frustrated

Options
nutritionist put me on 2000 cal. I swim a mile 4-5 days a week. lost 10 lbs. in 10 days ,then stoped loosing. Averaging 1800 cal.
a day intake. wonder why I'm not loosing. I weigh 282 lbs. so there is plenty to work with. HELP!!!!

Replies

• stfuriada
    stfuriada Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    How are your measurements though? Lose any inches? Clothes fit better?
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Time frames? How long have you been trying to lose weight? How long since you last lost anything? Your diary is not public, so no one can look at that to give you suggestions. Are you weighing and logging everything?
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Patience.
  • merle2
    merle2 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Clothes do feel looser and belt in lower notch. I guess I should feel good about that. I just updated myfitnesspal goals
    and it indicated I should eat 1600 cal. daily so I'll try that for a while. I need to loose 90 lbs.
  • Zibberroo
    Zibberroo Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I had this problem too. I lost thirteen pounds in two weeks, then actually started gaining weight. Jillian Michaels wrote an article on plateaus, stating that they do not exist. The body requires certain things that maintain that continued weight loss. If your properly measuring your calories in and out, and confirm that your deficit is present, then you need to review something called electrolytes. The sports drinks available will only add empty calories, as they are filled with sugar. I had the fortunate grace to ask Jillian Michaels for advice on the situation, as I had a deficit of over 3,500 calories. She told me to drink coconut water. I chose Vita Coco, as it seemed the best In my research. I started losing weight again almost immediately. Also keep in mind, muscle weighs more than fat, per size. You will spend days where your weight will balance out due to this changing of the guard. Do not give up, as that will only make you more miserable or frustrated.
  • merle2
    Options
    I started this effort Oct. 8. Lost 10 and then stoped loosing. I do log every bite, drink the water, watch the carbs, protine, and fat.
    only eat wheat bread when I eat bread, Lot's of steamed vegies. Protine is mostly fish and chicken grilled. No fried or white
    stuff. No sugar. Eat brackfast, mid morning snack, lunch, afternoon snack, and dinner.
    Lots of salads with L fat dressing.

I should be melting like an ice cube. It takes me 50 min. to swim the mile so I'm not dog paddling. That is a good exercise
    if one has joint or back problems.
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    diary is closed so no suggestions
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    You've lost 10 lbs in 16 days.......... I don't really see the issue?
  • bkyoun
    bkyoun Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    If you started October 8th, you are only 2 weeks in. Be patient! It takes time.
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    You've lost 10 lbs in 16 days.......... I don't really see the issue?

This. Absolutely!

Weight loss is not linear. It will go in fits and starts and your weight loss graph will likely look like a roller coaster. 10 pounds over 16 days is INCREDIBLE. Have patience! You didn't gain the weight over night and you aren't going to lose it over night either.
  • klaff411
    klaff411 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I started this effort Oct. 8. Lost 10 and then stoped loosing. I do log every bite, drink the water, watch the carbs, protine, and fat.
    only eat wheat bread when I eat bread, Lot's of steamed vegies. Protine is mostly fish and chicken grilled. No fried or white
    stuff. No sugar. Eat brackfast, mid morning snack, lunch, afternoon snack, and dinner.
    Lots of salads with L fat dressing.

I should be melting like an ice cube. It takes me 50 min. to swim the mile so I'm not dog paddling. That is a good exercise
    if one has joint or back problems.

Okay. Well you need to be patient. I'm not sure what your expecting? Weight loss takes a long time, so does building a record of healthy habits and choices. I've been at this since last April. I've lost a bit more than my ticker says, but I didn't count water weight -- I started at 250.

1. Stop looking at the scale every day. (pick one day a week as the day of weighing)
    2.FOCUS ON PORTION CONTROL(3 oz is a reasonable portion of chicken breast, most people eat double that!)
    3. WATER WATER WATER WATER - I drink about a gallon or more a day.
    4. NO SODA. Period. Stop drinking it. (soda is a dietetic and will make you retain water, increase your drive to eat because it dehydrates you. If you are drinking regular soda dont need to explain how its empty pointless carbs/calories)
    5. CARBS - limit them. The less bread, pasta, baked goods. The better off you will be. Focus on lean protein and veggies. Fruit should also be eaten in moderation since its high carbs. Just because its "wheat" bread doesn't mean it is. Grainy bread is high fiber. They sell it at trader joes or most HF stores. You can also bake your own bread which is amazing!
    6. LIMIT PROCESSED FOODS - anything you buy off a store shelf is suspect. Hidden sugar, chemicals, etc. Nothing is better than fresh foods. If you want veggies buy them fresh and cook them. Don't buy canned or frozen. They have preservatives and added salt. The freezing process removes nearly all the nutrients. I don't think I've bought a frozen anything in the past 8 months. It only takes 10-15 mins of prep time to make a fresh meal. Some of the frozen stuff people buy like those "lean cuisine" dinners, are loaded with salt. They won't leave you satisfied.

Remember that you have very fatty liver right now. Your body needs to burn all the fat out of your liver and the glucose in your muscles first. The loss you made so far is likely water. The best thing for that is exercise and strength training specifically. Cardio is great, but you also need to be doing some resistance based training as well.

Oh on a side note, Low calorie dressings are not really Lcal. They are high carb and high salt. Balsamic vinegar or just a little red wine vinegar is probably a better choice. If you don't like the taste of iceberg lettuce, and I don't blame you there, try baby greens or spinach salad with a little tuna mixed in.

Iceberg lettuce has no nutritional value, you might as well eat newspaper.

Your body will adjust. Follow your doctor's advice and continue to journal. If you open up your diary we can help you a bit more.

Good luck!
  • merle2
    Options
    Sounds like good advice from everyone. Thanks!!!