Thoughts on the biggest loser?

Options
Just curious to see what everyone thinks of the show.

Replies

• mrsamanda86
    mrsamanda86 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I love it because I enjoy the heck out of Jillian. It definitely isn't realistic and probably gives some people unrealistic expectations when losing weight, but whatever. That's their issue. I love competitive type reality tv so yeah...Plus Dolvett and Bob are very pretty to look at :)
  • TattedInStilettos
    TattedInStilettos Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I want to be a contestant...
  • nimbi
    nimbi Posts: 27
    Options
    I wouldn't be surprised if they killed a contestant one day.
  • xmysterix
    xmysterix Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I think the people on that show need a lot of therapy before anything else.

Also, I used to manage some sideshow performers and it reminds me of what freakshows used to be a long time ago, exploitation and ridicule under the guise of entertainment.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I think the show is dangerous and borders on bullying.

No one needs to exercise that hard to be healthy. A solid workout shouldn't make you vomit. And the challenges that play mind-game with contestants (like eat as many cupcakes as you can, and get an advantage!) are no way to learn healthy habits.

I would love to see the show pulled from the air. It is not entertainment and it is not healthy.
  • Anita_hoar12345
    Options
    the cookbooks have nice recipes
    They don't need to be so mean to the people on the show. I used to watch it all the time when it first started but I don't like when they are yelling at people who are trying their best to lose weight.
  • candiceh3
    candiceh3 Posts: 379
    Options
    Awful awful awful show. Unhealthy to the max.
  • graceire
    graceire Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Hate it.
  • GradatimFerociter
    GradatimFerociter Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I do watch it, but I'm not under and illusions regarding the nature of the results. It is more about seeing people training - I find it gently motivating. I'm sure the show does sell the myth that there is a simple panacea for our sadness, our insecurities and the things in our lives we wish were different (that panacea being drastic, swift weight loss). At the end of the day though everyone has a right to make their own decisions and nobody is forced to go on the show. It is probably exploitative and it is potentially dangerous but in the age of the internet people are able to equip themselves with as much or as little knowledge as they want so if knowing adults want to take the opportunities afforded them by participation in the show - such as they are - I probably think they should be allowed to do so.

This all being said, I would obviously favour greater transparency and regulation.
  • kiwidrop
    kiwidrop Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I'm torn on the show. I don't watch it because it bothers me, but I've seen a few episodes. It really gets to me because I don't like the public weigh-ins, getting kicked off for not losing fast enough, the super intense workouts, the way it appears contestants don't receive on-going support after leaving the show, etc. BUT, that is the encouragement, embarrassment, and pushing that some people need to lose the weight. I'm truly believe in whatever works for you and keeps you healthy is the best, but........... I couldn't do it.
  • baldzach
    baldzach Posts: 1,841 Member
    Options
    I watch it for workout / exercise ideas. :)
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    There is worse trash on tv that is for sure.. reality tv is by far the dumbest form of entertainment on tv. I just find it funny when people join this site and quit when they find out they don't lose 10 lbs in a week.
  • Victoria2448
    Victoria2448 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I think the show is dangerous and borders on bullying.

No one needs to exercise that hard to be healthy. A solid workout shouldn't make you vomit. And the challenges that play mind-game with contestants (like eat as many cupcakes as you can, and get an advantage!) are no way to learn healthy habits.

I would love to see the show pulled from the air. It is not entertainment and it is not healthy.

I agree!
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I dislike it - and reality shows like it in the sense that they take 30 minutes of footage and drag it out to 45. The moments leading up to weigh ins or dramatic moments consist of filler shots of people's faces and dramatic music and then JUST before something happens they cut to commercial. Then after the commercial they show the last 2-3 minutes of footage before getting to the point. I find it incredibly annoying even when watching on Netflix where there are no commercials.

Also the unrealistic side of it that people above have already pointed out.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    seen one episode didnt like it. Hated the way it sets up the expectations, hated the way it was like everything else in media a quick fix to a long term problem.

I like the way BBC does this type of programming. My favorite shows are Secret Eater and Supersize vs. superskinny
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    I think if it helps a single person make a change in their life it's worth it. Sometimes it takes shows like this (no matter how unrealistic) for someone to say, hey! if that person is as big as I am and they can do that, so can I!

I don't watch it, but only because I'm in school at night while working during the day so even if I had a DVR I wouldn't have the time :)
  • Brige2269
    Brige2269 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    They pick overweight people who have never exercised or even walked. Ones who have never tried. Makes for a better show when they cry and barf. :ohwell:

If any of us who have worked out before and are use to it, tried out, they would never pick us, cos we would be too boring! :laugh:
  • taylorwaylor
    taylorwaylor Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I love it! Its so motivating and i just love seeing people lose weight... That show usually makes me cry lol. They might not be losing it the best way, but they are learning how to be more healthy than they were!
  • T_Roc
    T_Roc Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    no problem with it