Coffee as water intake?

Options

Replies

• Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    No! Coffee is the opposite of water. For every 6 oz cup of coffee you drink, you need to drink 12 oz of water just to bring you back square from a hydration standpoint. Coffee is a diuretic and causes dehydration!!!

Untrue. Plz read previous posts. Bottom line: It counts towards your water.

Yes, this. Please. I don't track my water, but if I did, I would count my coffee. Just make sure to include it on your food log too because coffee has calories along with everything you might put into it.
  • rhondatime2chg
    rhondatime2chg Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I drink unsweetened, herbal teas throughout the day, and I do count them as water. I know, its an awful, terrible thing. Call the MFP police....
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    I eat steak and log it as chicken. Sure, why not.
    Do you make steak by pushing a cow through a heated chicken? False equivalence.

:laugh:

Favorite mental image of the day.
  • Lanise_10
    Lanise_10 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I don't log any water because I know when I'm hydrated or when I'm not.

But let me put it to you this way: when you add Crystal Lite to water, does it suddenly stop being water? Does adding lemon to water make it any less water? Should you eat the packet of Crystal Lite or the lemon slice first before drinking the water so it still counts as water? Doesn't that sound ridiculous?

Most humans need to ingest around 700mg of caffeine before experiencing any diuretic effect. That's seven cups of coffee. If you want to log water, log your coffee as water.

Edited because I donked up my bolding.

^This!!!! Completely agree with you!
  • MUALaurenClark
    MUALaurenClark Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    if you count it, you may as well count your juices as water too.
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Rhon116037 - I'm with you. I don't smoke, rarely drink and coffee is my one pleasure so I'm going to continue to drink it. I don't put sugar in it (just a bit of milk....that I count) I probably drink too much in the winter but not as much in the summer. I've been drinking it for 40+ years & it hasn't killed me yet so I'm going to keep drinking it. :drinker:

My Starbucks are 350 calories a pop -- IIFYM!! It truly is the devil!! :devil: But I've managed to lose 37 lbs this year still fitting it in so it's staying!!

Enjoy your coffee @Queenbea :drinker:
  • mgreen10
    mgreen10 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    if you drink a coffee, that's a negative 1 on your water intake, in my opinion. Because it dehydrates you. Now you have to drink 9 waters that day. That said, I don't drink 8 glasses a day, like, ever. And I drink 1-2 coffees per day. And I'm fine.
  • runs_in_heels
    runs_in_heels Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    i actually track my coffee completely separately - as it's own "meal" - that way i can see just how much more water i need to drink that day... speaking of which, i need another cup
  • CharliesInCharge
    CharliesInCharge Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    don't over complicate.. just count water as water SMH

I mean if I am carrying my protein drink to my car in an open container and its raining.. I would need to add extra water to my intake right ? please
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    I count saliva as water intake. The way to measure this is simple. You just have to spit into a bottle that has ounces measured for you on the side. Once you reach an ounce, consume to your heart's content. You're welcome.
  • vrandal
    vrandal Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    No! Coffee is the opposite of water. For every 6 oz cup of coffee you drink, you need to drink 12 oz of water just to bring you back square from a hydration standpoint. Coffee is a diuretic and causes dehydration!!!
    Where did this formula come from?? Not true!
  • vrandal
    vrandal Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Oh boy - quite a lively thread isn't it?

For me personally - I only log water as water. I want to know how much "water" I've had during the day so I know if I'm reaching my quota.

I don't log my coffee but I do log the milk that I put in it.

I don't log "watermelon" as water - I log it as "watermelon" - the same for any other foods that are mostly water.

Isn't it basically a preference though? If someone wants to count their coffee (or tea) as "their water intake" isn't it their choice?
    This!
  • GinaRamp
    GinaRamp Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I count my water separately but I believe all liquids hydrate you and can be counted as water intake.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Caffeine actually dehydrates you as it is a diuretic, so you should actually be drinking another 2 cups of water for every 8oz. of black coffee you drink.

This!

I feel like I'm in the twilight zone. Is it even worth correcting this if it keeps being repeated?

To the OP -- coffee is made of water.

It actually is -- because there are a lot of people who are reading the thread for the first time, and really don't know.

You're not gonna convince True Believers no matter how many medical studies you link. They'll just repeat what their brother/personal trainer/diet guru told them. But it's the lurkers who might otherwise be convinced by pseudoscience that you need to reach.
  • Submariner5
    Options
    Caffeine actually dehydrates you as it is a diuretic, so you should actually be drinking another 2 cups of water for every 8oz. of black coffee you drink.

This is actually not true. Caffeine does have a slight diuretic effect, but not enough to off set the amount of actual water contained in the cup of coffee. The net effect of drinking coffee is a hydrating effect, not dehydration. Coffee hydrates about 80% as well as water.
  • born2drum
    born2drum Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    NO because it dehydrates you, duh! That's like tracking light beer as water. TROLL!
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options

^ This
  • Submariner5
    Options

And if your ear itches then someone is talking about you!
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options

^ This

Still not true. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/caffeinated-drinks/AN01661
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

^ This

Still not true. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/caffeinated-drinks/AN01661

Bless you susannamarie. :flowerforyou: