Fat % And BMI Analyzer

Options
Hey guys, I just got this Fat percentage and BMI Analyzer gadget and it's pretty awesome, here's a link to it- http://www.amazon.com/Omron-Logic-Monitor-model-HBF-306C/dp/B00006WNPU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1382487419&sr=8-1&keywords=Omron+HBF-306C+Fat+Loss+Analyzer+Monitor+HBF-306CN+Body+Logic

I'd like to share my results/numbers with you guys and ask you all what you think and see if anyone else has one.

My body fat percentage is 30% and my BMI is 28. I'm 5"9 and weigh about 195. Are my results bad or okay, or what?

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't put too much faith in the BF% analysis, those things are wildly inaccurate. You're on the higher end of BMI, weight and BF% for your height.
  • LionneElle
    Options
    Anyone else?
  • pavrg
    pavrg Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I don't particularly think it's worth it for a whamadyne gadget.

You can use a couple of different tape methods and average the two. That will get you within +/- 5% of your bf for someone in a relatively normal range of bf/bmi (note: This means that if you're 20% bf, the tape will yield somewhere between 19-21% as a 5% error, NOT 15-25%).

If you really really want to be more accurate than that, get a set of calipers. But there's really no need for most people to do that.
  • donjessop
    donjessop Posts: 186
    Options
    Read this article to learn about the variability in using bioelectrical impedance: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bioelectrical_impedance_analysis
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    What is your waist measurement? People who store fat in their mid section are more like to suffer from type 2 diabetes and heart disease. Do you have 6 or more inches difference between your waist and hips? If so, you should be fine, but if your waist to hip ratio is smaller than 6 inches it is a good idea to reduce your overall body fat percentage.

When I was at my highest weight I had less than 4" difference between waist and hips. Now I've got 7" waist to hip.
  • LionneElle
    Options
    My waist is about a 30 and my hips are about a 39.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Anyone else?

BMI is a simple calculation, you don't need a gadget to do that. Body fat % will come down with weight, as will BMI.

You're not far from obese at 28 BMI, I think your body fat is more likely 40 or a bit over at 195 lbs.
  • kampshm
    kampshm Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Anyone else?

BMI is a simple calculation, you don't need a gadget to do that. Body fat % will come down with weight, as will BMI.

You're not far from obese at 28 BMI, I think your body fat is more likely 40 or a bit over at 195 lbs.

I very much doubt her bady fat % is at 40%!! That is extremely high....I am 5'9" and my personal trainer calculated my body fat at 36.8% when I weighed 231. But each individual is different. BMI and body fat % are just tests to put you in a health category/range. I don't think they should be too obsessed over as none are completely accurate. The important thing is if YOU feel healthy at your desired weight and body composition.