Everything is too big on me! Awesome but frustrating?!

Options

Replies

• ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    As others have said, try Goodwill or a similar place. Very inexpensive. Shop sales. Right now Christopher and Banks has a 40% off sale going, and Kohl's has sales all the time. Also many stores are closing out summer season clothes and you can get things very inexpensively.
    For the first 6 months, I continued wearing my clothes and using a belt. A friend said to me "must be some belt". I did not want to spend money on a size I was planning on "just visiting". When I finally broke down and bought my first pair of jeans (after losing 90#), I was surprised (and delighted) to find I was no longer a plus size.

It is a dilema, but kind of a nice one :)
  • kristyrae24
    kristyrae24 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Too bad MFP doesn't have something on the website where other users could swap there old wardrobe with other users when their own clothes got to big for them lol. Great job on the weight loss. I'm in the same boat as you-my brad are to big and I only have 1 pair of jeans that fit me just right. All my other pants I struggle with but it is so hard to buy new clothes every time u go down 1 size.

Congrats with the weight loss again!
  • ccb1128
    ccb1128 Posts: 56
    Options
    Sell what you can on ebay and save that money towards a new wardrobe. :)
  • kowajenn
    kowajenn Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Congrats!

I currently have 3 pair of pants that actually fit. Everything else is baggy but I can't afford to get a new wardrobe every 2 months so I make do. It's a good problem to have. I've been buying only what is absolutely necessary throughout this process and plan on a big spree when I'm finished.
  • lisaanne1369
    lisaanne1369 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I am also in the same boat ! Very expensive and hate thrift stores (scary) The latest thing I threw money down is new running sneekers !
  • micheleld73
    micheleld73 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    So I've lost almost 40 pounds, and essentially every thing in my closet is too big for me. All of my favorite sweaters, shirts, dresses, everything. So annoying now because I can't afford to go shopping again! Even my bras are too big for me. What am I supposed to do? No one told me about when your clothes get too big for you!!

I had this problem repeatedly...I went from a loose 12 now at a loose 2. Thrift Store shopping is my answer. I have a friend over 50 who gets 50% off everything on Wednesdays. So like the song says, I put $20 in my pocket and refurbish my wardrobe about once every month or so. (I went yesterday and got 1 sweater, 6 tops and 1 pair of slacks for $12).

ETA: I won't buy under garments at thrift shops so I check out Ross, Target and Walmart for their sales bras and use my VS coupons for the panties.
  • vtotheicky
    vtotheicky Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I'm slowly starting to experience this but I'm wearing leggins as trousers, long t-shirts and cardigans which all tend to look okay even if they're a bit baggy. I'd say treat yourself to a mini wardrobe overhaul (done cheaply) and get clothes that will look good as your body shrinks. Also you could sell your current clothes on ebay.
  • elisabeisme
    elisabeisme Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Definitely try eBay. money has been tight for me this year so I've been selling my old clothes on eBay in order to get the money to buy new clothes in my smaller size. I had some beautiful designer suits which fetched a decent price. Sad to see them go, but I never want to be that size again. Jeans also got a good price and those are hard to take in.

Then, I had the money in my pay pal account and used that to bid on stuff in my new size. By limiting my purchases to the amount sold, it has had zero impact on my regular budget so far. I don't plan to spend "real money" on new clothes until I am at my goal weight/size.
  • mariahk35
    Options
    lots of good tips in this thread. This is something I was worried about as all my pants are falling off now. But can't afford new clothes all the time either. I like the thrift store idea, especially as I will continue to need smaller sizes
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    First, invest in a bra that fits. It will make you feel better and look better.

Everything else you can pick up at resale shops and thrift store. I picked up a pair of Gap kakhi pants at our local resale shop for $12 the other day (and I'm a 37" in inseam and can never find clothes long enough). And when they get too big, I'll sell them back and get new ones.
  • anewlife1980
    anewlife1980 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    This happened to me too as it does for everyone, I refused to get more clothes because I still had 60lbs to go that was until my pants literally fell off me then I had no choice. But here is what I did, I got workout pants & leggings to wear & bought it a size smaller, this way it was snug to start but within a few wks fit so much better & bc they are stretchy then tend to shrink with you. I love my leggings! Esp once you put them in the dryer lol

As for tops, I went out & bought 6 new but cheapest I could get my hands on, hit every sale & except for one shirt that was 20.00 (it was really nice so I treated myself), I spent about 10.00 ea on the rest. This way I got alot for my money & I wouldn't care when it got too small & I had to donate it all because I knew I wasn't losing alot of money. I also made sure to buy those snug as well, now they all fit me great & regardless I will make them last til the spring. I got myself only one pair of jeans, I could do them up but not wear them at first (this was Sept) but now they fit great.

You can't go without clothes that, it feels just as crappy to wear clothes that are too big as it does to wear clothes too small but I get how you feel, I had no money for new clothes either. I would get a little when I could, but luckily I got a fair bit of money for my bday & made it stretch as far as I could. My dresser is still near empty & my closet has 6 t shirts & 6 tanks in it but thats ok. I just had to get use to wearing the same stuff all the time, so I rotate it, after I wear it, it goes to the back of the very small pile.

For bras, I shopped walmart for the first time in my life (usually buy at plus size store where they are 50.00 ea!) & was surprised to get one for 16.00!

Congrats on your loss! This is an awesome NSV & you should be proud!!
  • Chelle175
    Chelle175 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem. I went from a size 18-20 to a size 8 and being a working civil servant in a mostly rural area, there was NO WAY I could afford to have a whole new wardrobe every step of the way. So here's what I did, consignment shopping.

I have a great local Consignment Shop that sells really good quality clothes, including designer clothes. So what I did was become a consignor. I took in my large size clothes, which happen to be in very high demand because they were larger sizes, consigned them, and started shopping pretty much exclusively at the store. The prices are reasonable, but here's the best part. I receive a store credit for 50% of any clothes that I consign with them when they are sold. So as my transition clothes became too big, I just took them back and consigned them again. I still get a store credit and I didn't have to pay for essentially 3-4 different wardrobes while I was losing the weight.

My husband loves this idea, BTW.

But it's still a great problem to have. Good Job!!!!
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Do you have a Ross in your area?

They have really nice, name brand clothing for cheap. I find it preferable to the thrift stores around here because they're about the same price for brand new clothes.
  • aharburger
    aharburger Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Too bad MFP doesn't have something on the website where other users could swap there old wardrobe with other users when their own clothes got to big for them lol.

Oh my gosh, THIS would be amazing!
  • j0705
    j0705 Posts: 185
    Options
    So I've lost almost 40 pounds, and essentially every thing in my closet is too big for me. All of my favorite sweaters, shirts, dresses, everything. So annoying now because I can't afford to go shopping again! Even my bras are too big for me. What am I supposed to do? No one told me about when your clothes get too big for you!!

sell them on amazon ebay gumtreeor fb type sites, then hit the end of season sales ;)
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    no, just awesome.
  • chai_masala
    chai_masala Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Learn to sew and alter your clothes.!
  • kittenful
    kittenful Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    It's definitely a yay/boo situation. Some of my very favorite things don't fit anymore, but I figure I'll get NEW favorite things. I'm a huge fan of shopping at thrift stores, especially now, since I've found one that has excellent quality and adorable clothes.
  • spinnychik
    spinnychik Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I alter some of my clothes up to a point. If there is a Freecycle/Fullcircle/Reusit network in your community, you can check if anybody has some clothes to give away.

If you can stand skirts, they are a blessing! Something I've found through the last couple dozen pounds is that skirts and dresses are MUCH more forgiving of a little extra space than pants are. Except for tailored ones... once they get floppy tents in the bustline, they don't look so fantastic. LOL
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I used to only have 1 pair of jeans at a time while losing and having to buy new bras all the time was really annoying too. For a while I kept going to VS but then I realized that Target was a better idea because they are cheaper and still pretty decent!

I was so happy when I got to my goal sizes, I ordered 5 pairs of jeans from American Eagle when they were having a pretty good sale online and I've gotten a lot of bras bc I have a VS credit card and they send really good coupons and now that I'm smaller, I can wear the cheaper bras so it's been a win-win!

but oh, I do not miss those days of growing out of everything. I still have a lot of too big workout clothes, but I'm looking forward to replacing them!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!