Replies

• Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    No cardio at all.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    yeah-no-don-t-put-me-down-for-cardio.american-apparel-unisex-athletic-tee.athletic-grey.w760h760.jpg
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I am only doing cardio for the sake of my October experiment... Otherwise I associate it with the devil. :devil:
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I walk about 4 km a day and sometime will do a 30 minutes walk/ run once a week. I really hate cardio. I also lift 4 times a week.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    I lift heavy 3 times a week and I do c25k for 30 minutes at least 2 times a week (goal is 3 but that doesn't always happen). However, I only do the cardio because I'm trying to improve my cardiovascular health as well. I have found that if I drop the cardio for a couple of weeks and just lift, it has no real effect on my weight loss. If I drop weights for a week and just do the jogging (even upping the jogging a bit), it makes a huge difference in my energy level and mood, and weight loss basically stops for that week and the next.
  • bitethesun
    bitethesun Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Lupercalia, I was wondering what your workout regimen is for this five days a week. Can you quote what weights and how many reps you do for your sessions? Fantastic job for the loss of so much weight. I assume you have reached your goal now. I find it interesting that you did the weights three days a week and now have increased that to five days. Is there a reason for that? Do you feel pain after all of the lifting? I hate taking pills but sometimes feel I need Ibuprofen. Does this ever go away after workouts? Sorry for the amount of questions but I find people do not elaborate with their answers and I am very interested in learning about what works for people; especially you considering you lost so much LOL Thanks, Sandra
  • samammay
    samammay Posts: 468
    Options
    I put 30-40 miles a week on my bike @ 15mph pace. Helps keep the TDEE up.

ETA: Oh - women only. Sorry - lost track of where I was.
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    I do zero cardio.

Unless you count walking at under 2 miles per hour, which I do after leg day for 20-30 minutes to cool down and keep the soreness away.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Very little. I might do Zumba or a walk just because i enjoy it, but not because i feel compelled to do cardio.
  • frugalfitmom
    Options
    Lately, I do cardio if my daughters (ages 10 and 11) talk me into doing a Combat or Turbo Fire workout with them, otherwise I stick with my lifting. My body likes strength training better; I lose more body fat lifting vs. doing straight cardio. :)
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    10 minutes warm up before lifting. I lift every other day.
    Lost about 22-23 pounds total I think. Probably more, but i never weighed myself at my heaviest.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    if i had time i'd do cardio, but my 2 or more hours a day in the gym lifting takes all my time.
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    yeah-no-don-t-put-me-down-for-cardio.american-apparel-unisex-athletic-tee.athletic-grey.w760h760.jpg

I want this!
  • funforsports
    funforsports Posts: 2,656 Member
    Options
    Thanks for letting the guys chime in too :)

I do 2 HIIT sessions a week and usually am in a sports league 2x a week for cardio. Other than that, lift 5x a week.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    Well, I got interested in running this year, so I consider myself both a weight lifter and a runner.

I run 3 days a week and, normally, lift 3 days a week. I'm playing team sports on the weekends and training for a half-marathon, so currently only lifting twice a week. I'm so looking forward to getting my Sundays back (from softball), so I can lift 3 times a week again.

Also, once the half is done (in a month), my progression on weights can increase faster (hopefully).

I imagine I'm a bit of an outlier than most who focus on lifting. I love running (outside only, never on a treadmill) and lifting for different reasons. Glad to be able to balance them.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    As little as possible.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Lupercalia, I was wondering what your workout regimen is for this five days a week. Can you quote what weights and how many reps you do for your sessions? Fantastic job for the loss of so much weight. I assume you have reached your goal now. I find it interesting that you did the weights three days a week and now have increased that to five days. Is there a reason for that? Do you feel pain after all of the lifting? I hate taking pills but sometimes feel I need Ibuprofen. Does this ever go away after workouts? Sorry for the amount of questions but I find people do not elaborate with their answers and I am very interested in learning about what works for people; especially you considering you lost so much LOL Thanks, Sandra

I've responded privately, but in case anyone reading is interested, I'll give a very brief run down here.

I'm training for an upcoming event, so I'm doing a lot of kettlebell work right now in preparation for that. The training schedule is five days per week, which is why I recently upped my training sessions.

I experience varying degrees of soreness after training. I try to avoid taking pain relievers as I prefer to address the soreness by considering my nutrition, hydration, sleep, mobility work, etc.

My weight loss has much more to do with my diet than my weight lifting. I straightened out my eating habits, tracked my food consistently and with reasonable accuracy, and I remained in a caloric deficit. The lifting has helped me hold on to as much muscle mass as possible during this process, and has been a really positive focus for me, so I'm not discounting the importance of that.
  • leannerae40
    leannerae40 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I started lifting 3.5 months ago. First two months, 3x a week and the last month and a half, 5x a week. In total, I have lost 27.5 inches and 33 lbs of fat in that time (without any lean mass loss at all!). Lifting is the best thing that's ever happened to me. I am going back to 3 days a week and will intersperse with Yoga on my off days and perhaps some HIIT intervals. I am only doing the YOGA to help me with mobility, strength and flexibility which will make me a better lifting machine!

The kitchen certainly is the majority of my weight loss but the shaping and muscle that I feel now is all lifting. I wish I'd known more about it earlier and started younger. Being in the best shape of my life at 40 years old is pretty amazing too. I have 44 lbs to goal weight!

The best part of lifting - is when the trainer told me to eat more. The weight really came off then and I feel better all around. I'm at 157 lbs lean mass.

Good luck, and I really hope you enjoy lifting.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I lift 3x a week, 4x a week when the weather's colder. My cardio is dependent on a bunch of things, but I generally play Wallyball for two hours a week, with a run or some biking in on 2-3x a week. I do cardio for both health benefits and because I enjoy being active at all times. I'm still learning the balance of cardio not hindering my strength gains and goals, however.
  • LadyBugLex17
    LadyBugLex17 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I lift 6 days a week. :love:
    I do cardio here and there, no more than 20 minutes. It is all different variations.. stair stepper, rower, jogging, walking incline (the clock ticks super slow on this one)...
    I also do 1 session of Sprints a week. 6X200m

My profile pic is my progress within 1 month.
    I hate the scale SO much that I rarely ever weigh. :explode:
    The difference in my photo is only about 3 pounds. :happy:

I also eat, ALOT :bigsmile: