Is it possible to eat too much fruit?

Options
So I eat quite a bit of fruit ever day.
By examlple: I the morning i make a smoothie with: skim milk, raspberries and a banana
And for snacks by example i eat pinapple the whole day if i cut a fresh one up. Then I eat the whole pinapple over the course of 1 day.
And in the evening after dinner, if i feel like having some kind of dessert i also take fruit, a pear or an apple.
Another example day:
Breakfast: A bit of granola with yoghurt and berries
For my snacks; 2x 1/2 mango
And again something after dinner
And a banana after a workout

Is that a good amount? Or too much? or not enough?

Thanks !

Replies

• emalinemartin
    emalinemartin Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not. Anyone who tells you other wise is wrong. It is possible according to the SAD but please look up 80/10/10, Dr Doug Graham, & Freelee on YouTube. Any questions shoot me a message!
  • emalinemartin
    Options
    Also, for anyone that thinks its false, look up the long term fruitarians. They are the slimest, leanest, and the healthiest. But, as always, they're commited and doing it properly and not cheating like most do
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    no, as long as you are in a calorie deficit for the day then you should keep losing weight...
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    no, as long as you are in a calorie deficit for the day then you should keep losing weight...

This. However, you still have to make sure you hit your protein goal (which should be higher than MFP's default goal really). That's one of the reason I don't eat that much fruit anymore.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Also, for anyone that thinks its false, look up the long term fruitarians. They are the slimest, leanest, and the healthiest. But, as always, they're commited and doing it properly and not cheating like most do

frutarians? do they live on planet frutaria?
  • rmashman
    rmashman Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    @Francl27.... That is a great question! I think about that as well for reasons of eating to much Sugar each day. I understand that it is Natural sugar vs. Artifical sugar. Please reply with any great websites or studies that have been done on this subject! I'm dropping the pounds and at a decent rate, but I could always be happy with a bit more lose monthly.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    The slimmest, leanest and most devoid of muscle.

And it's Frugivore.

It's difficult to eat "too much" fruit anyway, given the general high concentration of vitamins, minerals and fiber. But as with all things, stay below your calorie needs and you'll lose weight, go over and you'll gain.
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Of course it is possible. It is possible to each too much of anything.

Whether you are or not, only you can answer that question. Are you reaching your goals, do you have energy, feel good, etc...
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as eating too much fruit, only too many calories. It certainly won't do you any harm, unless you have a medical reason to limit your sugar.

There is such a thing as not getting enough proteins and fats though. Keep an eye on your macros and try and keep them all pretty much on target. Try swapping a piece of fruit for a handful of almonds or greek yogurt, for example.
  • dylanafghjkl
    dylanafghjkl Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    oObiaOc.png
  • emalinemartin
    Options
    The slimmest, leanest and most devoid of muscle.

And it's Frugivore.

It's difficult to eat "too much" fruit anyway, given the general high concentration of vitamins, minerals and fiber. But as with all things, stay below your calorie needs and you'll lose weight, go over and you'll gain.

It was early in the morning. Excuse the typo's and grammar. Lol.
  • emalinemartin
    Options

frutarians? do they live on planet frutaria?

Again with the spelling errors. Lol. Frugivore*
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    You can eat almost all fruit and not have any problems unless you are a heavy lifter. I eat mostly fruit, veggies, nuts and seeds but I also like some grass fed beef, chicken, turkey, whole milk and eggs for heavy lifting. I've tried eating about all fruit with heavy squats and my legs didn't recover fast enough. I'd recommend no more than 60% of your calories from fruit for strength training.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    possible to eat too much fruit?

Possible - yes
    Probable - no
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    it would be better to trade out some fruit for vegetables. vegetables are not full of sugar like fruit, so less calories, and less diabetes.

if you are trying to get your vitamins / nutrition from the fruit, you may as well eat 2-3 kiwi fruit, and you will have it there. kiwi fruit is the most nutrient dense fruit, and makes it, from a nutritional standpoint, not worth eating low density fruit - other than taste.

that much pineapple would probably strip the enamel off your teeth pretty quick too.

iLirbyLl.jpg

TOO MUCH FRUIT?

probably if you had too much, you would just crap your pants. thats usually a sign that your intestine is saying no mas!
  • BethAnnC448
    BethAnnC448 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    medical reasons yes....otherwise no...
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    If it fits your macros, knock yourself out.

With specific respect to 80/10/10 and frugivore diet -- I'd strongly recommend anyone considering it google it as well. There are a lot of people posting personal stories where they tried it, things went well -- they lost weight without even trying -- and then once they reached their goal, they found themselves unable to maintain weight (it kept dropping)/lost periods/teeth started falling out/etc. The one-star reviews on amazon.com are a good place to start.

One of the most scary things about this diet is the way some of the practitioners will vigorously attack anyone who's experiencing ill health on the diet, and claim that the only reason that they're experiencing ill-health is because they aren't doing it "right" or "cheating". Look, if a diet of virtually all raw fruit and greens is healthy, and the SAD is terrible, then a diet that's 80% raw fruit and greens and 20% SAD is going to be a lot healthier than the SAD. "cheating" *should* *not* *result* in *WORSE* health than the SAD.