Going to start light weight training... advice!?

Soooo I just hit my 40 pound weight loss mark... and ive been hearing a lot lately about how light weight training can help burn more fat and calories off rather than just doing cardio at this point in my journey... id rather start now before i platau and get upset haha...

What kind of weight lifting is best for building LEAN muscle? Should i do weights before or after my cardio?! or should i do them on completely seperate days?

Whats worked best for you? tell me your stories...

Replies

• Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    My advice is not to fall into the trap of "lean" or "toned". Your muscles are shaped however they are shaped, it's genetics. There is no way to really make a muscle look different than how it naturally looks. Lift heavy weights, in compound lifts, at lower reps and you'll get pretty much the same results as from a "toning" routine, but faster and with less time spent in the gym. And you'll preserve more lean body mass, meaning more of your burn will be fat, which is what gives you the "lean" look.

A heavy lifting routine 30 minutes, 2x3 times a week did more for me in 6weeks than 6 months of a "toning routine that was over an hour 3 times a week did. I'm still not where I want to be, but I'm seeing far better results now.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Congrats on the 40 pounds!

Sure weights can burn a few extra calories, but if calorie burn is the only goal, stick to cardio. The real benefit of lifting is that you get strong. Getting stronger is a great feeling. And you can keep most of your muscle mass in a deficit, or add more in a surplus.

I would advise not lifting light, but heavy. Light lifting will basically amount to a form of cardio. If you are after adding strength, you'll want to go for lower rep ranges, possibly a 5x5 program. Higher rep ranges (like sets of 10) will emphasis muscle growth over strength. You probably will not gain muscle size though if you are in a deficit (losing weight). That's why I would steer you toward something like 5x5. Look up Starting Strength or StrongLifts for an idea of what you could do.

You might get a lot of different answers on the question of whether to do lifting before or after cardio. I prefer only a brief cardio warmup if anything before I lift, basically so I have plenty of energy for lifting. I don't do much cardio, but if it is for any length of time, I would rather do it after lifting. Preferably, I would keep it light and just do it on a separate day. Keep in mind, my goals lately have been to gain some mass, so extended cardio is not my best friend, and your method may vary.

Good luck! Strength training is one of the most rewarding things you can spend your time doing at the gym. I highly encourage it.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    pick up and read the books "new rules of lifting for women" and "starting strength."
  • srcardinal10
    srcardinal10 Posts: 387 Member
    Congratulations!!!

I am an avid runner (as you can see on my profile) and I believe in the power of cardio. However, for me PERSONALLY (everyone is different, don't forget that), strength training is the key to my weightloss and being able to reshape my body.

I'd suggest this 12 week, three phase program to help you get familiar with strength training. You can always stop or change it up to how you see fit but this will provide a basis to you strength training. It also has videos on how to do the exercises so that's helpful.

Jamie Eason's LiveFit trainer: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-easons-livefit-phase-1.html

GOOD LUCK in your journey!!!
  • RachaelStJ
    RachaelStJ Posts: 152 Member
    BodyBuilding.com is a GREAT site to find workout plans. I did some of Jamie Eason's LiveFit to help me prepare for a PT test (I'm military) and I did better than I ever have! BodyBuilding.com suggests plans based on sex, age, and fitness goal. Losing weight is an option! I love BodyBuilding.com because it has printouts for each day, so you can keep track of your progress too. It also has videos and diagrams for each workout they have you do. I use the app at the gym when I'm not sure how to do something!

Another program I just heard about is "New Rules of Weightlifting for Women." However, that's a book you buy. I'm planning on starting that in November, right after my PT test!

Here is the link for programs for females, 20-39 for fat loss.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/find-a-plan-fat-loss-2039-female.html
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Soooo I just hit my 40 pound weight loss mark... and ive been hearing a lot lately about how light weight training can help burn more fat and calories off rather than just doing cardio at this point in my journey... id rather start now before i platau and get upset haha...

What kind of weight lifting is best for building LEAN muscle? Should i do weights before or after my cardio?! or should i do them on completely seperate days?

Whats worked best for you? tell me your stories...

Congrats on the 40lbs loss!

It's great that you're interested in weights, they have lots of benefits. My advice would be to go heavy (heavy for you, as in lower reps, higher weight) As long as you can still maintain good form, that's a good weight.
    Look into the basic compound lifts (squats, bench, deadlifts, rows, OHP etc) While they have a main muscle group that they focus on, they do incorporate several muscles from your whole body. More muscles used = higher calorie burn and better overall strength. This is in comparison to isolation exercises (bicep curls etc)

In terms of being lean (muscle is lean, there's no such thing as lean muscle vs fatty muscle) that would include a calorie deficit if you want to lose fat still. Keep up the lifting and you'll maintain your lean mass (muscle) possibly gain a little and look leaner when you reach your goal, because you wouldn't have lost muscle, which you would've done if you didn't lift. I say you may gain a little because generally it's really hard to build actual muscle tissue unless you're eating at least maintenance, but as a beginner it's possible. Even if you don't, you're still holding onto more, and getting stronger. Looking lean depends on body fat more than anything else.

In terms of which to do first, I'd prefer to do weights and cardio on separate days. If that's not a possibility then I'd choose weights first, purely because cardio first might knacker you out so much that your form is compromised. Plus I love to always be at my best when lifting. It depends where your priorities are really, cardio or weights?
  • pfgaytriot
    pfgaytriot Posts: 238 Member
    pick up and read the books "new rules of lifting for women" and "starting strength."

This is a great place to start. I'm getting ready to start stage 5 of New Rules of Lifting for Women and I'm extremely pleased with my results so far. If you do decide to life heavy, be sure to fuel your body. If you're not getting enough calories or protein, it could throw your biological functions waaay off (it happened to me).

As for lifting light weights, I don't personally know anyone who has had real results with that. Other people might, though...

Congrats on losing 40 lbs, btw!
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,064 Member
    Lift heavy, that is the best advise I can give.

Lift as heavy as YOU can lift. Gradually increase the weight as it becomes easier for you.

Compound lifts are a great full body workout. I only use compound lifts and would never go back to isolation training.

I have seen great results with this. I lost a good chunk of my weight with cardio alone but I was still flabby. I cut down on the cardio and added weight training and it has made a huge difference.
  • HannahJDiaz25
    HannahJDiaz25 Posts: 329 Member

My advice exactly! (And if you don't like starting strength workout you can do what I did and do "Strong Lifts." (they seem to hate each other though lol)
  • mikejholmes
    mikejholmes Posts: 291 Member
    @ Stage14, Bigtaljay, Heidimightyrawr, Ashlee, Capt_apollo, BlueBombers -- I am SO happy to see people giving good advice on here! Yay!

I have no experience with NROLFW, but Starting Strength is awesome.
  • Candy1629
    Candy1629 Posts: 40 Member
    bump
  • mikejholmes
    mikejholmes Posts: 291 Member

My advice exactly! (And if you don't like starting strength workout you can do what I did and do "Strong Lifts." (they seem to hate each other though lol)

=D
    StrongLifts does nothing to develop power. If you're not planning on being any kind of athlete, you might not care. Rows are a silly exercise. 5x5 is a bit much when things get heavy. But mostly, I thought it was a complete waste of time to start with the empty bar.

And ya, it kinda bugs me that Mark Rippetoe (wrote Starting Stength), who has 35+ years of coaching experience and owns a gym, is thought of as in any way similar to Medhi (creator of StrongLifts), who is a guy who likes working out, and decided to try to make some money from the internet.
  • I reserve cardio for a plateau. I get what I want and need from lifting 3-4x's weekly. While the programs listed are good, don't limit yourself to "female" lifting programs. IMO, lifting is lifting. I would go to bodybuilding.com and find a solid beginner program to get started. I also wouldn't go light, pushing yourself each session will be how you see results.
  • srcardinal10
    srcardinal10 Posts: 387 Member
    I reserve cardio for a plateau. I get what I want and need from lifting 3-4x's weekly. While the programs listed are good, don't limit yourself to "female" lifting programs. IMO, lifting is lifting. I would go to bodybuilding.com and find a solid beginner program to get started. I also wouldn't go light, pushing yourself each session will be how you see results.

Yes, bodybuilding.com is a great place to start. I just suggested the LiveFit Program because I have the link bookmarked on my screen and it's easy. But go there and check it out...

good luck!
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    My advice is not to fall into the trap of "lean" or "toned". Your muscles are shaped however they are shaped, it's genetics. There is no way to really make a muscle look different than how it naturally looks. Lift heavy weights, in compound lifts, at lower reps and you'll get pretty much the same results as from a "toning" routine, but faster and with less time spent in the gym. And you'll preserve more lean body mass, meaning more of your burn will be fat, which is what gives you the "lean" look.

A heavy lifting routine 30 minutes, 2x3 times a week did more for me in 6weeks than 6 months of a "toning routine that was over an hour 3 times a week did. I'm still not where I want to be, but I'm seeing far better results now.

This.
  • bump for interest
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    I agree with folks here even though this is going to sound like I don't :)

Some of the 'lean' muscle debate can get a bit complicated. If you don't want complicated at all, skip what I'm saying, lol. Muscles are shaped how they are shaped, but very many muscles have different 'heads'. You really can weight train with lifts that emphasize different parts of many muscles. I'm putting that very simply, but you see how the debates can rage about exactly what does what and whether folks should want to do that.

I did figure out which lifts I like and which I didn't on my lower body based on what hits what. And I try to build certain parts more than others. But I'm not going for overall best potential. I don't want my legs to build as they do naturally to be the biggest or strongest they can be. I hope that makes sense. It's pretty vain to break it down for looks instead of just enjoying the natural progression with common lifts, but I just like it better for me :)

I do go for strength over complete vanity if I need a ton of strength for something I'm doing, though! So it depends on what goals you have, imho.

Oh, and I do enjoy the look of incredibly strong bodies at their full potential, btw! I just like my body a certain, picky way since it's easy enough to do it that way, too, imho.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member

QFT
  • This website include weight workouts for beginners right through to weight trainers. It has a wide variety of workouts that might be useful for your situation, help you go that extra mile.

Check it out: www.fitnessnumber1.com
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    This thread could have ended after the 1st post.