Waking up early for the gym.. What works for you??

Options
So i have decided that in order for me to get any gym time in Im going to have to go before work. This means waking up at least 530- 6 the latest. I have tried countless tricks like drinking water as soon as the alarm clock goes off or setting the alarm away from me like on the other side of the room so I would have to walk to get to it... nothing seems to be enough to get me awake enough to go.

Do you guys have any tips when it comes to waking up early to get to the gym?

Replies

• ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    I'm not a morning person by any means but I'm at the gym by at least 6:30 4 days a week. Here is what helped me.

1. Alarm across the room so I have to get up to turn it off. Right outside my bathroom door on the dresser.
    2. I never get up thinking I'm going to go to the gym. I get up thinking I just need to make into the bathroom. Once in the bathroom I rinse my face with cold water. This pulls me out of the "let's snooze for 10 more minutes" to awake and ready to get ready to go to the gym.
    3. Go to bed earlier. I'm a night owl so this is tough for me but it really does make a difference.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I have not tricks, I guess. I get up at 4:15 M-Th and 5 on Friday.

IMHO, either you want it, or you don't.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    One big tip that people always fail to give is remember the feeling you have at the end of the day. The feeling you have after you get off work and get home and put your feet up, knowing that you got your workout done early so that you could feel this way after. Remember that feeling, it is a huge motivator.
  • heatherannh23
    heatherannh23 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I use my phone's alarm and changed the settings so there's no snooze button. Then cue the loud, obnoxious old car horn sound at 5:30 am and I'm wide awake and practically ready to run from the sound. Seriously, it's the worst. Honestly though you have to just push yourself to get up. Quickly get ready and it'll get you awake a bit more.
  • Allterrain_Lady
    Allterrain_Lady Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    One big tip that people always fail to give is remember the feeling you have at the end of the day. The feeling you have after you get off work and get home and put your feet up, knowing that you got your workout done early so that you could feel this way after. Remember that feeling, it is a huge motivator.

^^THIS EXACTLY!
  • Wrxsti23
    Options
    I turn all the lights on. I also use 2 alarm clocks because sometimes I am in some deep sleep during those times. So I will set my phone and regular alarm to go off at the same time which is quite annoying and will definitely wake you up. Also maybe now that it's getting colder you can take a step outside and maybe the cold will wake you up. I'm never "fully" awake when I'm getting ready for the gym but once I start my workout that is what ultimately wakes me up and I also make sure to only do classes at the gym early in the morning because that will push me through getting the full hour in.
  • jaysull21
    Options

If I get up an extra hour early tomorrow (4:15AM) to run, it will be because of this post. I've needed some motivation to set the alarm that early but haven't done it yet....
  • rileyhunter169
    Options
    1. get to bed at 9pm
    2. don't go back to sleep after opening eyes
    3. I like a cup or 2 of coffee... does the trick
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    If I get to bed on time (going to sleep at 9:30pm works for me), I wake up naturally with no alarm at 4am. My gym opens at 4:30am. It took me a while to develop that bedtime. Plan to be in bed, going to sleep at a certain time. Then you will NOT mind getting up early. Get ready for your day the night before....gym clothes, etc. Persist in developing habits/routines that allow you to rise early and get to the gym.
  • MrsB123111
    MrsB123111 Posts: 535 Member
    Options

^^THIS EXACTLY!

I second this! I was up at 5:15 this morning to get my workout in. I'm still a little grumpy, but here in about an hour I'll be glad I went! There is nothing better than knowing you accomplished so much, so early in the day!!

Edit: I also force myself to go to bed at 9:00pm the nights before my AM workouts.
  • hougt
    hougt Posts: 1,088
    Options
    I actually allow myself a snooze. One alarm set for 15 mins before i need to get up, second alarm is next to my light switch. Also my body is getting used to the earlier mornings

Also having my work stuff packed helps so that I get up, wash, brush teeth, gym kit on, leave. Can be done in 10 mins
  • superfox12082
    superfox12082 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Get everything ready that you will need the night before. If you are going to work right from the gym make sure you pack all your shower gear, make up, and clothes. I make sure my breakfast, lunch and water bottles are ready to throw in a bag.
    The biggest motivator for me is knowing that after work I can go straight home and do whatever I want and not feel guilty about not working out. I get up at 5:30 four days a week and get in about an hour work out.
  • lysslax
    lysslax Posts: 64
    Options
    I am SOOOO not a morning person. In fact, I do most of my working out after work or at lunch just to avoid getting up early, but on Thursdays my schedule doesn't allow that so I have to get up to get a workout in.

The only way I'm able to get up is by having my weigh-in days on Fridays, this makes me extra conscious on Thursdays of exercising and eating well. However if you are trying to work out every morning I think you just have to start doing it. They say it takes 21 days to form a habit - so give it 3 weeks and see if it sticks!!

Also go to bed early!

23724452.png
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I know it's not the perfect answer from a health standpoint, but this is why I use pre-workout drinks. They don't do a whole lot for me as far as getting a huge pump, but they do really help wake me up.
  • ames105
    ames105 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I don't think about it. My alarm goes off at 4:45am, I get out of bed, put my clothes on in the dark (I've laid them out the night before). I am out the door before I am awake, hair standing on end, I'm sure I look frightening! Lately, the cold temps will finally wake me up a bit. I don't give myself the opportunity to think I can't get up. I don't make the 'I'll do it tomorrow' excuse. I just get up and do it.

Of course, I can't say I'm not tired. This morning, I went to work, got my morning water and sat back down at my desk before someone told me my shirt was on inside out. Embarrassing, but at least I got my workout in.
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Nothing. I kid, I kid. :bigsmile:

^^This is really the only reason I can ever drag myself out of bed for a morning workout. Unfortunately I can only do this on Fridays (strictly cardio day) because I don't have enough fuel (read: food) in my system in the morning to be able to lift heavy.

Also, sleep in your workout clothes. That seems to help too. (At the very least it saves you time in the morning - I just throw on some deodorant, brush my teeth, throw my hair up into a ponytail and go - 5 mins tops)
  • aelphabawest
    aelphabawest Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Going to bed and waking up the same time every day for a few weeks - it will reset your system a bit. At this point, I usually wake up five minutes before my alarm.
  • running_shoe
    running_shoe Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    There are lots of good points listed already. Go to bed at 9. Keep yourself well hydrated and properly nourished all the times.

Also, get all your prep work done the night before. I have my bag packed and in the car, lunch made, gym gear at the bedside ready to jump into. All I have to do is have a bite to eat, brew a coffee, and grab the keys. Out the door in 15 minutes. Knowing there is no work to be done makes it easier to get up.

Another thing that really motivates me to get up and go is to stay excited about your work out. Don't allow yourself to get into a gym rut and get bored. Work different programs and keep it fresh. Work out hard so you can see progress on a week to week basis. This makes you WANT it and makes it easier to get yourself there.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I'm up around 4:00 - 4:15 every day....most days I wake up before the alarm even rings.

Its not for everyone though...if you really can't get yourself movitated to get up that early, then find another workout time that works for you!

The one thing that works on the days I don't want to get out of bed, is to remind myself how much better I feel when its done. I've usually got 60 - 90 minutes of exercise done before most people hit their second snooze alarm, and that feels pretty cool!! :glasses:
  • missbrendalynn
    missbrendalynn Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Don't think about it. Get up and get going before your brain wakes up and register what's really going on :bigsmile:

Also, it only takes a couple of times before it becomes a routine. Take it from someone who used to *sleep at 6am*, I now *wake up at 6am* without an alarm.

Good luck! :flowerforyou: