfast sandwich with egg (under 300 calories) to get plenty of protein to fuel my muscles.

Hope that helps!
  • paleojoe
    paleojoe Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I don't do a pre-workout per se... my workout is bookended by my breakfast and lunch. 10am breakfast is a green smoothie, (1 banana, 1 pear, 1 cup pineapple, 2 cups spinach, 2 raw eggs and 2 cups coconut milk) 1pm workout and then 2pm lunch (usually some type of protein over white rice).

When I workout fasted I do the bcaa's as well...
  • diolpah
    diolpah Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Whey and caffeine pre.
    Whey and dextrose post.
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I practice intermittent fasting. So if I train in the mornings its 10g of BCAAs preworkout, and 10g 2 hours later.