Just found out I'm pregnant...

13»

Replies

• hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Hi

Thanks everyone :)

To the person who was talking about birth control yes we were using it, so of course it was a surprise. Also being told by my doctor I'd be unlikely to get pregnant anyway due to food allergies really messing me up internally it was doubly so. So yes I'm well versed in sex education but thanks for the heads up!

I've had problems trying to book a doctors appointment because I've had to re-register as I've moved to a different catchment area. The old one won't see me and the new one won't until registration is complete... and to do that I need an initial health check-up by the practice nurse which isn't until 25th Oct. Given that I'm around 7 weeks by estimation it's frustrating!

I'll try the ginger - although don't think I could face dry biscuits in the morning!
  • HeyGoRun
    HeyGoRun Posts: 550 Member
    It would be best if you ate at your maintanenence calories when your past all those preganat feelings and just keep active
    Like they say you are NOT eating for two! Learned that a lil too late haha!

If you wanted a baby then congrats if not well make the best of it :-)
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Congrats!
    A little note about prenatal vitamins...I didn't have bad morning sickness and am pretty good at swallowing pills but those things are huge and almost everyday I had upset stomach for a little while after taking them. I would recommend getting the gummy prenatal vitamins...I took those on days I couldn't keep the vitamin down...the one problem is they don't have DHA which is recommended.
    Although it seems you are at maintanance now, it wouldn't hurt to continue tracking just to keep you from overeating (well once the morning sickness subsides)....I took the "eat for two" thing seriously and well, here I am.
    Also, my little boy was a surprise, I was on BC. Best surprise of my life, couldn't imagine it without him.
  • Emma38418
    Emma38418 Posts: 38 Member
    Hey ladies, I am around 8 weeks pregnant with my second baby due in May. Congratulations to you all!!! I have just started a group if you would all like to join we can keep up with how everyone is doing?! group is called May 2014 Mums

Emma :)
  • JewelsinBigD
    JewelsinBigD Posts: 661 Member
    I used pregopops to help with nausea and just ate whatever I could keep down - mostly protein like big hamburgers and roast beef and lots of salad. The heavier the food the more likely it would stay in my stomach. Easy foods and dairy went out the window. Congrats!
  • Nicholec2003
    Nicholec2003 Posts: 158 Member
    Congratulations!! :wink:

I had severe morning sickness with both of my kids. I was sick all day, every day for most of the 9 months. I was in the hospital for dehydration both times and got many IV's through work after it being ok'd by my Dr, in order to stay out of the hospital. So, depending on how bad your morning sickness is, my advice would be to not worry about calories and just concentrate on staying hydrated and getting as much nutrition as possible. Zofran is a pretty common medication for morning sickness, but, be warned, it causes nasty constipation if you cannot stay very hydrated.:embarassed:

Obviously do the best that you can but, also remember, that the baby will take what he or she needs from you. I had 2 decent deliveries and 2 very healthy babies despite the pregnancies being hard.

I used babycenter.com for a lot of info. :) They have some pretty good forums. Good luck!
  • MeepleMuppet
    MeepleMuppet Posts: 226 Member
    Congrats!! I was VERY sick as well (like my mom, and her mom, and hers...). I only felt better while I was eating so I gained weight a little fast, but everything turned out fine in the end (now I just have to lose it!). If ginger works for you, I recommend the extra strength Gin-Gins. They are a hard candy ginger drop and I would have entirely disappeared down the toilet without them. We even referred to our little growing peanut as "Ginger". My doctor prescribed an anti nausea medication but a side effect is headaches, which were counterproductive. Also, they are take as needed and by the time I took one, it was usually too late. I was sick my whole pregnancy but that is relatively rare. Hopefully you guys will grow out of it soon! Good luck!
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Unplanned and unexpected? Could you elaborate? I mean, surely you had intercourse and are aware that no form of birth control (if you were using it) is 100% effective, yes?

Yes, that was helpful... :noway:

people that are surprised they get pregnant make me lol....just like people that say "oh, we weren't NOT trying."

gimme a break.

Why is this even relevant? You 'find out' you are pregnant by taking a pregnancy test. It doesn't matter whether it was intentional or not. OP doesn't sound surprised, so why are you all offended?

MeepleMuppet - Congratulations!! I don't have any better advice than what I already see here, just wanted to post my congrats. :flowerforyou:
  • marko320
    marko320 Posts: 84 Member
    When my wife was pregnant, there were many nights I would come upstairs to bed and find a buffet station set up on my side of the bed. Good times, but I put on weight too.

Saltines helped with nausea.

I know of a few people who were surprised because they were told it wasn't possible.

Good luck.
  • barbalari
    barbalari Posts: 43 Member
    Congratulations! Personally, I had horrible morning sickness with all three of my pregnancies and weighed less on my delivery days, than what I weighed in at my first prenatal visit-it was horrible going through the sickness, but lovely afterwards because I didn't have any extra weight to lose (I had two 6lb babies and one 8lber).

Me too! Rich tea biscuits were my saviour! My midwife used to say 'any calories are good calories'. Both my pregnancies were unplanned but I have 2 lovely strapping lads aged 26 and 13! Try to enjoy your pregnancy and I really hope you feel much better soon :flowerforyou:
  • I am not the father.
  • emjaycazz
    emjaycazz Posts: 330 Member
    Congrats! My son (now 12) was a "surprise" but it was due entirely to mine and my husband's carelessness. It was however, the best careless "mistake" that we ever made.

I don't have any advice for you because it will be coming out from the woodwork pretty soon once people find out. MFP (or some version of it that tracks necessary nutrients, folic acid, calcium) would have been incredibly helpful during my pregnancy.

Wishing you an amazing pregnancy!
  • Apix
    Apix Posts: 31 Member
    I just had my surprise baby 3 weeks ago and used mfp to keep me aware of the choices I made for foods. I found I ate an insane amount of sugar and adjusted that to healthier choices. I would say don't count calories, don't weigh yourself at home, and keep active. I ran 2 1/2 marathons and did insanity until 30 weeks along with eating healthy and still gained 49 lbs and swelled like a balloon. Thankfully, 42 pounds are already gone because it was all water weight! So when you're feeling huge, don't freak out, you will get back to "normal"
  • lieselLalor
    lieselLalor Posts: 169 Member
    I think MFP will be great to use during pregnancy. Not only can you use it to make sure you are eating enough(or maybe too much), you can also use it to make sure you are getting enough of the nutrients you need. I don't think I ever ate enough fiber or veggies when I was pregnant with my son. I ate too much sugar. Just make sure you don't get too caught up in eating EXACTLY what you are supposed to. Listen to your body, if you didn't eat enough for the day but you don't feel hungry, don't worry about it. If you are over your calories but still feel hungry then give your body what it wants!
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    I really want some more pregnant buddies so feel free to add me :)
    I just discovered I am pregnant again (#2) and I plan to use MFP to be certain I hit required nutrients (i.e. protein, iron, calcium ... etc) but am not going to be too concerned with calories and certainly won't restrict myself. I don't really want to gain more weight but fully expect to.
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,644 Member
    Congratulations. Come join us expectant mothers at http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/1903-fit-fabulous-pregnant
  • niknokd
    niknokd Posts: 127 Member
    Congratulations! I'd say you should probably talk to your doctor or nutritionist about a food plan, I would trust their advice a lot more than anyone on MFP. Good luck!!