not sure if this has been asked

Options
So im on a 1200 cal a day plan but I want to get the most out of those 1200 cals. Im not very creative when it comes to meals and variety. For those that are on a 1200 cal plan, or anyone really, can you give me an idea of your typical meals? Aside from the grilled chicken and brocoli.

Replies

• rubyrenga
    rubyrenga Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I was anxious to see people's responses on this, because I need ideas too! But I'm also on a 1,200-calorie plan, and a few things I eat are various kinds of fish and veggies; soups for lunch, but only homemade or ones with natural ingredients from the health-food section; spinach salad with dried cranberries, pine nuts and goat cheese with Annie's balsamic vinaigrette; vegetarian meat substitutes with side dishes of various veggies, like sweet potatoes, kale, roasted beets; edamame and miso soup; and tacos with vegetarian ground beef or beans. I'm sure there are others, but I can't think of any at the moment! Good luck!
  • curativelifter
    Options
    I'm on about 1500 calories a day, and for me I like to add eggs, or home made juices to the routine. The juices can give you that sweetness you may be craving and is a great option as long as 1, you aren't adding too many fruits, make sure they are plant based juices and 2 you aren't drinking a ton if it. I feel that a quarter of a cup with my boring salad and chicken goes a long way.

Another thing I find helpful when eating my lunch, I love to add different spices to meals. Cooking chicken and fish everyday can definitely get redundant, so maybe making things asian style one day and adding some curry or natural vinaigrette other days. You can find lots of flavors without adding calories if you are creative.
  • Ramatang
    Ramatang Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1200 calories a day.. you can look at my diary if you like
  • Zibberroo
    Zibberroo Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have a blend for breakfast and lunch (510 calories combined), yogurt for snack (80 calories), coconut water for electrolyte balance (43 calories), and dinner is a variant between: fish, butternut squash and a small salad (550 calories), or white bean chicken chili with Tostitos scoops ( 475 calories), or Thai green curry chicken or shrimp (500 calories), or a panini and sweet potato fries (550 calories), and I have other items that I mingle in there as well. I prefer taste and experience of the food over quantity. With that mindset, I have really enjoyed my new diet.
  • kellyesc84
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your responses. I have so many new meals to try thanks to you guys!
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    If you are concerned about getting enough nutrients, you could look into a good multivitamin.
  • slim4health56
    slim4health56 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    You can eat just about anything you want, in moderation of course, but keep an eye on your macros (protein, fat, carbs) if you're aiming for a healthy lifestyle. I made a list of all my favorite foods in each category and pretty much stick to that list so shopping/planning is easy and I don't get overly creative in the kitchen (where my best laid plans go awry). I did adjust my protein list and have aimed for leaner choices in that regard, but that's totally up to you. Make a list of lean proteins you like (eggs, fish, chicken, some dairy, even beef and pork can be healthy choices), another list for your carbs (the list is virtually endless), and the fat just works itself out (well, sort of...monitor until you get an idea of where the high fat grams are coming from if you're focused on a low fat diet). I actually don't worry about fat anymore...but instead focused on getting rid of the excess carbs. Eat foods you like and eat a variety. Chicken and broccoli get old really fast! How about a lean steak with asparagus and lemon pepper? Yum! Nice, big spinach salad with eggs, crumbled feta cheese and bacon? Food is good!

P.S. My favorite meal is tacos! Seasoned lean ground beef, thin corn tortillas, chopped tomato, lettuce, onion, and a little sour cream with a few drops of hot sauce. Three of them and under 400 calories.
  • aKate_
    aKate_ Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Celery soup! I mix this up, but saute some celery, onion, and garlic. Then add it to a soup pot with one potato (chunks) and low sodium veggie or chicken broth. I let it simmer for about a half hour, then I puree it with an immersion blender. Then I like to add a little salt, pepper, and hot sauce. Then great thing about the soup os you can add whatever veggies you have around, and it freezes well so you can make a big pot and portion it out in the freezer for easy meals.