picky eater

Options
With weight loss this is my main problem, I'm such a picky eater.. I like very few veggies (green beans, banana peppers, green peppers, onions "if cooked right" and corn "which technically isn't a veggie") what can i do? I love fruits, but they don't seem to fill me up.. i hate yogurt and milk.. I don't eat salads or anything leafy besides greens and a little cabbage now and then.. any suggestion?

Replies

• gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    well, weight loss happens when you have a calorie deficit, so you can still eat what you always ate, just less. You could google the twinkie diet and see an extreme example of that.

http://www.acaloriecounter.com/blog/why-am-i-not-losing-weight/

Having said that I love veggies and I do believe that a decent variety of veggies are essential to a nutritious diet, but that is not necessary for weight loss.
  • jecalloway91
    Options
    Thanks for the advice!
  • amaodonnell
    amaodonnell Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Giggles is right, it is all about creating a deficit, but you should be aware that later on down the line your body is going to want more good stuff in it to keep progressing your weight loss. Consider doing something where you can hide veggies and not think about them being in there. I know there are a lot of smoothies and juices out there that have veggies in them, but you can only taste the fruit. Just be careful to not over indulge on those because they can be high in sugar content as well.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    There's also the choice where you grow up and learn to eat things you think you don't like. Food isn't supposed to "fill you up", it's to provide fuel for your body. Eating Twinkies at a deficit will lead to weight loss so you can eat the things you want to as long as you stay in your budget but if you're eating a lot of carbs you aren't going to keep that full feeling you're seeking.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    There's also the choice where you grow up and learn to eat things you think you don't like.

That's exactly what I was going to say. Picky eaters are one of my biggest pet peeves.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    There's also the choice where you grow up and learn to eat things you think you don't like.

That's exactly what I was going to say. Picky eaters are one of my biggest pet peeves.

It's the reason why my kids had to eat their veggies every meal before they got other stuff. My son would have lived on chicken nuggets and fries if I'd allowed it. It's so sad to see a grown adult picking around at food and refusing to eat things. I understand people don't like some things (I hate the taste and texture of squash) but when I hear statements like I don't eat vegetables it makes me cringe.
  • emilyisbonkers
    emilyisbonkers Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    try branching out and eating more veg, they really are delicious
  • jecalloway91
    Options

I'm sorry I'm one of your pet peeves, but I'm pretty sure you don't like every single thing you have tried.. so with that being said, if you don't have some kind of advice for the topic at hand then your comment was very useless.. have a good day
  • illuvatree
    illuvatree Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I'm a picky eater too. Onions and peppers? Never. Mushrooms? No way. And so many low cal recipes have those things in them. I know you said you like some of the veggies I hate! What you could do is make a soup with the veggies that you like and a grain, like pearled cous cous or rice. When I make soup, I usually put pearled cous cous in it with spinach, green beans, cauliflower, and broccoli, etc. But since you like things like peppers and onions (when cooked right!) maybe you could try adding those instead with green beans. Soup is pretty filling and depending on what you put in it, fairly low cal.
  • jecalloway91
    Options

This is true and i have added things such as the peppers, cabbage, onions, ect.. But there are still things that i won't eat.. Some foods that I ate growing up (such as eggs) i don't eat now.. its just personal preference, but like I've stated before i was looking for advice on the subject and this part of your comment was not very useful.. but thank you.. have a good day
  • jecalloway91
    Options
    I'm a picky eater too. Onions and peppers? Never. Mushrooms? No way. And so many low cal recipes have those things in them. I know you said you like some of the veggies I hate! What you could do is make a soup with the veggies that you like and a grain, like pearled cous cous or rice. When I make soup, I usually put pearled cous cous in it with spinach, green beans, cauliflower, and broccoli, etc. But since you like things like peppers and onions (when cooked right!) maybe you could try adding those instead with green beans. Soup is pretty filling and depending on what you put in it, fairly low cal.

Thanks! I will have to try this
  • illuvatree
    Options

Thanks! I will have to try this

No prob! I started working in a health food store to get more ideas. There are usually healthier options for foods that are liked by several. For example, I don't like mayo, but for those who do and want a healthier option with no cholesterol, there's Vegenaise. It's made of soy, but as far as I can tell (by others' reports, lol) it tastes great and smells the same. At the store I work at, we put it on the deli salads and most of the sandwiches as a mayo alternative, and people seem pretty pleased with it. So the moral of the story is, if you have a store like this by you, definitely stop by sometime because they might have ideas as well! You can also buy soup stuff in bulk there, which in the long run, is cheaper than buying it packaged.
  • oiseau17
    oiseau17 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Have you tried roasting your veggies? Roasting is seriously the secret to delicious vegetables :) You can roast most everything, but I'd start with either zucchini, cauliflower, or my favorite, Brussels sprouts. Cut zucchini spears, slice the cauliflower, or cut the sprouts in half, toss with olive oil, sprinkle with a good salt and spread them out flat side down on a baking sheet. You can google oven temp and time for each. When they're nice and tender with a bit of browning take them out and toss with romano cheese (the other secret to delicious veggies). When I was a kid, my mom boiled or steamed all veggies and they were meh, but roasting makes everything better.

(edited for typo)
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    change what you like so you can be who you want to be.

those pickinesses are part of the person/lifestyle you want to leave behind.
  • Lizajayne23
    Lizajayne23 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Roasting is the only way that I've managed to eat more veggies like broccoli, cauliflower and kale (as chips dried in the oven). I'll eat green beans most ways, but they are yummy roasted, too! I toss my veggies with a little olive oil, garlic, and parmesan (usually the powdered kind) then roast in the oven. They're more manageable this way and I can get them down without gagging which is a huge improvement over every other way I've tried to eat them and failed.
  • illuvatree
    Options

I'm not the OP obviously, but I just want to throw in that that can be hard for some people.

Some picky eaters have reasons behind it. Foods I'm picky about usually make me nauseous for instance, just being around them. Of course, it depends on how they're cooked and how strong the scent is, but it's tough for some picky eaters to just stop being that way, you know?
  • illuvatree
    Options
    Roasting is the only way that I've managed to eat more veggies like broccoli, cauliflower and kale (as chips dried in the oven). I'll eat green beans most ways, but they are yummy roasted, too! I toss my veggies with a little olive oil, garlic, and parmesan (usually the powdered kind) then roast in the oven. They're more manageable this way and I can get them down without gagging which is a huge improvement over every other way I've tried to eat them and failed.

Seconding kale chips! I don't mind kale, but I'm not the biggest fan of its flavor.

But roast it and make it into chips and, for me, it's hard to stop eating it.
  • nicolen160
    nicolen160 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    With weight loss this is my main problem, I'm such a picky eater.. I like very few veggies (green beans, banana peppers, green peppers, onions "if cooked right" and corn "which technically isn't a veggie") what can i do? I love fruits, but they don't seem to fill me up.. i hate yogurt and milk.. I don't eat salads or anything leafy besides greens and a little cabbage now and then.. any suggestion?

I have lost 88lbs so far and I am the world's pickest eater... I only green beans, peas and potatoes and no fruits at all!!! If I can do this so can you! I have come to love V8 Fusion ( I always get light, since it has less sugar) but it has a serving of fruits and veggies in it. That's how I start my day everyday! I eat just about anything, I just watch how much I eat, you can do it!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options

I'm not the OP obviously, but I just want to throw in that that can be hard for some people.

Some picky eaters have reasons behind it. Foods I'm picky about usually make me nauseous for instance, just being around them. Of course, it depends on how they're cooked and how strong the scent is, but it's tough for some picky eaters to just stop being that way, you know?

100% agreed.

but you can compromise with yourself and at least try the things that dont cause you to projectile vomit by preparing them in different ways or something.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    my palette changed considerably as i got older. i now love things like string beans, asparagus, and brussel sprouts, along with peppers and onions, tomatoes, avocados, carrots, zucchini, eggplant, and others.

i will concede that they do have to be cooked a certain way. i'm not a big fan of them steamed. i will eat them mostly grilled/roasted, and in some cases, raw (like spinach).

so just eat what you do eat, and don't mind the pickiness. honestly, it doesn't sound THAT picky. my nephew eats like, five different things.