How many net calories should be my minium?

Options
2»

Replies

• Binkie1955
    Binkie1955 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    use the keto calculator rather than the BMI calculator. it will focus you on net carbs instead of simply calories. for a short term weight loss more effective.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

And 2 lb/week is an unhealthy goal if you're close to your ideal weight. It's only a healthy goal if you're very overweight.

This!

With 15lbs to lose you should be focusing on how to maintain LBM and have a small deficit to lose 0.5lb per week.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I would like to lose at least 15 more pounds by Thanksgiving. According to a BMR calculator I found online, I should consume 1700 calories to maintain my weight (with no exercise) based on my age, height and weight. That means to lose a healthy 2 lbs per week...I need to save 7000 calories per week to lose at that rate. That means I have to save 1000 calories per day. 1700 minus 1000 = 700 which means I should consume only 700 net calories per day to lose at a rate of 2 lbs per day. Am I doing this calculation right. Everyone I talk to says that is too few calories. BUT...2 lbs per week weight loss doesn't seem like an unhealthy goal? Please help me figure this out!!!!

Oh no, you have just reminded me that Thanksgiving is about seven weeks away! :bigsmile:

Have you plugged in all the information into MFP to figure out your base calorie rate? The formula they use figures in your Base metabolic rate based on your normal activity without exercise, then when you do exercise you eat those calories back.

For example, I've a lot of women here say their BMR is 1,200, which could very well be yours as well (I don't know, though). Say you go do this killer run and burn about 400 calories. Because MFP already has your calorie deficit figured out based on how many pounds you told it you wanted to lose each week, you would eat back those exercise calories (or a portion of them if that's too much food for you), thus your calorie intake would be 1,600 a day when you exercise.

I started out wanting to lose 2 pounds a week, which gave me 1,200 calories without exercise. Then, when I was about 12 pounds to my goal, I changed it to lose one pound per week and was alloted 1,300 calories without exercise. When I am 8-10 pounds from my goal, I will change it to lose .5 pounds per week. Then, when I am at my goal, I will change my goals to maintenance.

You always want to eat enough to fuel your body, otherwise you won't feel too well.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    This is why MFP really needs to add notations in the weekly weight loss goal section to better guide new members into choosing the appropriate deficit based on total fat mass to lose. This lack of information is leading too many people to pursue deficits not suitable for them in the belief that everyone can lose 2 lbs per week. I see so many threads of people confused, frustrated and even fearful of increasing calories when they eventually realize this.
  • FluffyKangaroo
    FluffyKangaroo Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    It's not wise to under-eat because you will be left feeling drained. Do some extra walking or light exercise to earn more calories and then you can eat more. And the goal isn't unrealistic but sometimes the numbers don't reflect how many inches you lose - so don't feel discouraged if you're not meeting it because chances are you'll look better and be feeling great even if you only lose a small amount :)
    Good luck reaching your goal!
  • alichristiana
    alichristiana Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Op, I've just realised what you were asking. Don't eat under your BMR, eat between your total daily expenditure (TDE) and your BMR to lose weight healthily. The deficit needs to be worked out from your TDE, not your BMR.
  • dawnwritesnow
    dawnwritesnow Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    This is why MFP really needs to add notations in the weekly weight loss goal section to better guide new members into choosing the appropriate deficit based on total fat mass to lose. This lack of information is leading too many people to pursue deficits not suitable for them in the belief that everyone can lose 2 lbs per week. I see so many threads of people confused, frustrated and even fearful of increasing calories when they eventually realize this.

I didn't find this to be a problem for me. I kept putting 2 lbs per week as my goal, but MFP wouldn't let me go below 1,200, which was unhealthy. MFP kept me at a loss of 0.7lbs, and so long as I eat to my recommended calories, I'm safe and losing weight (slowly). I appreciate this as a safety feature.
  • smwright509
    Options
    Did you ever find your answer? I've been wondering the SAME EXACT thing and I keep hearing the 1200 calories thing. I have basically the same goals as you, and want to know if it's bad to NET lower than 1200 calories or just EAT less than 1200 calories.

Let's say I consume about 1200 calories/day but then I work out each day and burn 500 calories. That brings my net down to 700. I still CONSUMED 1200 calories, but now I'm netting much less because of my workout.

If I simply re-consume that 500 that I just burned off, doesn't that completely defeat the purpose of working out??? why wouldn't I just consume 1200 and NOT work out and net 1200.

What is advised in in this situation?
  • KarissaVT
    KarissaVT Posts: 1
    Options
    I think it should be your net calories that is around 700. That means eat no less than 1200 calories and burn off the rest (500) yo reach 700 per day. But that is a belly low number to aim for. I'd see where 1lb a week puts you.