Does skin adhere to muscles?

Options
Looked online and I cant really find anything on this subject.
This I guess would fall under loose skin etc I guess.

I have some problem areas and I'm wondering if it will all tighten up at one point.
Its weird on my abs my left side is tight and my right side is loose almost looks unnatural if im bending over.

Replies

• karamae
    karamae Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    My chiropractor boyfriend said it's unlikely that the skin would adhere to muscle, but it depends. The younger you are, the more possible it is. His mom has had 3 kids and has very low body fat. She also has some loose abdominal skin but is in fabulous shape. He says skin is like a rubber band for the most part. If it gets too stretched out it won't go back 100%. But it is resilient.

I personally say stranger things have happened! Keep toning it and see how it changes! Good luck!
  • leah33
    leah33 Posts: 16
    Options
    She is right! When the band stretches too far, it doesn't go back! I was 100 lbs when I got pregnant the first time. I gained 79 lbs. during the pregnancy but lost back down to 105. That was what I weighed when I got pregnant the second time, and that pregnancy I gained 82 lbs. I lost down to 115, but over the years (my daughter is six now) I gained a LOT and was at 166 when I started MFP a couple weeks ago. My stomach is an unnatural horror. I have seen several doctors about it and they say that the more weight I lose, the more damaged it will look. The only way to fix it is with surgery. I know this for certain because I have sought out a doctor to tell me different for years and I haven't found one.

I do know that you can have a tear where your skin separates from the abdominal wall, which sounds likely in your case where it's on one side! I would see a doctor. Find a plastic surgeon who advertises "free consultation" and just go in and show him. And...find a doc who won't benefit from cutting you to fix it and ask him/her too!
  • Mrbackslap
    Options
    I guess time will tell hopefully after I get to the point where I cant lose anymore fat I wont have anything hanging.
    My biggest fear is having to get some kind of procedure done.
  • Mrbackslap
    Options
    Its still too early for me in the game before I go see a doctor.
    Besides I never was pregnant but I did have surgery once.

Its not too drastic and this is the first time my body had ever been this sz for my age.
    Im working out like a mad man 5 months and Ive lost about 45 pounds and gained all sorts of muscles.

My diet is pretty good also and i'm drinking a gallon daily of water.
    I want to give it a good year 1/2 before I consider anything if I still have anything lingering.

Just thought that building bigger muscles would have a adhesive effect on the skin.
  • Hotbottom
    Hotbottom Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I would massage, get blood flow there as much as possible. Blood heals, flow heals. When something is dead nothing moves anymore, that is why exercise is so important for the body. Get some body lotion with coco butter in and start massaging your abs as well. A friend who lives in bali lost a **** load of weight ( she went from having an *kitten* the size of a car to a skinny minnie one) and luckily she lived there, so she had massages everyday and ended up with no saggy skin at all. Other friends I know who have lost weight and not massaged much: get the sag. Buy a massage mit, give yourself a going over in the shower. Eat lots of good oils... good luck.
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options

I have some problem areas and I'm wondering if it will all tighten up at one point.
    Its weird on my abs my left side is tight and my right side is loose almost looks unnatural if im bending over.

check my post here for your answer....http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/126695-loose-skin?hl=skin#posts-1721172

Also you a Supreme fanboy? I have been since 98.
  • Mrbackslap
    Options

check my post here for your answer....http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/126695-loose-skin?hl=skin#posts-1721172

Also you a Supreme fanboy? I have been since 98.

Yea I love there hats and clothes alot.
    I collect the panel caps I've been a fan of Panel hats since the RL polo days circa 1992.

also I got a BF goal actually I have a body type goal in reality.
    Even after I reach my goal weight I might go lower in weight I'm thinking 170.
    After that I'm switching my routine from more cardio little weight training too a lot of weight training little cardio.
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    No, skin doesn't adhere to muscle, nor does it adhere to fat. There's a thin layer of connective tissue that anchors it to whatever you've got on top. For reduction after weight loss, you can moisturize and take care of your skin like crazy and wait it out as the elastin regenerates, or you can go cosmetic surgery and have a tuck, or body wraps do work- if you're willing to commit to a full treatment plan (which will take around 6 months or more depending on how bad the excess skin is)
  • leah33
    leah33 Posts: 16
    Options
    I am interested to know about the body wrap! I haven't heard of this as a solution to the skin not fitting the body problem, and I really know very little about body wraps anyway. But, six months of committment seems like nothing after 14 years of living with an ugly stomach!!! Can you tell me more about this?