run naked, you will prob increase your mile time :wink:
  • moxiept
    moxiept Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips!
  • jeepyj93
    jeepyj93 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    When I run in the winter I found the Smart Wool socks the best for keeping my feet warm. I also wear a pair of cheap gloves with a pair of mitts over top. I am on the warmer side of the Rockies but ran everyday last winter and never got cold.
  • mybiketrip
    Options
    I am still fairly new to running and I am a little unsure if I might need to find some other sort of indoors exercise during the winter. I am not so much concerned with the cold temperature since it rarely gets below -10 degree celcius here. However, I am a little worried about injuries due to snow and icy streets. What are your thoughts on this?

If there's a lot of icy, you can use something like "yaktrax" to give you traction. They just go on over your running shoes:

http://ca.shop.runningroom.com/accessories/yaktrax-run.html

Those look awesome. I might have to buy myself a pair for my birthday! Can you feel them under your feet when you run on ice or concrete?
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I am still fairly new to running and I am a little unsure if I might need to find some other sort of indoors exercise during the winter. I am not so much concerned with the cold temperature since it rarely gets below -10 degree celcius here. However, I am a little worried about injuries due to snow and icy streets. What are your thoughts on this?

If there's a lot of icy, you can use something like "yaktrax" to give you traction. They just go on over your running shoes:

Those look awesome. I might have to buy myself a pair for my birthday! Can you feel them under your feet when you run on ice or concrete?

I haven't tried them myself. My sister likes hers a lot for walking in the winter. The spikes are really short - not like something for soccer - so I don't think you'd notice them much. I think you're supposed to avoid using them on concrete, because it will wear down the spikes pretty fast. (But you can replace spikes individually, is my understanding)
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips :happy:
    i have to say last year i took off from running between november and february (had a nasty cold, and then didn't get back into it until the first almost snow melt).
    this year i plan on keeping running though.
    the one item i use that i don't see listed here yet, is a neck warmer - same principle as arm or leg warmers, just for your neck. saves the hassle of turtleneck tops etc, and is removable once i'm warmed up. if i don't use it, i get a pain from the throat all the way down to my lungs, usually rewarded with a cold the day after. i guess the bandana would help that too though....
  • mybiketrip
    Options
    Thanks for the tips :happy:
    i have to say last year i took off from running between november and february (had a nasty cold, and then didn't get back into it until the first almost snow melt).
    this year i plan on keeping running though.
    the one item i use that i don't see listed here yet, is a neck warmer - same principle as arm or leg warmers, just for your neck. saves the hassle of turtleneck tops etc, and is removable once i'm warmed up. if i don't use it, i get a pain from the throat all the way down to my lungs, usually rewarded with a cold the day after. i guess the bandana would help that too though....

For sure! I can't believe I forgot the neck warmer. Thanks for adding!
  • mybiketrip
    Options

I haven't tried them myself. My sister likes hers a lot for walking in the winter. The spikes are really short - not like something for soccer - so I don't think you'd notice them much. I think you're supposed to avoid using them on concrete, because it will wear down the spikes pretty fast. (But you can replace spikes individually, is my understanding)

I was wondering because this will be my first winter in my new town and my first time living within the city. I'm going to do a bit of urban running this winter.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I'll see your guide and raise you a better one.

1. Find a treadmill, preferably one with a tv and window.

2. Run on said treadmill.

3. During commericials look out the window and catch people running outside

4. Laugh at how warm you are

5. Repeat as neccessary

guillaume-approves-o.gif
  • LoggingForLife
    LoggingForLife Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I am a new runner too and I have a question about cold weather. I went out for a run the other day, the air was cooler than I am used to and now my throat and lungs hurt. Feels like they are irritated...could the cold air do that? Possibly I am getting sick coincidently at the same time I ran outside? Thoughts please...
  • tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I live in VT and have run to -10F. I second the fleece neck warmer. I have one that I use to breathe through when the temps get below freezing. Add a fleece balaclava when it gets below about 10 degrees. I would rather run in any outdoor temp than on a treadmill. My longest ever treadmill run was 4 miles and I thought I would go mad.:laugh:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I live in VT and have run to -10F. I second the fleece neck warmer. I have one that I use to breathe through when the temps get below freezing. Add a fleece balaclava when it gets below about 10 degrees. I would rather run in any outdoor temp than on a treadmill. My longest ever treadmill run was 4 miles and I thought I would go mad.:laugh:
    You're my hero. I try to run when it gets really cold, but I get so stiff! Each year gets better though!
  • _canuckrunner_
    _canuckrunner_ Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I run in the winter with YakTrax and really like them. They aren't great for really slick ice but otherwise they do improve traction quite a bit. You can feel them a little when you first start wearing them but after a short while I didn't really notice them there. I wear them on my regular running shoes. I've debated about getting some heavier-duty trail shoes (mostly because the uppers are a tighter weave and I think they'd be a bit warmer - I live in Northern Alberta so it can be a bit cool......). My YakTrax last me one winter running season then usually they need to be replaced since one of the rubber pieces usually snaps.

Otherwise all of the other advice on here is great. Definitely dress in layers, invest in some good moisture-wicking base layers as there is nothing worse than being cold and wet. I have a merino wool neck warmer that is awesome when its really cold and I'll probably buy a balaclava this year. There's nothing better than running in freshly fallen slow when no one else is out there!!! Good luck!
  • Violetta86
    Violetta86 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I love these tips and will need them soon in New England! Thanks for posting this.